Can a car sub be used for HT/music in a 18x13x9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By trilkb
  • 1 Post By brian6751
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2
  • 1 Post By Randy_J
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can a car sub be used for HT/music in a 18x13x9

I had my subwoofer of choice on order now for about 5 weeks and have finally given up. I have been looking at the custom DIY subwoofer route and have become fond of building a sub and using a Crown I-Tech 6000 amp. I really like the idea of using the Crown amp since I am using a Crown CDi 4300 for my mains and really like the adjustability of the crown amp through Audio Architect. So, with 4000 to 5000watts at my disposal now I just have to choose a sub and the extreme car audio subs peek my interest but have been told that car subs don't work well in a HT setting. Can anyone shed a little light on this topic and if it will indeed work well?

Thank you in advance
Eric Freedman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 06:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Who ever told you that car subs dont work for ht is wrong. But if your choosing one for that make sure it goes as low as you want it to frequency wise. Im actually thinking of using my image dynamics idmax 12 for ht and music use.
stngray72 is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
Who ever told you that car subs dont work for ht is wrong. But if your choosing one for that make sure it goes as low as you want it to frequency wise. Im actually thinking of using my image dynamics idmax 12 for ht and music use.
Thank you for the reply!

I was thinking the same thing but he seemed to be pretty adamant about it. So, if I were to be starting from scratch and had a choice of subs what would be a great option? I know I don't want to go 18" because of the box size requirements. 15" should be ok from what I've seen on the manufactures website with a ported box around 3-6 sq ft. With my limited research and knownledge I have been looking at all the mainstream TOLT car subs like; Orion HCCA 15,Sundown ZV5 15, Fi Team 4, Skar ZVX15.v2. Any other sub and box recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Eric Freedman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 1,876
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 703
The Infinity 1260/1262 used to be a good budget driver for HT (no longer in production).
The JBL GX/CX series is currently very popular.

Model whatever driver you're asking about and see.
smcmillan2 is online now  
post #5 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 1,170
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 323
With today's dsp, car subs can work in ht very well.

The easiest ones are alpine type s and type r. Build a ported box tuned to low 20s and go. The quadhorn turns a type s into a complete monster. Those subs just require an amp. Then you get into our favorite, the JBL 12. These need dsp amps to work properly.

It really depends on your space, some subwoofers are geared towards car audio applications and some towards home theater. But it's not set in stone. You can break the rules for sure.
18Hurts likes this.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
trilkb is online now  
post #6 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
The Infinity 1260/1262 used to be a good budget driver for HT (no longer in production).
The JBL GX/CX series is currently very popular.

Model whatever driver you're asking about and see.
Not to be a snob or anything but I'm not really interested in budget subs. I would like to build it once and be done with it.

Sorry for the NOOB question but what software do you recommend for modeling subs and enclosures?
Eric Freedman is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 1,876
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Freedman View Post
Not to be a snob or anything but I'm not really interested in budget subs. I would like to build it once and be done with it.
Point being, those are known as "car subs", but are widely used for HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Freedman
Sorry for the NOOB question but what software do you recommend for modeling subs and enclosures?
WinISD - http://www.linearteam.org/
Hornresp - http://www.hornresp.net/
smcmillan2 is online now  
post #8 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 06:40 AM
Senior Member
 
4fit?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Freedman View Post
Not to be a snob or anything but I'm not really interested in budget subs. I would like to build it once and be done with it.



Sorry for the NOOB question but what software do you recommend for modeling subs and enclosures?
WinISD.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
4fit? is online now  
post #9 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rlj5242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Southaven, MS
Posts: 3,424
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Freedman View Post
Thank you for the reply!

I was thinking the same thing but he seemed to be pretty adamant about it. So, if I were to be starting from scratch and had a choice of subs what would be a great option? I know I don't want to go 18" because of the box size requirements. 15" should be ok from what I've seen on the manufactures website with a ported box around 3-6 sq ft. With my limited research and knownledge I have been looking at all the mainstream TOLT car subs like; Orion HCCA 15,Sundown ZV5 15, Fi Team 4, Skar ZVX15.v2. Any other sub and box recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
With Fi as well as PSI and PAP, you can get the subs custom built to your specs.


As far as box recommendations, you have already given your max size. If you take a little time and read some threads, we all usually go as big as possible.


Finally, I suggest that you slow down and learn some design steps before building. You have already asked about modeling subs so learn what happens when a specific parameter changes. I was hooked on this hobby when I bought a book on designing speakers from Radio Shack back in 1986.
rlj5242 is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
It's hard to justify using most car subs when you have stereo integrity making subs geared towards home theater that are just as powerful and can handle any abuse you throw at them.

But sundown is also an amazing company, and their ZV5 is very capable for HT and if you buy directly from them and say you want it geared towards HT they will hook you up.

Sundown and Stereo Integrity actually share a building and a lot of parts and information with each other.
Kameron King is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 08:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Btw, avoid Orion like the plague.
Kameron King is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameron King View Post
Btw, avoid Orion like the plague.
agreed

Im also not a huge fan of sundown because I feel like they are overpriced and over hyped subs.

Last edited by stngray72; 04-28-2019 at 09:43 AM.
stngray72 is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a suggested sub for end game DIY subs builds that people use? What really makes a car sub a car sub and a HT sub such? If power isnt an issue and I wanted loud thundering bass to full the room what would the top pics be?

I will check out the winisd software when I get home. I've never modeled a sub/enclosure before. Is there any specific guidelines to follow or any suggestions I need to know?
Eric Freedman is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 6,978
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
https://stereointegrity.com/product/hs24-24-subwoofer/
smcmillan2 likes this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
brian6751 is online now  
post #15 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trilkb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 1,170
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Freedman View Post
Is there a suggested sub for end game DIY subs builds that people use? What really makes a car sub a car sub and a HT sub such? If power isnt an issue and I wanted loud thundering bass to full the room what would the top pics be?

I will check out the winisd software when I get home. I've never modeled a sub/enclosure before. Is there any specific guidelines to follow or any suggestions I need to know?
Have a chat with @BassThatHz

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
trilkb is online now  
post #16 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Tbh sundown is one of the only progressing car audio brands that put true engineering and r&d into the products to keep improving on them continuously. Most the newer brands on the scene are cooking cutter brands just ordering out of a catalog and driving the prices down so low that true R&D companies like sundown, jk, Rockford, etc..., cannot afford to stay in business. These becomes an issue because now the only companies left in the industry give nothing to the progression.
Kameron King is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 1,876
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post
Agree with this. If you're looking for others, check out the Fi HT line.

Not understanding why the OP is locked into "car audio" subs.
smcmillan2 is online now  
post #18 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Agree with this. If you're looking for others, check out the Fi HT line.

Not understanding why the OP is locked into "car audio" subs.
Please read post #3 . I wish I could build/fit a 24" sub in the game.... just not happening with the WAF if you know what I mean.
Eric Freedman is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stngray72 View Post
agreed

Im also not a huge fan of sundown because I feel like they are overpriced and over hyped subs.
I have been using Sundown Audio for mobile applications for years and I think that their products are top notch.
ClevelandFreeman is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM
Senior Member
 
dTorC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 137
To answer one of your questions, generally HT subs will have a more compliant suspension than car audio do. I've spoken to the guys at Fi Car Audio and PSI Car Audio and they both told me the same thing - if you request a sub to be built of HT use, they will use spiders that are less stiff than their car audio counterparts.
dTorC4 is online now  
post #21 of 28 Old 04-29-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI, USA
Posts: 1,876
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Freedman View Post
Please read post #3 . I wish I could build/fit a 24" sub in the game.... just not happening with the WAF if you know what I mean.
Smaller drivers that have been successfully used in HT applications. I'm saying don't lock yourself into just those brands known for car audio:

http://stereointegrity.com/product/hst15-15-subwoofer/

https://www.parts-express.com/peerle...SABEgL_t_D_BwE

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-coil--295-514 and the 12" https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...-coil--295-512

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...4-ohm--295-469
Heide264 likes this.
smcmillan2 is online now  
post #22 of 28 Old 04-29-2019, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Maple Grove MN
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Freedman View Post
Please read post #3 . I wish I could build/fit a 24" sub in the game.... just not happening with the WAF if you know what I mean.


Oh come on you can do it. My wife doesn't understand any of it so i had to conceal mine. Then after all the work of building the box we bought a new house and now i will have a dedicated room. But it is possible to hide even the huge Hs-24. You just have to be creative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190101_150751.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	810.7 KB
ID:	2559806  
Heide264 likes this.
Randy_J is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 04-29-2019, 10:59 AM
Member
 
drewp29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern Colorado
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 48
You could build a Marty Cube and stay within your size constraints. <- that would be my recommendation, and if you search the Marty thread, I'm sure you could find a range of drivers suited for them with higher power handling. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...tysub-faq.html


Or you could go 6 cubic feet sealed with a very capable high x-max driver and DSP the low end to suit. With the Crown and something like the FI HT-3, you could get great results with some low end EQ and a sealed box. If you have already waited 5 months and are getting irritated, I would not suggest the Stereo Integrity drivers since they are built by hand to order and take awhile to receive. I would think FI could get you an HT-3 in a couple weeks, but don't know what their track record is on delivery times with the new lines. SI does however, make incredible drivers. Probably the best HT oriented drivers at this time.
drewp29 is online now  
post #24 of 28 Old 04-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Fi is well known in the car audio scene for their extreme wait times for anything you order. Even more so than stereo integrity. I know people who ordered things on Black Friday and just got their order during the middle of last month. If time is of any concern, Fi is not the place to go.

Just a heads up
Kameron King is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 04-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
JCJetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 672
PSI took over 3 weeks for my custom 12s to be built. Then the Black Friday order of the 18s about a year later took 2 weeks, and he quoted me over a month. But summer builds are gearing up, so who knows how long it might take?
JCJetta is online now  
post #26 of 28 Old 04-29-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,064
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Freedman View Post
I had my subwoofer of choice on order now for about 5 weeks and have finally given up. I have been looking at the custom DIY subwoofer route and have become fond of building a sub and using a Crown I-Tech 6000 amp. I really like the idea of using the Crown amp since I am using a Crown CDi 4300 for my mains and really like the adjustability of the crown amp through Audio Architect. So, with 4000 to 5000watts at my disposal now I just have to choose a sub and the extreme car audio subs peek my interest but have been told that car subs don't work well in a HT setting. Can anyone shed a little light on this topic and if it will indeed work well?

Thank you in advance
The JBL GX/CX series as someone already mentioned are well loved around here, and can sometimes be had for crazy prices on a black friday special, of course this is April. I know your looking for the end game, and is 24" is out of the question, get as many 12" woofers as you can fit within WAF and turn the box to the desired tuning. But be careful, this IS AVS and budget creep is a very real thing here. That said there is a great thread here where a guy too a 24" sub used it down firing from a end table. From what he said it was heavy enough and braced enough that it wouldn't know things over sitting on top of it.
liffie420 is online now  
post #27 of 28 Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Member
 
drewp29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Southern Colorado
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameron King View Post
Fi is well known in the car audio scene for their extreme wait times for anything you order. Even more so than stereo integrity. I know people who ordered things on Black Friday and just got their order during the middle of last month. If time is of any concern, Fi is not the place to go.

Just a heads up
Good to know, thanks! Ditto with SI on the Black Friday orders showing up the middle of last month, there was actually a thread a few weeks ago asking about when people have received their SI orders, and the order in question was placed on Black Friday I believe.

I would think FI would be decent based on having a build house that makes their drivers for them in Vegas, but apparently I am wrong.

That being said, I'm not sure what the wait times are for PSI, but they will definitely custom build you a driver that is very high quality and more HT oriented.

Depending on where you are located (East Coast, West Coast, somewhere in-between), you could get a hold of Pierce Audio out of Washington State. I know Gorilla Killa had great results with communication and the wait time was only like 3 weeks for a custom build.

At any rate, I definitely wouldn't limit myself to 15s as a max size. Plenty of 18s will be capable of fitting boxes in your size range, and the extra cone area is definitely worth it. Just realize that no matter what you go with, a single sub is only capable of so much SPL, and odds are (especially around these parts of AVS) you will want MOAR in short order after experiencing real bass.
drewp29 is online now  
post #28 of 28 Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
dTorC4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
The JBL GX/CX series as someone already mentioned are well loved around here, and can sometimes be had for crazy prices on a black friday special, of course this is April. I know your looking for the end game, and is 24" is out of the question, get as many 12" woofers as you can fit within WAF and turn the box to the desired tuning. But be careful, this IS AVS and budget creep is a very real thing here. That said there is a great thread here where a guy too a 24" sub used it down firing from a end table. From what he said it was heavy enough and braced enough that it wouldn't know things over sitting on top of it.
Those 12" GX subs frequently go on sale from Best Buy. They've been $29 at least three times this month. Go to the last few pages of this thread to see how often they have gone on sale. Somebody will usually post when they are up for grabs again. Or just check the Best Buy page they are on daily to see when they go on sale again.
dTorC4 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off