Considering building tower speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Considering building tower speakers

For reference I went from Bose 601 series IV towers to Polk A9 towers....

I have been shopping around and really like the JBL 590 towers(top choice)and Emotiva's T2 (esp. The C2 center!) I also listened to some of Def Tech's towers and loved the built in subs, however the clarity was not up to par imho.... and for higher end I love alot of GoldenEar's towers because they feature feature the built in subs & have ribbon tweeters, but alas, out of my price range....

So I want to know what (IF ANY) DIY tower speaker would blow the above choices away(cept the G.E.'s of course)!?For $1,300 or less

Looking for clarity and dynamics for movies/gaming/music

I have a Denon AVR-X3400h

Again, my top choice was JBL 590 but not sure what to look for on kits and their stats to ensure better numbers than the other factory bought choices.....thanks everyone! Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It depends, do you currently, or plan on, running a subwoofer with the towers?

The DIYSoundGroup kits are excellently priced, and most of the people that have them will tell you they out punch speakers orders of magnitude more expensive.

The only caveat being they really need a subwoofer or 4 or 8 (depending on the level of your bass mania) to reach to the low end for movies. Though if your top choice is the JBL 590, it's frequency response is only to 35Hz, so you'd really need a sub with those as well.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I say, Its whats in your budget. I built 5 towers that have a in room F3 of 20hz. and it only cost me $1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-09-2019, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 106
This is hilariously easy with the Titans.

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...615lx-kit.html

Buy the flatpack, crossover board, speaker wire, two pair of binding posts, and some paint.

You'll have a top notch 2 channel setup that'll play all but dubstep or pipe organ for right around 1300. The JBL's don't stand a chance.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Just for reference, as it has been awhile since I have looked at the Goldenear models, they claim their flagship Triton One.R has a frequency response down to 13Hz, lol.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...nts&Itemid=153

Look at it the frequency response - it drops hard at 40Hz. There is no possible way those towers produce ANY useable volume at <20Hz. They also claim 92dB efficiency, but measured at less than 90dB. While I have no doubt they sound quite good, as I have heard several other models from them and they do sound nice, it always makes me cringe when companies out and out lie on their specification sheets.

One thing you can guarantee, the DIYSG kits aren't gonna lie to you about what they are or are not.

Edit: I suppose the Triton Reference would be the flagship, which they claim is good to 12Hz, lmao.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...nts&Itemid=153

Last edited by drewp29; 05-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page