B&C 21ds115 Horn recommendation - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 05-24-2019, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zallou3 View Post
was checking the submaximus thread and john said it's doable with 4 sheets of wood, or is it not?
It can be done with 4 sheets. I always ended up going into 5 with how I did my bracing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
The Devastator was a horn John designed after I asked a few questions on a similar design for a PA460. It is a little larger than a full Marty which offered flexibility in most spaces. Tune is 18.8Hz on that sub. www.gsgad.com should have the flat pack out soon for it if reduced work is of interest.

The LFE added volume on the rear chamber just to push up the left corner. Tune is 19.1Hz calculated. The external volume is 29.75ft3, so less than a big horn and two can usually fit side by side under an AT screen. Both have good useable bandwidth
Looks like John has been busy. Good to see these MAUL/Skhorn type BP6H's starting to get more popular.

30 cubic feet? That is a HUGE cab for one driver. Pretty much twice the size of the Skram. At that type of size it may make more sense to look into a FLH instead or consider using multiple drivers. This type of cab isn't necessarily the best tool for scaled up single driver cabs. IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
Click on Le on the input window until it is red for a 21DS115. It is a little bit more accurate. Check the first post of the Devastator thread, John had the inputs of the sub very locked in. Also, he has overlays of measurements vs his sim.
For anybody modeling these subs with any of the drivers that have been tested on DB I recommend using the semi inductance specs listed with the drivers rather than the lossy Le function. Click on the LE box in HR and it'll pop up a box for entry of the 4 parameters. Enter them and the Le label will turn green. The specs are pulled from one particular driver but can be used generically with the factory specs. It'll be a LOT closer to true than the lossy Le function. If using a different impedance driver you can scale the semi inductance specs for the different impedance. It'll be ballpark but still way better than using no Le or the lossy Le function. There's only a handful of what's available on the market that's been measured but most of the popular pro 21's are on there. Anyway using this will be more accurate and will also tend to look a lot better than the lossy Le function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zallou3 View Post
greatly helpful thank you, i am pretty interested in submaximus and the simulations in hornresp and outperforming other subs, using one nearfield should be pretty amazing
If going as huge as some of the cabs being mentioned here a FLH makes sense for getting the most from a single driver. IMO
Gorilla Killa and K9woofer like this.
post #33 of 36 Old 05-24-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
a 80" tall sub CAN be stood up in an 8' room

and go thru a 30" door

a beefy refrigerator dolly with a good strap

some trustworthy ramps and a few extra strong backs

and a re-enforced / reconfigured HF moving dolly for it to be placed upon
no exceptions

at an easy 300+ lbs
you need to plan ahead to show it just who is the Boss . . .

which will only last until you fire it up

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...016-redux.html

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 05-24-2019, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
a 80" tall sub CAN be stood up in an 8' room

and go thru a 30" door

a beefy refrigerator dolly with a good strap

some trustworthy ramps and a few extra strong backs

and a re-enforced / reconfigured HF moving dolly for it to be placed upon
no exceptions

at an easy 300+ lbs
you need to plan ahead to show it just who is the Boss . . .

which will only last until you fire it up

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...016-redux.html
well not going to fit in my room, had to kick the closet outside of the room so there's barely space for an adult to squeeze himself into my mancave/bedroom
actually the latest FLH i built for this room was 2.3x0.9x0.9 m, using full 8 sheets of 12 mm mdf, took 7 men to carry this 250 KG beast through my window..
How do you like your submaximus vs the lowarhorn??
post #35 of 36 Old 05-24-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Looks like John has been busy. Good to see these MAUL/Skhorn type BP6H's starting to get more popular.

30 cubic feet? That is a HUGE cab for one driver. Pretty much twice the size of the Skram. At that type of size it may make more sense to look into a FLH instead or consider using multiple drivers. This type of cab isn't necessarily the best tool for scaled up single driver cabs. IMO.

For anybody modeling these subs with any of the drivers that have been tested on DB I recommend using the semi inductance specs listed with the drivers rather than the lossy Le function. Click on the LE box in HR and it'll pop up a box for entry of the 4 parameters. Enter them and the Le label will turn green. The specs are pulled from one particular driver but can be used generically with the factory specs. It'll be a LOT closer to true than the lossy Le function. If using a different impedance driver you can scale the semi inductance specs for the different impedance. It'll be ballpark but still way better than using no Le or the lossy Le function. There's only a handful of what's available on the market that's been measured but most of the popular pro 21's are on there. Anyway using this will be more accurate and will also tend to look a lot better than the lossy Le function.

If going as huge as some of the cabs being mentioned here a FLH makes sense for getting the most from a single driver. IMO
Ricci thank you for chiming in! So great from you to share your expertise with us
i already built 6 FLH in my 2000 cubic foot room, they use 12 inch drivers and the enclosure in designed by Mark Kravchenko, i believe you know Mark and the enclosure i'm talking about?
i've been trying to find measurements for Skram but apparently you didn't yet measure it, the small size is tempting and i figure it's faster to build and more economical, plus i can use it 0.5 meters in front of the listening position in my room which should be pretty nice.
how low can i expect it to go? i ve read that the othorn is great from 25hz and upwards,not so much below 25, ghorn from 16 to 60.
what about the skram? how does it compare to Ghorn?
post #36 of 36 Old 05-26-2019, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Skram Extension Depends on Vent Tuning:
All vents open = 29.5Hz / 3 vents open = 25.5Hz / 2 vents open = 20.5Hz / 1 vent open = 14.5H

More info here....

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/topic/7...bwoofer-files/

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page