Subwoofer Parts for Assembling DIY - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris Maxey
  • 1 Post By valleyslim
  • 2 Post By mtg90
  • 3 Post By dTorC4
  • 1 Post By rlj5242

post #1 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Subwoofer Parts for Assembling DIY

I'm curious if there are good sites for buying subwoofer parts to assemble yourself. I'm talking about individual parts, e.g. spider, voice coil, etc. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Considering you'd need tooling, metrology, and specialized adhesives, you'd be investing in more than just parts.

Shipping costs would likely be *more* than for a complete driver, even if in the same box, because of the extra packing needed for all the smaller parts.

Do you know how to specify each part? Do you know how to inspect and measure each part, to be sure it's correct before you assemble?

When you buy a complete driver, you're paying for the engineering, tooling, experience, quality control, and warranty. It would be foolhardy to throw that all away on saving a few bucks for a DIY sub.

If you're serious about learning how things go together, I'd start with refoaming some drivers with rotten surrounds. Then buy a blown pro sub that has a reconing kit available. Or just start collecting old *junk* drivers, and see what parts you can repair/replace/recreate.

If there's going to be any point to the exercise, you're going to have to be able to measure and interpret the performance of your work.

You can get anything you want from China, the problem is consistent quality.

Sources/processing: stack of stuff that if it isn't vintage now, it will be soon!
Amps: stacks and stacks of old iron
Main speakers: big DIYSG
Surrounds: Bose graveyard
Subs: a bunch
post #3 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fill35U View Post
You can get anything you want from China, the problem is consistent quality
I'd imagine another problem would be the inflated cost of buying 1 item/low quantity. Would still be interested to see other responses here, though.

"Becoming educated is more than just acquiring knowledge. It involves the ability to see the world in ways never before conceived."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
This same question was asked in another forum months ago. The consensus was...No. Of course you can still fly to China.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fill35U View Post
Considering you'd need tooling, metrology, and specialized adhesives, you'd be investing in more than just parts.

Shipping costs would likely be *more* than for a complete driver, even if in the same box, because of the extra packing needed for all the smaller parts.

Do you know how to specify each part? Do you know how to inspect and measure each part, to be sure it's correct before you assemble?

When you buy a complete driver, you're paying for the engineering, tooling, experience, quality control, and warranty. It would be foolhardy to throw that all away on saving a few bucks for a DIY sub.

If you're serious about learning how things go together, I'd start with refoaming some drivers with rotten surrounds. Then buy a blown pro sub that has a reconing kit available. Or just start collecting old *junk* drivers, and see what parts you can repair/replace/recreate.

If there's going to be any point to the exercise, you're going to have to be able to measure and interpret the performance of your work.

You can get anything you want from China, the problem is consistent quality.
"Specialized Adhesives" is my middle name.

Good call on the re-coning route.
fill35U likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggers View Post
This same question was asked in another forum months ago. The consensus was...No. Of course you can still fly to China.
I forgot about the most convenient option of flying to China.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Maxey View Post
I'm curious if there are good sites for buying subwoofer parts to assemble yourself. I'm talking about individual parts, e.g. spider, voice coil, etc. Thanks in advance!
https://thelordofbass.com I have a buddy who I had build me 2 15s and 2 6.5 subs from this website. I love them. If I remember correctly my buddy said lordofbass is owned by ultra audio, who my buddy is really good friends with of the owner. Also he post me updates of lordofbass which I'll try to screen shot the post for ya but they are supposed to be selling full kits to assemble yourself or just piece them out yourself if you cant wait. These are car subs but my buddy pieced out each part to make it better for my home theater. Just got my 6.5 subs for my computer set up so havent been able to listen to them yet. Subs on bed are the 15s and the other is a 6.5. Last pic is the latest sub he is working on, double magnet 15 sub 1600 watt, after he finishes the double magnet sub he will be producing 24 inch subs but all parts are from lord of bass minus the 24 in, I'm not sure where he is getting those, but hope this helps answer your question
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_282594769125440_1557340368261.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	2564204   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1556036851971_1557340419021.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	2564206   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1555178567047_1557340446283.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	2564208   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1555178561125_1557340457418.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2564210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190331-124701_Messenger_1557340761587.jpg
Size:	928.6 KB
ID:	2564214  

Chris Maxey likes this.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-08-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 595 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
There are a few places where you can buy individual parts for drivers, mostly cater to the car audio crowd:
https://thelordofbass.com/
https://fixmyspeaker.com/
https://www.springfieldspeakerrepair.com/
https://pierceaud.io/
fill35U and Chris Maxey like this.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-09-2019, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Robot Underground located in Mesa, AZ (just outside of Phoenix) is about to move to a new location. He has a warehouse FULL of sub parts that he is trying to reduce inventory of before the move. He runs a non-profit building subwoofers. Look up the business (Robot Underground) or the owner (Patrick Chandler) on Facebook and see what he has available.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-09-2019, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dTorC4 View Post
Robot Underground located in Mesa, AZ (just outside of Phoenix) is about to move to a new location. He has a warehouse FULL of sub parts that he is trying to reduce inventory of before the move. He runs a non-profit building subwoofers. Look up the business (Robot Underground) or the owner (Patrick Chandler) on Facebook and see what he has available.
Was just going to post this. Check him out.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-09-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I've also hit up the Sundown yard sale. Ebay used to be a great source as well. But we will never see Lightning Audio neo motors going for $25 each. The last time I saw the Ebay price for one, I almost got rid of the 4 in my inventory.

I have build subs from scratch and reconed/refoamed. I use the provided rubberized CA glue for the spider to voice coil connection but that's it. I use E6000 for spider to landing and Ailene's for surround to frame gluing.

My custom subs:
15" Frankensub - A 90 pound Konaki motor with a 15" Ti frame and PSI soft parts. David from PSI built it to my specs and I picked it up at his shop.
12" car subs - A pair of Diamond Audio motors and baskets with custom recones from PSI. This is where I used my own gluing. One is in my wife's car and one is in my niece's car. Both with 1,000w amps. My wife abuses it worse than my niece and it is still holding up without issue.
18" IB subs - TC9 motors (with Elemental Design A12-22 stickers on them) and Fi Car Audio recone kits. I've tested them in the manifolds but never got around to installing them.
12" Frankensub - TC9 motor, 12" Ti frame and the rest of the parts from Robot Underground. This was my first sub built from parts.

12" Frankensub - This was an odd one. I had picked up some TC-2000 15" top assemblies that had the coil print into the aluminum cone. I removed the cone from the coil carefully. I then cut out the spider/coil from the frame as one piece. I searched for about a year and found a one-off 3 spoke basket with the correct spider height for sale at Car Audio Classifieds dot org. I used the TC-7 motor from the previous Ti frame as the motor and a surplus 12" cone from Sundown. The motor had a ton of copper on the pole piece and it ran distortion free. It was awesome. I traded it for an 18" TC-3000 (custom from PSI).

I still have some to build:
4 15" drivers with Lightning Audio/TC-2000/TC-3000 frames, Robot Underground spiders and spacers, Lightning Audio neo motors, Sundown huge roll cones
4 12" drivers with Elemental Designs AV 13.2 frames, Sundown huge roll cones, Robot Underground spiders and spacers, TC Sounds LMS coils and TC9 motors.

I build these for fun and to learn, not to save money.
JCJetta likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page