2Likes
  • 2 Post By brian6751

post #1 of 13 Old 05-09-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question HT vs HTM series

I've read here that there's only a slight difference between the HT and HTM series and that you would really have to listen to them side by side to hear it. Has anyone actually done this and can elaborate on the actual differences?

As specs go, it looks like the HTM series tends to dig a little deeper and has a slightly lower xo - along with whatever differences the drivers are making. xo bill on the HTM10/12 is also more, but I can't tell for certain why.

I'm considering both but am rather curious where the extra $100 per speaker actually shows up in practice. I'm confident that either design would be good...I mean, it's not like I'm looking for an excuse to spend more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-09-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 711
post #3 of 13 Old 05-09-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Despite what the specs may say it's been said that the HT actually has slightly more bass than the HTM. Everything I've read suggests that the overall difference in performance between the HT and HTM is pretty small, which is great news for anyone on a tight budget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-09-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Oh @JCJetta !

There was a comparison of the HT-8 vs HTM-8 not so long ago:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...l#post57899582
Great, thanks for the link - I'll check that thread out as well!
post #5 of 13 Old 05-09-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 3578 Post(s)
Liked: 2767
Correction: I should have said the HT has more midbass than the HTM. Here's the direct quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Some people might prefer the HT's because they have a bit more midbass than the HTM's. So possibly better for that persons music if they like more midbass. But you would still need subwoofers with either model.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-10-2019, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 67
HT vs HTM series

Weight-

HTMs use a lighter weight Neo Woofer, HT has the heavier Ferrite (although the overall weight in specs for ht and htm are same?) The Neos also have some better specs other than extension. Power handling (Pe) being one. Also the Denovo CDs are a better CD, however at the end of the day, both are great designs and produce great results. It’s splitting hairs. If you need more output, the HTM will not run out of gas as early and give a bit more output (2 or so db for HT10 to HTM10)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by FOHTech; 05-10-2019 at 01:33 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-10-2019, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 901
XO components vary in cost quite a bit. Resistors and small caps are really cheap, but inductors and big caps can get expensive. The HTs appear to use cheaper iron core inductors and medium sized caps, where the HTMs have large air core inductors and pretty big caps. Add that up over a 10-15 part XO and you can easily spend an extra $25-$50 per kit.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-10-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOHTech View Post
Weight-

HTMs use a lighter weight Neo Woofer, HT has the heavier Ferrite (although the overall weight in specs for ht and htm are same?) The Neos also have some better specs other than extension. Power handling (Pe) being one. Also the Denovo CDs are a better CD, however at the end of the day, both are great designs and produce great results. It’s splitting hairs. If you need more output, the HTM will not run out of gas as early and give a bit more output (2 or so db for HT10 to HTM10)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Interesting that the weight ends up the same when using the neo woofer. I'll only really be running these on an AVR at 90W per channel - so the different between 300W and 500W power handling is probably moot?
post #9 of 13 Old 05-10-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
XO components vary in cost quite a bit. Resistors and small caps are really cheap, but inductors and big caps can get expensive. The HTs appear to use cheaper iron core inductors and medium sized caps, where the HTMs have large air core inductors and pretty big caps. Add that up over a 10-15 part XO and you can easily spend an extra $25-$50 per kit.
What's the advantage of spending the extra money in the xo? Is one just better at handling more power? I see that the HTM are rated 200W above HT for max power handling.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-10-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOHTech View Post
Weight-

HTMs use a lighter weight Neo Woofer, HT has the heavier Ferrite (although the overall weight in specs for ht and htm are same?)

The HT-8 and HTM-8 are the same weight. HTM-8 uses a slightly lighter woofer but heavier compression driver.

The HT-10 and HTM-10 are the same weight also. HTM-10 uses a heavier compression driver and more inductors. I'm sure the cast aluminum woofer frame is heavier than the stamped frame on the HT. The HTM-10 has the heavier 1" thick baffle versus the .75" on the HT. So that's why the weight ends up being pretty much identical.

The HT-12 and HTM-12.....not exactly sure yet because I haven't packaged any HT-12's up yet. I would imagine their weights will be similar as well.

One thing I do know is that I wish the two weren't named so similar. That was a mistake that I should consider changing soon.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bevier View Post
What's the advantage of spending the extra money in the xo? Is one just better at handling more power? I see that the HTM are rated 200W above HT for max power handling.
Thicker gauge wire in the coils adds power handling but I doubt that’s that case here. More likely driver limits at play.

Generally the bigger value components and more components are used for steeper slopes which can help in a number of ways. Also more components can be used to flatten out the response more than just the basic high pass and low pass filters. 6 parts might make a useable xo but 15 could be a lot flatter.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-10-2019, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Thicker gauge wire in the coils adds power handling but I doubt that’s that case here. More likely driver limits at play.

Generally the bigger value components and more components are used for steeper slopes which can help in a number of ways. Also more components can be used to flatten out the response more than just the basic high pass and low pass filters. 6 parts might make a useable xo but 15 could be a lot flatter.
Ah, that makes sense. I wonder if Matt (as the designer of both) has elaborated on the differences. I'd be curious if the xo just didn't need the extra / more expensive parts with the driver selection or if it was an effort to reduce cost and carries an (albeit subtle) performance impact. I'm not sure I can tell the difference between a good xo and a great one anyway, but always curious to learn more!
post #13 of 13 Old 05-10-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 1676
HT vs HTM series

Having heard both, IMO, the differences of how they sound are very minor.

i would say the HTM has a slightly warmer midrange and a bit smoother top end. Like I said, very small differences. It’s not obvious.
I didn’t notice any difference in the bass but they aren’t designed to put out a lot of bass.

This is with music. With movies I bet it’s hard to tell them apart.
Mike Butny and smcmillan2 like this.

--------------------------------------------------
FOR SALE:
Lots of stuff. Check the Audio Gear Classifieds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page