Suggestions on grinding noise from Dayton HO390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-28-2019, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Suggestions on grinding noise from Dayton HO390

So I just finished my nearfield sub build using a Dayton HO390. Installed the woofer today and am temporarily using an old Buttkicker 1000 amp to test it out. I will order another amp soon. Anyway as soon as I connected the amp to the woofer I get a grinding noise from the woofer. The woofer is brand new. Comes and goes and I haven’t the slightest idea what it could be. Maybe coil or possibly the amp. Any ideas appreciated. The sub sounds awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2BA293FD-2B97-496F-A43F-528E8BF5E921.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	2572826   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA808C03-5197-4A54-8209-63AEEFAB3F9A.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	2572854  

Last edited by keeper; 05-28-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-28-2019, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 197
When you push on the cone (try to apply pressure as evenly as you can) does it make the noise then? Can you feel any roughness in the cone movement?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-28-2019, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
When you push on the cone (try to apply pressure as evenly as you can) does it make the noise then? Can you feel any roughness in the cone movement?
Thanks for the reply. No not really. Feels normal. It comes and goes. I haven’t the slightest idea what it is but sounds metallic. Could be the old buttkicker amp causing the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-28-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Thanks for the reply. No not really. Feels normal. It comes and goes. I haven’t the slightest idea what it is but sounds metallic. Could be the old buttkicker amp causing the issue?
Only if something is wrong with it I've never tried it myself, but have read that it should be fine.

You can try taking the driver out of the cabinet and play the content that makes the noise. If something is going on with the voice coil, it'll be easier to hear and feel with the driver out. Might try to listen for leaks, but they normally don't make "metallic" sounds. Might check to see if the wiring on the inside of the cab is rattling. Could also take a look at the terminals and make sure they're not broken.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-29-2019, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
Only if something is wrong with it I've never tried it myself, but have read that it should be fine.

You can try taking the driver out of the cabinet and play the content that makes the noise. If something is going on with the voice coil, it'll be easier to hear and feel with the driver out. Might try to listen for leaks, but they normally don't make "metallic" sounds. Might check to see if the wiring on the inside of the cab is rattling. Could also take a look at the terminals and make sure they're not broken.
Will do and thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page