Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 06-02-2019, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I understand not wanting to go through the hassle to take them outside. Maybe just position the mic 1 meter away.

What's the plan for surrounds?

What ended up being your total cost to build per speaker?
notfastenough likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 06-03-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post

Sound for movies has been great!! Considering what they were replacing, increased capability was going to happen no matter what haha! I rarely listen at reference, normally -10. At these levels they don't sound strained like the Polks did. Everything sounds very clear and the front stage is pretty cohesive when sounds are panning. Mad Max and Deadpool were treats!! I'm ready for Alita: Battle Angel to come out, should be fun as well. The Atomic Blonde was fun, especially when the music came around, great soundtrack.

I've also watched the John Wick 2 tunnel scene at reference and it was certainly loud, yet it didn't hurt your ears from being shrill or sharp. I'd say they are very capable HT speakers and sound good for music too. I really enjoyed Eagles in Melbourne, great sound and clarity. It was really cool to distinguish the sound of different instruments with such a busy stage. Guitars sound so great on these speakers, especially the songs where they were using 12 strings.

Honestly, having the center match and sit at screen level has really improved the movie watching experience. Adding the absorption has really helped the room as well. I feel like dialogue shouldn't be an issue for any seat in the house. All in all, I think the combination of changes along with reasonably good speakers made the difference in this area.

And when I built the THTs, I never though I'd consider adding any more, yet here we are. Upgrading as if a room really NEEDS 4 horned subs lol.
The benefit of a AT screen is worth every penny. Having the audio come from the center of the image, or in your case the entire image, I bet, is just life changing. When you get into 100+" screens its really almost nessecary at that point.

Id love to hear those things compared to the make shift curved SLA I built. Atomic blonde had some great music scenes.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #33 of 40 Old 06-03-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2300
IMHO the TLAH sounds better than the SLA that I built. I used better drivers than the plans called for for both. I also have original or stock Tlah to compare with the BFM crossovers. The differences going to better drivers was just a smoother response, which makes them sound more laid back. Of course this is without any EQ. I actually built a ported line array with the same number of drivers but it was 4 inches longer and deeper, My best array.

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
I’m glad they’ve changed the experience for you. I’ve never heard a TLAH or any line array. I am very curious about them.

As for the subs, think about it this way; 2 more reduces the strain on the first two drivers by almost half, plus adds 6 more dB. Not to mention if you can put them in the back, much better coverage for the whole theater. I love having 4. Hell, if I could talk my wife into it, and if I had the time, I’d build 4 more. They’re so much value for what they cost to build.
Oh yeah, I'm definitely leaning on improving sound for rational with the wife! The back row actually does need some help, so with 4, I hope to smooth it out a bit. Increased peak capability will be my little personal bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post
I understand not wanting to go through the hassle to take them outside. Maybe just position the mic 1 meter away.

Sure thing, I can do that. I remember reading something about a specific REW setting for full range indoor measurements though. It had something to do with the ability to ignore some reflections or duplicate readings from reflections, can't recall (the only problem I have with my memory)

Surrounds were a compromise when I first began installing the HT. I went with BIC FH8-W in walls for surround and surround backs. They've been pretty good overall, they can keep up with the TLAHs as far as I can tell so far. They really could keep up with the Polks, but haven't done any real checking since the LCR install.

Not including wire, batting, and tools bought for this job, I spent a little over $160 per speaker all in. Right after buying my first batch of components, the HT line at DIYSG released and I had a moment of buyer's remorse. I wanted to do a MTM HT8 because I think the dimensions could have worked with my desired screen configuration, but decided to press on with the TLAH build. I had essentially seduced myself with the idea of the silver baffles and black drivers with a line array lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
The benefit of a AT screen is worth every penny. Having the audio come from the center of the image, or in your case the entire image, I bet, is just life changing. When you get into 100+" screens its really almost nessecary at that point.

Id love to hear those things compared to the make shift curved SLA I built. Atomic blonde had some great music scenes.
That build is a cool concept. Summing a group of existing speakers is pretty neat. I was not sure how the effect was going to perform with the tweeter C2C spacing, but I'm glad it worked out!

Next movie on my agenda is Bohemian Rhapsody, then Lego Movie 2 for the family. These upgrades have made movie watching even more enjoyable and immersive. I don't find the speaker colors distracting, but I can see how it would for some. The light from the screen does highlight them some, but for me, it's a psycho-acoustical enhancement
post #35 of 40 Old 06-03-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked: 2300
I have speakers with the eminence beta 10s, have owned the deltalites, kappalites, etc. I prefer the soft dome arrays over the CDs I have heard and owned. The TLAH will also sound bigger as well. I have a dual 10 inch eminence beta speaker now and the reason I like it better than my upgraded TLAH is because of the tweeters. The array of 4s sound as good and can play louder than the dual 10s. I have been thinking about combining the 4s with the arrays of the nice tweets.

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
post #36 of 40 Old 06-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I have those in-walls for surrounds. For the levels I listen, they do the job. If I upgrade to Atmos, I'd add them in ceiling as well.
post #37 of 40 Old 06-03-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
" Upgrading as if a room really NEEDS 4 horned subs lol."

just ask @hd0823

he's got a lot to laugh about

JS

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #38 of 40 Old 06-03-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
" Upgrading as if a room really NEEDS 4 horned subs lol."

just ask @hd0823

he's got a lot to laugh about

JS
Lol I'm actually building 2 more horns I guess not really a horn but 6th order band pass box. You can never have to much bass lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #39 of 40 Old 06-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 433
@hd0823 can claim six horns in his setup, the horn does not flare and the rear chamber is vented instead of sealed, but it is a front loaded horn The way in which the system is configured is a 6th order band pass.

Stormbreaker | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread | B.M.D. (in progress)
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
post #40 of 40 Old 06-05-2019, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDontee View Post

Yeah, I was setting this up for tonight, but ran out of time before everyone came home. Be patient with me, it's tough getting some time to set up and have a quiet house. I'll get it though!!
JDontee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page