Great Heil thoughts and guidance please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Great Heil thoughts and guidance please

I've always loved the great Heil because it's the only driver I've heard that leaves me with the illusion that cymbals are actually in the room. Driven by that, I'm considering a three way design using the great heil. I'm unable to find tried and true designs or consensus that it would be wise to attempt especially in regards to the crossovers. Does anyone know of any acknowledged and available designs using the Heil?

So I'm looking for opinions and input here. Are there other "extremely brilliant" drivers that can come close to the cymbal realism from the Heil? If so, that seems like it might be the
route to a more predictable and successful build. Emphasis on: an acknowledged plan/design that really makes the dynamics of drums and cymbals come alive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 342
There are a couple of Heil builds on DIYAudio forums. Even though I own the large Heil's I'll admit that I don't think they are that special. They can be crossed lower, they have excellent sensitivity and if properly placed in the room can give great characteristics. If placed on top of a good woofer these offer very good performance, especially for their new price.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I understand and agree, but not quite what I was asking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
got my curiosity up
after viewing the freq. range for drums and cymbals,
seems like it should be easy to do given how limited it is

How many different rooms have you heard these Heils in ?
and
They sounded fantastically the same every time?
and
at the same SPL every time?
and
You have some charts with before and after REQ, it shows where the brilliance comes in. .
and
Can't 'brilliance' be a matter of boosted EQ, the room notwithstanding?
and
Other extremely Brilliant drivers like what you're asking for

perhaps others here can speak to their knowledge of such performing equipment

still feels like something is missing . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	freqrange.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	2569936  

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2019, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonfromCB View Post
I've always loved the great Heil because it's the only driver I've heard that leaves me with the illusion that cymbals are actually in the room. Driven by that, I'm considering a three way design using the great heil. I'm unable to find tried and true designs or consensus that it would be wise to attempt especially in regards to the crossovers. Does anyone know of any acknowledged and available designs using the Heil?

So I'm looking for opinions and input here. Are there other "extremely brilliant" drivers that can come close to the cymbal realism from the Heil? If so, that seems like it might be the

route to a more predictable and successful build. Emphasis on: an acknowledged plan/design that really makes the dynamics of drums and cymbals come alive would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Check out the Beyma TPL150. Check out my builds in my sig. I've got 7 of them in my room.

I've also got in depth hands on time with a few different ESS speakers. My father and grandfather both have a set, they are great, but the TPL definitely surpasses them. I have a pair of heils under the house gathering dust

Same great transient response. But can handle significantly more power and SPL. Clearest tweeter I've heard.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2019, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Asarose247, Javs, Thanks for the replies. I had a pair of ESS AMT 1Bs purchased in the late 70s. I was in the military and moved them quite a bit. I have a high degree of confidence that I've probably set them up in more types, sizes, and shapes of rooms than perhaps anyone. Having access to the military "audio clubs" in the 80s, I had quite a few very good speakers during that time ...JBLs, Infiniti's, Dahlquist's, ARs,,and others so I was able to A/B them with the best in their day and regardless of all their faults and weaknesses they "just worked" for me. To answer your question, I always found the Ess/Heil as easy or easier to adjust to the room than many other speakers with simple placement and tow-in and controlling how live or dampened the room. I'm sure it's both the speed and bi-directional pattern and reflections of the Heil AND the reflections/delay from the rear radiator that make the magic in my brain...increasingly over time I've grown fonder of OB and bi-directional sources because they most realistically reproduce how sound radiates from drums and cymbals as compared to any point source speaker reproducing even the best recordings. I chalk it up to my preference for what musicians hear from many instruments and musicians around them which is much less point source sound....as compared to what comes out of eq'd monitors or recorded, processed and played back via point source.

Javs, Can you recommend any TPL150 three way designs I can chase down and listen too? I've also thought about using a second wide dispersion back firing/directively adjustable tweeter that allows me to adjust level and direction of reflected high end. Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts and input. Happy Memorial Day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page