A little help please....? Another Sub build or Purchase? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By clownaphobia
  • 1 Post By Red Five

post #1 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A little help please....? Another Sub build or Purchase?

Hey guys,
A few years ago I built my first set of subwoofers.
With the help of some awesome members here, @LTD02 , @Ricci ,
I did a dual alpine type R 12” build. I run them off of an EP2500. And they seem to do pretty well. I actually have only had them up and running for a few months..due to some life changes. I have not measured them since I recently moved from my previous home where I had a dedicated theater room, to a very open floor plan in my new house. These are my first sealed subs, as before I always had ported. They definitely aren’t able to pressurize the room like my previous setup. The new House has a very open floor plan. With the main living room around 24x20, open to the kitchen which is 24x17. The subs sounds great, but I think struggle to FILL the space with as much bass as I prefer.
I find myself constantly either looking at doing another build or buying. Usually a dual Dayton Um-15 flat pack build since I have an amp and ability to finish them the way I would like or also find myself looking quite a bit at the SVS Sb-3000’s and JL F112’s (since these come in piano black and would match my existing subs and towers). If I put in the time/and or money by doing duals of any (as I am a big believer in duals)...would there be a justifiable output difference? My gut tells me to just go ahead and do a couple Um-18’s and then I’d know I have plenty of output. Sorry if it’s a dumb question, I know sound and something being “worthwhile” are very subjective terms. I put this question on AH also, just wanted to reach out to other members here for opinions. Thank you in advance! Could also add two more 12” Type R’s And run quads if that’s a better option..although the last two are limited as to where I could place them
LTD02 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Do you have space constraints for going with ported boxes? That is a large volume for a sealed application to fill if getting tactile sensations is a goal. If you have not been over here for awhile www.gsgad.com has flatpacks available. LTD02 is one of the founding partners over there. They are offering some finished passive sub solutions and it sounds like they will continue to expand those offerings. This would definitely cut back on the amount of work involved
LTD02 likes this.

Stormbreaker a B&C 21DS115 Subwoofer Solution | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Firstly, asking about buying a "SVS Sb-3000’s and JL F112’s" in a diy subforum is fruitless. Something tells me you know the consensus will be 2-4 UM18, so what are you waiting for

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
Do you have space constraints for going with ported boxes? That is a large volume for a sealed application to fill if getting tactile sensations is a goal. If you have not been over here for awhile www.gsgad.com has flatpacks available. LTD02 is one of the founding partners over there. They are offering some finished passive sub solutions and it sounds like they will continue to expand those offerings. This would definitely cut back on the amount of work involved [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I could do a couple ported boxes ...but hate the idea of abandoning the pre existing subs. Since they are sealed, I considered adding more sealed. Thank you for that..I was gone for quite awhile and will check out the site!
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
Firstly, asking about buying a "SVS Sb-3000’s and JL F112’s" in a diy subforum is fruitless. Something tells me you know the consensus will be 2-4 UM18, so what are you waiting for
😂😂 this is true
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 821 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2909 Post(s)
Liked: 3590
looking for mostly rumble and low end effects for movies or war volume output for music?

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page