4x8 DIY treatments for Music Venue - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By notnyt
  • 1 Post By dasa2131
  • 2 Post By gil393
  • 1 Post By gil393

post #1 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 483
4x8 DIY treatments for Music Venue

My buddy just opened a music venue and he wants to treat the ceilings and above the music stage. He did professional treatments for the walls but given that it’s a large concrete venue and the out of site ceiling we are thinking about doing 4x8 treatments with large panels of OC 703 and hanging the frames via chain to hooks in the ceiling.

Any real risks with using 2x4’s if I use 6 or 8 chains to hold them up? What should I use to hold in the OC 703? I think we’ll wrap them in black burlap.

Thoughts?

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 310 Post(s)
Quoted: 3724 Post(s)
Liked: 3690
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
My buddy just opened a music venue and he wants to treat the ceilings and above the music stage. He did professional treatments for the walls but given that it’s a large concrete venue and the out of site ceiling we are thinking about doing 4x8 treatments with large panels of OC 703 and hanging the frames via chain to hooks in the ceiling.

Any real risks with using 2x4’s if I use 6 or 8 chains to hold them up? What should I use to hold in the OC 703? I think we’ll wrap them in black burlap.

Thoughts?
Don't see a problem as long as they're anchored properly. This is what I did for my ceiling treatments. I also used Roxul Rockboard 60 because it's much nicer to work with than glass.

I used #8 eye hooks. They were 2.5" long, 1.5" of straight part. Straight into the studs.

Craig S King, 4fit? and OJ Bartley like this.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Don't see a problem as long as they're anchored properly. This is what I did for my ceiling treatments. I also used Roxul Rockboard 60 because it's much nicer to work with than glass.

I used #8 eye hooks. They were 2.5" long, 1.5" of straight part. Straight into the studs.

Those turned out really nice!
notnyt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:

At 140db, surely those things shake and flail around like crazy in your room...right?

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #5 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
At 140db, surely those things shake and flail around like crazy in your room...right?
not at all
post #6 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Maybe use mounting wires instead of chains if you're going to suspend...
post #7 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
not at all
How are you anchoring the wall mounted treatments? Just trying to obtain ideas for when the time comes I employ treatments.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #8 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
How are you anchoring the wall mounted treatments? Just trying to obtain ideas for when the time comes I employ treatments.
french cleat on top, thick layer of felt or something on the bottom for when the walls move Super easy to remove. Some of the treatments like the ones to the sides of the screen were made to fit exactly into the window frames
post #9 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Thoughts?

Given the cost and lack of OC 703 in my area I think I’m going to go win Denim. That’s what I used for my treatments at home and I really liked them!

Plus the cost differential is better given how many 4x8’s we’re constructing

post #10 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Given the cost and lack of OC 703 in my area I think I’m going to go win Denim. That’s what I used for my treatments at home and I really liked them!

Plus the cost differential is better given how many 4x8’s we’re constructing
what about roxul 60? You should be able to get either from a local supplier
post #11 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Thoughts?
First thought, commercial venue, burlap wrapped ceiling panels, what could go wrong? You need/should meet fire codes and I doubt that untreated burlap on the ceiling will be allowed. Even treated burlap is an issue since it must be re-treated every so often.

I have a large non commercial venue that does not need to meet strict fire codes and all of the fabric used for curtains, screen, panel coverings is IFR (inherently fire resistant) with NFPA 701 certificates. I am building 4x8 panels made with 4" OC703 wrapped in black IFR spandex (120" about $10/yd). I'm using 3/4 osb ripped to 4" for the outside frame along with edge and center retaining strips to hold it all in place. Corners and midpoints are blocked with 2x4s and used as anchor points.
notnyt and michael hurd like this.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-03-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 667
I hate to be the party pooper, but does anyone remember the nighclub fire when Great White used pyrotechnics that ignited foam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_St...nightclub_fire

Rockwool is a good choice, though I'd suggest against using wood or flammable coverings in constructing something for a commercial venue.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, implusivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd View Post
Rockwool is a good choice, though I'd suggest against using wood or flammable coverings in constructing something for a commercial venue.
The best bet is to check with your building code department and fire inspector. Keep in mind that your insurance will also have issue with non approved items. Other gotchas include most any led light off of ebay. Most of the cheap led lights listed on ebay are not UL listed. Your insurance and fire code will insist on UL listed fixtures. What appear to be the very same lights can be found UL listed at a higher price. Basically, somebody paid to have them tested and is assuming some bit of liability in exchange for a higher price.

If it were me, and building code and the fire inspector agreed. I'd use Rockwool covered in an IFR fabric with either a wood or metal frame. In my case the whole building is sheathed in OSB so I'm not any worse off using OSB for the frames. For commercial I really don't know if wood frames are allowed.
michael hurd likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-05-2019, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil393 View Post
Quote:
The best bet is to check with your building code department and fire inspector. Keep in mind that your insurance will also have issue with non approved items. Other gotchas include most any led light off of ebay. Most of the cheap led lights listed on ebay are not UL listed. Your insurance and fire code will insist on UL listed fixtures. What appear to be the very same lights can be found UL listed at a higher price. Basically, somebody paid to have them tested and is assuming some bit of liability in exchange for a higher price.

If it were me, and building code and the fire inspector agreed. I'd use Rockwool covered in an IFR fabric with either a wood or metal frame. In my case the whole building is sheathed in OSB so I'm not any worse off using OSB for the frames. For commercial I really don't know if wood frames are allowed.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll look into a metal frame. I think the denim insulation is fire rated.

post #15 of 16 Old 05-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
i used 10' metal studs from lowes, instead of wood, because i didn't have a table saw... about 3.5" wide, use tin snips and rivets to put it together, and a commercial hot glue gun($50 or so) to attach the fabric to the metal... spray glue to attach thin butcher type paper to the front of the rockwool, if you want to attenuate just the bass frequencies, and reflect the higher frequencies back into the room.

maybe not as rigid as wood, but it won't burn.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
I hate to be the party pooper, but does anyone remember the nighclub fire when Great White used pyrotechnics that ignited foam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_St...nightclub_fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bknYdprA9ug

That's crazy... and very scary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page