Looking for some help designing a ported 1299 center - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnson636

post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Looking for some help designing a ported 1299 center

Hi guys. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me design a ported 1299 center. My current set-up is 1099 for LCR and HTM's for surrounds, with 4x mini marty's for subs. The front space looks like this:

I'm thinking I would use the standard baffle that comes with the 1299 and add a few inches of width on either side to accommodate whatever port size is appropriate, as illustrated in the super high-tech computer modeling below:

The room is 100% HT and always used with subs (center is currently crossed at 80). The room is 20 x 21 x 12 and open in the back and MLP is around 13 ft from front wall. My specific questions are:

1. What box size should I be using? I'm guessing height will be 14.75, width will depend on port size, and depth will be whatever is need to be achieve necessary box volume?

2. Given whatever box volume is recommended, what port size should I be using (I have no tuning frequency in mind and would appreciate your guys direction on that as well, particularly when it'll never be used without some very capable subs)? I see port tubes come in every conceivable internal diameter and length.

3. Finally, will I need to alter the crossover to accommodate the move from a sealed to a ported design?

Thanks for tolerating my questions, and thank you very much to anyone who could offer some guidance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Have you reached out to Erich H? I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. If you already have 1099's for LCR, what are your intentions for a 1299 center?

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #3 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
Hi guys. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me design a ported 1299 center. My current set-up is 1099 for LCR and HTM's for surrounds, with 4x mini marty's for subs. The front space looks like this:

I'm thinking I would use the standard baffle that comes with the 1299 and add a few inches of width on either side to accommodate whatever port size is appropriate, as illustrated in the super high-tech computer modeling below:

The room is 100% HT and always used with subs (center is currently crossed at 80). The room is 20 x 21 x 12 and open in the back and MLP is around 13 ft from front wall. My specific questions are:

1. What box size should I be using? I'm guessing height will be 14.75, width will depend on port size, and depth will be whatever is need to be achieve necessary box volume?

2. Given whatever box volume is recommended, what port size should I be using (I have no tuning frequency in mind and would appreciate your guys direction on that as well, particularly when it'll never be used without some very capable subs)? I see port tubes come in every conceivable internal diameter and length.

3. Finally, will I need to alter the crossover to accommodate the move from a sealed to a ported design?

Thanks for tolerating my questions, and thank you very much to anyone who could offer some guidance!

Why the 1299 center? Why do you want it ported? It’s a center channel. You’ve got plenty of subs. So, what exactly are you trying to accomplish.

Are you after more accurate vocals? Deeper male voices? I just don’t understand why you’re trying to incorporate a 1299 center with 1099s. I know it’s not an answer. Lol.

To design a center that’s ported you’ll need WinISD. I suggest you download it and start playing around with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Yeah, the "why" questions are fair. Reasons follow:

1. I worked hard on sub position and PEQ and am very happy with where I'm at from 15Hz to 90Hz. So, I'm on to tackling the next 20,000Hz and starting with the first few 100. I have lots of room in the center and can accommodate whatever monster I can build but, based on space, need it to be horizontal. I read tuxedocivic talking about whether the 1299 was a worthy upgrade. He wrote:

"Yes, the 1299 is a worthwhile upgrade in SQ if you can tolerate the size and cost. If it wasn't, the project would have been scrapped or reworked. The biggest difference IMO is the bass. Particularly the 80-200hz bass. It's more pronounced and present. Very solid and clear bass. The rest of the bandwidth is fairly similar sounding IMO."

I also like the sound of a seos 12 vs 10 and 6.5" mids vs 5".

2. I built 11 speakers and subs and had a blast doing it. I miss having something to work on. A new project sound fun - if I could just figure out the necessary numbers and parts (box dimensions and port sizes). I'm looking forward to building something!

3. MORE. C'mon, this is the DIY forum, do you really have ask?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
Yeah, the "why" questions are fair. Reasons follow:

1. I worked hard on sub position and PEQ and am very happy with where I'm at from 15Hz to 90Hz. So, I'm on to tackling the next 20,000Hz and starting with the first few 100. I have lots of room in the center and can accommodate whatever monster I can build but, based on space, need it to be horizontal. I read tuxedocivic talking about whether the 1299 was a worthy upgrade. He wrote:

"Yes, the 1299 is a worthwhile upgrade in SQ if you can tolerate the size and cost. If it wasn't, the project would have been scrapped or reworked. The biggest difference IMO is the bass. Particularly the 80-200hz bass. It's more pronounced and present. Very solid and clear bass. The rest of the bandwidth is fairly similar sounding IMO."

I also like the sound of a seos 12 vs 10 and 6.5" mids vs 5".

2. I built 11 speakers and subs and had a blast doing it. I miss having something to work on. A new project sound fun - if I could just figure out the necessary numbers and parts (box dimensions and port sizes). I'm looking forward to building something!

3. MORE. C'mon, this is the DIY forum, do you really have ask?

Fair enough. You’ll still need WinISD. I can look to see if I still have my original designs for my 1299s when I planned on building them ported. But, I can’t promise anything.

It’s a big a$$ center. I love my 1299s. So, I certainly can understand your desire for MORE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Well if a fun project is what you seek, then just upgrade your lcr entirely to 1299
markg35 likes this.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page