AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   New House setup dilemma. Ported Or sealed? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3066524-new-house-setup-dilemma-ported-sealed.html)

jfreeman420 05-08-2019 06:55 AM

New House setup dilemma. 2 x Ported Or 4 x sealed?

I know this has been discussed 1,000 times but I couldn't find anything to help with this particular scenario.
I am moving into a new house within the next month and am planning my new setup. I am limited on space and this is not a dedicated room
It's an area that is about 1150 cuft but it opens to another 600 cuft room to the left another larger room to the right and a kitchen behind separated by a built in bar so there is a lot of open space.
My current setup is 2- SI DS4 18's in 11cuft vented boxes tuned at 17.5 hz. I built these myself. I also have 2 ht18's in 4cuft sealed flat packs 2 x inuke nu6000dsp. My old house was setup completely different without as much open space.
I also have a pioneer sc-lx701 being used as a pre/pro. I have ordered all new onwall m80/vp180 and m3 along with m3 ceiling speakers from axiom audio and will have an emotiva xp9 powering those.
I will be replacing 2 HT 18's with 2 HST18 MKIII's and either keeping the DS4's behind the couch or adding 2 more HST18's

My dilemma is this. I can fit under my 75 inch 4k samsung either 2 full marty's with 2 HST18's or 4 4cuft sealed with 4 HST18's. Either way I may also be able to repurpose the 2 DS4's in stonehenge type boxes behind the couch or on either side giving me either 4 or 6 18's altogether. I will add a third inuke if i go with 6.

I think the array of 4 under the TV will look far better and there will be more of a wow factor with a 4 sub array than the 2 marty's but keep in mind I'm single so there is no WAF i'm just interested in the most bass I can get into this room. If I go with the 4 HST's sealed it will obviously be more expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth the money although I won't mind spending if it's worth it.
So that's pretty much the question. Do I go 4 sealed or 2 ported?
Thanks for your input.

jfreeman420 05-08-2019 07:11 AM

I also forgot to mention that the sealed enclosures will allow the TV to be mounted at a more reasonable height. They are only about 20" high. With the 11" center channel the bottom of the TV will be 31" or so. The full marty's on their side will be 25" putting the bottom of the TV 36" which may not be as comfortable for viewing.

jcmccorm 05-08-2019 07:20 AM

First-world problems :)

As far as ported vs sealed, you've got both so you know how they perform. I've not yet built a ported box but am considering it. I'm not sure if the phase-reversal at tuning would give me trouble trying to match them up with sealed subs used for near-field.

Anyway, I've got 2 4cuft 18's I'm using for nearfield. They cover the two center seats pretty well (placed right behind them) but the outside seats don't benefit as much. Would your seating benefit from 4 sealed subs instead of two?

I'm afraid I don't have the experience to offer advice on the front. I'm in a similar situation; 75" Sony with enough room underneath for two full Marty's. I hadn't though of the possibility of doing 4x sealed. I did think of either building larger sealed boxes for the 18's up front (a few db more SPL down low) or going with the full Marty's.

jfreeman420 05-08-2019 07:28 AM

First world problems indeed :)
My experience with the sealed subs isn't really valid because I have the HT18's in those currently. You really can't compare those to the HST18's.
My ported boxes are currently near field on either side of the couch. Not the ideal placement but it rocks. I was planning on putting the DS4's in the sealed boxes as a test but again 2 DS4's vs 4 vs HST's is a totally different setup.

Red Five 05-08-2019 07:43 AM

20 inches might be pushing it for a width. Can a box be 22 inches wide? I think a surface mounting to the baffle would work than. Two HSTs in ported boxes in that space will tear it up! I think you could get a good internal box volume going 48 on height, which if you put it on its side becomes width and how deep can you go? 48x22x26 would be getting close to 11 cuft internal then do a 17Hz ish tune. If you give me some dimension I can play around with boxes :)

jfreeman420 05-08-2019 07:51 AM

I was planning on using the flat packs from gsgad and the width is 25 inches when laid on their side will be 25 inches high. The sealed boxes can be as low as 20 inches.
I don't have the tools or desire to build another set from scratch.

Craig S King 05-08-2019 08:16 AM

While I definitely think 4 18’s in a row under your TV would look great, and definitely meet the “wow” factor, I don’t know if putting the HSTs in small sealed cabinets would be doing them justice. As we are aware, they are absolute monsters in large ported cabinets. My ears are still ringing from the get together and @Jk7.2 ‘s setup back in January.

That being said, I would probably go for the HSTs in full Marty’s and keep the ported DS4s nearfield. Perhaps you can keep the SI HTs and use them in small sealed cabinets in between the full Marty’s? Then you’ll still have 4 18’s up front, plus the 2 nearfield. The SI HTs should fit between the Marty’s and under your TV.

Or sell the HT18s to me.

plasma_fan 05-08-2019 08:51 AM

I vote sealed and keep the TV at a better height. While nothing impressive on this forum, 4 - 6 sealed 18" are still really excessive for 99.9% of the population, haha

johnson636 05-08-2019 11:00 AM

This sounds like a "what works best for your room" deal. You have to make that call. Space restrictions = sealed. No space restrictions = you can go big and ported...simple

Russell Burrows 05-08-2019 11:06 AM

What lf tactile transducers are you useing? I.E. 8 lfe buttkickers and 4 nx6000 dsp amplifiers will add wow factors when movie watching.

uniquepattern 05-08-2019 11:22 AM

Id say drop the HST's in some ported boxes...

I mean seriously...

Run everything else nearfield... You know the drill man!

jfreeman420 05-08-2019 11:27 AM

Can anyone model this in winisd for me? I did it but it doesn't look right. I think i'm missing something it's been a while since I used it.
It looks like I'll get more output from 4 sealed above 20hz.

Red Five 05-08-2019 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1557349688

Red 4.0 cuft sealed

Blue 11 cuft 17Hz tune 15Hz HPF. The xmax is so ridiculous you could probably push the HPF down more.

Above tuning they look pretty similar. More cones is more cones if you have 4 sealed :)

jfreeman420 05-08-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Five (Post 58018920)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1557349688

Red 4.0 cuft sealed

Blue 11 cuft 17Hz tune 15Hz HPF. The xmax is so ridiculous you could probably push the HPF down more.

Above tuning they look pretty similar. More cones is more cones if you have 4 sealed :)

Thank you for that. For some reason my model didn't even hit 100db.

EndersShadow 05-09-2019 05:20 AM

I agree with those above. Dollar for Dollar ported is a better price to performance if you can build a big box, and tune it low. Ported boxes utilize power better, meaning you need less of it, they can perform better than 2 of the same subs in sealed boxes, etc....... The trade off is that you normally need pretty dang large boxes, especially for the HST (due to its T/S Parameters).

From what I remember the goal of the HST drivers was to make a driver that would perform well in smaller boxes..... but with a CRAP-TON of power and some boost down low to take advantage of its large XMax. So the HST drivers can work in smaller sealed boxes, just keep in mind to really utilize the motor and xmax down low (which is what your paying more for over say a UM18) you will need a powerful amp and a device capable of adding a lot of boost below 30hz.

Speakerpower, Peavey and Clone amps come to mind as the better options for a sealed HST. A ported HST can be driven to fairly loud levels with more cost effective amps like iNukes, Crown XLS's, etc...

jfreeman420 05-09-2019 11:39 AM

I certainly appreciate all of the responses and I have come to a solution.
It seems as though I would not be doing the HST's justice in sealed boxes.
I'm going with 2 ported baltic birch from DIYsoundgroup for the HST's and 2 sealed I already have for the DS4's. These are only 29 inches high and will all fit under my screen with the center channel between will put the bottom of the screen at about 33 inches perfect height.
I'll have the wow factor of 4 subs in front and still have space for 2 more behind the couch.
I'm quite excited about this setup 6 x 18's all together.
Does anyone think the NU6000dsp won't have enough power to run the 2 HST's at 4ohms? I'm going to need another amp for subs 5 and 6 behind the couch so an upgrade for the HST's may be in order.
I will post more as the project gets underway.

EndersShadow 05-09-2019 12:12 PM

Honestly if it was me, I'd stick with the 4 you have. Build two big boxes for the HST's for up front that take up the space you were going to use for all 4 subs. That extra space will let you make a larger box, and tune it lower. The wow factor there will be how far the cones move when asked. It also lowers your power handling requirement to really get the SPL out of them.

Build two ported boxes for the DS4's for behind the couch. The wow factor there will be how much it makes the seats move (or build into a riser if your building one).

I think that would get you what you want and not require you to buy 2 more drivers.

jfreeman420 05-09-2019 12:56 PM

The birch enclosures are 8cuft each tuned to 16hz exactly the specs on SI's page. They will fit in the space just fine and Eric says they sound amazing. The two HST's is probably more than most people could need or want by themselves but I've always gone a bit overboard.
Plus if it isn't overkill or simply ridiculous what fun would that be?

Red Five 05-09-2019 03:38 PM

If you want to get everything out of the HSTs get a bigger amp :) Your output with the 6000 will still be impressive in that space. I do not see a wrong answer here, just a lots of bass!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Cichlid109 05-10-2019 03:32 AM

Just thought I would reply great subs!! I have the same only difference 2 HST's and 2 DS4's. Space for me is a concern so I went with sealed my HST's are in a 8cuft DO cabinet in one corner the DS4's are each in a 7cuft sealed in the other corner. If I had the space ported would be great but room is not big enough. The HST's love power I am using a clone and so far not one issue. Another factor for me going sealed I like being able to get into the single digit range granted not all movies have it but those that do pretty cool. Wish you success on the build.

johnson636 05-10-2019 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfreeman420 (Post 58023858)
The two HST's is probably more than most people could need or want by themselves

https://i1371.photobucket.com/albums...pskwzxoxzj.gif

Not most people around here:p