Samson SX3200 Amplifier Question? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-30-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Samson SX3200 Amplifier Question?

Hi All:
There are a few threads regarding the Samson SX3200 Pro-Amp; however, they are really old threads and I think it would be better to ask my question in a new thread, in state of bringing back the long dead threads. Anyway, I just purchased two like new Samson SX3200 Pro-Amp, link below, from a family friend and so I know for sure that the amps are very new with light usage.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/pro...series/sx3200/

I'm intent to use one of the amp to run in stereo mode two InRoom Triad Gold subwoofers, a 15" 4ohm passive sub, which is currently driven by a Crown CE 4000 amp. The Samson is rating at 1100W/ch in 4ohm, so it should has more than enough power to drive these subs. My preamp is the Marantz AV7702 Mkii and connected to the Samson via XLR cables for the Marantz Subwoofer 1&2 out. The Marantz XLR output is rated at 2.4V, so it should have more than enough voltage to drive the Samson which has the input sensitive of 1.4V. After using the Marantz Audysee 32XT to EQ the subs, the gain knobs on the Samson is set at near its half way point. My questions are below:

1) With the gain set at around 1/2 way, and even when the volume is near the Ref. level on the Marantz and using some heavy bass materials, the Samson Signal LED lights (not the Peak lights) are nearly never lit up, I can only see a very few times they did light up. The Peak lights are never lit up. The subwoofers are working and produce sound, so I know the amp is working, but don't know why the signal lights won't light up. The manual says it should light up whenever there is an output to the speakers. Anyway, is this normal for the Samson amplifier? The signal lights on my current Crown CE4000 is always lit up with every bass notes, even at a much lower volume.

2) This is more of a sound quality observation than a question, the bass from the Samson amp is, for lack of a better word, incoherent. That is all the bass notes seem to stuck together or lingering together and not separated out in a well define space, compares to the Crown CE4000. I tested this by turn off the main front speakers and let only the subwoofers playing. With the Crown, I can hear (feel) the individual note hitting my chest, with the Samson, all the notes are just on top of each other into a long and loud mess. Anyway, that is just my observation, there is nothing to adjust on the Samson amp, so I think that is just it. The Samson does sound really good, when not using as a sub amp, driving my front speakers. But again, the signal LED lights won't light up here as well! it's really a shame as the Samson amp does built like a tank with a huge toroid.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I have 2 SX2400's powering my mains and like you have noticed my amps do the same only when really pushing them very hard as in +2 to +3.5 on my Denon rcvr will I get the lights to come on most of the time they flicker not a steady on. Cannot comment on the sub question as I have different amps for my subs. Just my opinion even though they are rated less then the nu3000's to me its a much better sounding amp.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
post #3 of 3 Old 05-30-2019, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid109 View Post
I have 2 SX2400's powering my mains and like you have noticed my amps do the same only when really pushing them very hard as in +2 to +3.5 on my Denon rcvr will I get the lights to come on most of the time they flicker not a steady on. Cannot comment on the sub question as I have different amps for my subs. Just my opinion even though they are rated less then the nu3000's to me its a much better sounding amp.
Thanks for let me know! don't get me wrong, the Samson sounds really good when power my fronts, but not with the sub. I need to play with it a bit more to find out why...
BT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page