Big box in the next room over? An idea... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Jk7.2
  • 1 Post By markmon1

post #1 of 10 Old 04-28-2019, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Big box in the next room over? An idea...

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered already. I'm thinking this must have been done before, but Google isn't much help.

I have a friend who is thinking about adding a sub to his home theater setup after coming to my house to listen to mine. However, he's not sure he can get away with a big enclosure (WAF). If he can't, I suggested maybe the sub box could actually be in the storage room, which is right next to his HT room. I'm thinking if he built a huge bandpass box, all he'd need is a small cutout in the wall for the port (could be made to look like a regular vent). The box could be as big as is reasonable since it's in the storage room, but the port protrudes from the wall slightly in the HT room. Am I crazy for suggesting this?

FYI, I told him that this would be crazy without first taking a big sub (I would let him test with mine) into his HT room and placing it about where on the wall the port would reside, to make sure that it sounds good from where his seating is. I'm thinking maybe the best way to that would be to face the test sub toward the wall. Would that be correct?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-28-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
It’s been done and it’s not a problem. Ported, Sealed, Horn, doesn’t matter.

Good idea if he can pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #3 of 10 Old 04-28-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 137
There are outdoor sub kits as well that use what basically amounts to a vent pipe to output the sound from the enclosure to the desired location.

https://www.amazon.com/Niles-GSS10-Speaker/dp/B007T5YV0Y/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=niles+gss10&qid=155651605 5&s=electronics&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

He could definitely do what you suggested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Your suggestion to place a sub in room and confirm good response is wise. Especially when considering the amount of work to put a sub through a wall.

Don't forget, you can reverse the positions of the sub and listener for testing if it helps with moving things around. Depending on the size of the storage room, you could go with a horn, say, Submaximus V3 I sure would!
post #5 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for confirming, I’m still kind of a newbie. I had no idea you could swap sub and listener positions, so thanks for the idea! That sure would have come in handy when I was trying to figure out where to place mine, still might, in fact. It’s not set in stone yet, in fact it’s still on the furniture dolly!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 2569

Sounds like a killer opportunity for an IB manifold.
4fit?, markmon1 and krholmberg like this.

Last edited by Jk7.2; 04-29-2019 at 08:30 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrag4 View Post
Thanks for confirming, I’m still kind of a newbie. I had no idea you could swap sub and listener positions, so thanks for the idea! That sure would have come in handy when I was trying to figure out where to place mine, still might, in fact. It’s not set in stone yet, in fact it’s still on the furniture dolly!
There are some specific hints for it too. It's usually referred to as the "sub crawl" due the placement options usually being along the floor Use that as a search term and have fun!
post #8 of 10 Old 04-29-2019, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk7.2 View Post
Sounds like a killer opportunity for an IB manifold.
I know what an IB is, but I don't know what an IB manifold is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
There are some specific hints for it too. It's usually referred to as the "sub crawl" due the placement options usually being along the floor Use that as a search term and have fun!
I haven't heard of this term, either.

Looks like I have some more stuff to research. Thanks, guys!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-30-2019, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrag4 View Post
I know what an IB is, but I don't know what an IB manifold is.

I haven't heard of this term, either.

Looks like I have some more stuff to research. Thanks, guys!

The manifold is what you see in the picture you quoted. It’s a “box” built to hold the IB drivers. For IB, you want as many drivers as you can depending on the size of the room they’re going in. At minimum you want at least 2. For example, that room pictured is using 4 drivers set in horizontally opposed manifolds to negate vibration. However, it could have also been accomplished with 1 manifold with 4 drivers.

Sub crawl is exactly as it sounds. However, a better, more scientific way is to download REW. You’d need a mic and a laptop. But, running sweeps is the best way to determine sub location. The Sub crawl is a good alternative, but not as accurate as using a mix and REW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #10 of 10 Old 04-30-2019, 01:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
Infinite baffle is the way to go here. You absolutely cannot beat IB subs with an enclosure for pure sound quality. I use my theater gear closet for an infinite baffle housing 4 15's. You can get away with a single driver if you didn't need the SPL for more (you do not need to fill the room). The reason people dont do IB subs most the time is because they don't have the air space for it. If you are building in a separate room you have the air space.

Someone has 2x new, unused FI 18 infinite baffles for sale here on the forum for a decent price also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subs in closet.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	723.0 KB
ID:	2560342  
Jk7.2 likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page