Today was a good day for progress. I got impatient as far as waiting for my drivers to arrive because they were due Wednesday. As of right now Fedex hasn't updated tracking and Newegg said to let them know if I still don't have it by Monday. I went ahead and spent the $65/piece for 2 drivers from Best Buy and hope they will come down within 30 days for me to price match. I've got no self control.
After getting these drivers home, I verified they fit in all the cutouts i previously made. I screwed the secondary sheets of plywood to the first making sure to use more than enough screws... i think i went a little overboard here. I flipped the platform over and added some leg supports to keep my couch from sliding around.
At this point I was trying to determine how I would hook the drivers up to my speakon cable. I was going to make a bracket for the back of the platform, but didn't want a trip hazard if it held the cable up too high. I decided to put the "speakon bracket" in the middle of the platform that would be hidden under the couch. It isn't the prettiest, but works great. I even added a little guide for the cable to keep it where I want it. After that, I mounted the two drivers and then added the hudson hifi isolaters. I am starting with 4 isolaters, but may need to add 2 in the middle for support. Not sure yet. Also, if you look close enough, you may be able to see that the screws i used for my drivers are poking through the top of the platform. I wasn't sure what to do here, so I filed them as best I could and didn't think much else of it. I should probably replace them with shorter screws.
The only thing left was to wire the 2 drivers. I wired in series for an 8ohm load to my 6000dsp. I need to figure out where to put the gain on the inuke. Sounds like most people settle in between 1 and 3 o'clock. I fired up the system for a really quick and quiet test run and I'm thinking this is going to be pretty awesome. I'm planning on doing some more listening/tinkering tomorrow to get a better feel. My wife wasn't in the mood for me to crank the music (or a movie), so I listened to pandora at a pretty modest volume. I could already feel the kick drum and the bass guitar which is sweet. I believe I chose a 40hz LPF for now and will lower that if it is obnoxious like some people say. I want to feel it first before I cut off those frequencies!
The build was honestly pretty easy and a ton of fun! I went ahead and downloaded all the BEQ files to start taking advantage of corrections for movies and also get more content for the BOSS to utilize. I'm also doing some reading on the VibSensor thread and will do some measurements for that as well to see where I am at.
Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700