• 1 Post By frankwp
  • 4 Post By kagtha

post #1 of 17 Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Crappy Front Height Speakers

Which Front Height DIY speakers would match this reflective room / 1099 fronts?

Considering a couple v2 Volt-6's or 8s but will I be better off to wait for the HT-8 since I only have 1 row of seating and will never upgrade to atmos in this room.

Or will the timbre match the volts better? Is my logic flawed? Is there a better option to match the Elusive 1099s?

<------Back history------->

I finally decided to upgrade my old AVR and gained this new-fangled thing called Front Height speakers.

I thought it might be a gimmick so I installed some tiny MLT-2 martin logan surrounds up there... and OMG I really like the extra surface area they project.

So my thought is that if I match timbre/sensitivity to the front 1099s, then MultEQ will allow the overall whopping 75 watts/ch to sound overall louder and overall clearer since they would match vocals closer.

PS I am waiting for my 19-year-old to move out with the cat before installing the 2-inch fluffy carpet and other acoustic enhancements so please don't beat me up about the acoustics. :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Current-speaker-layout-crap-front-heights.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	2579034  
Red Five and Craig S King like this.

DIY HTR: One 800 lb. VBSS credenza, 3 horizontal Elusive 1099s, 2 HT-8 height duty wedges, & 2 DIY Volt 6 Tabletop Surrounds.
Bedroom:5 MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds, 2 hidden DIY shallow 12's, & 2 BST Bass Shakers on 2 PB875 Ensos.

Last edited by kagtha; 06-11-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
I was just going to say HT-8s would do wonderfully up there The front height speakers are the best thing to get after the 5 bed speakers. They create a very expansive feel up front. Have you reached out to Erich about when they will be back in stock?
Purenv and kagtha like this.

This is the way...
Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Dual Mini Devastator Build
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | 3000DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
post #3 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I’m pondering the same thing to do with my room. And it’s all @Red Five ‘s fault!
Thank you John for all your help. Down the hole we all go....!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red Five and kagtha like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I'm seeing in-wall 1099 heights, but that's just me
kagtha, CrusherW9 and Craig S King like this.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

I just might go with the Volt-6s since Erich responded to my email with:

"My pick would be Volt-6, Volt-8, or HT-8. Honestly, any of those would
be just fine."

I can make the volt-6s virtually disappear if I wanted to so its a go for me.

It is hard to imagine that little ring left on the Volt 6s would do so good compared to the 8s but everything I have read says they are super close, so I am probably going for concealment and great sound.

Unless Erich is trying to get rid of the Volt 6s like hot potatoes .. lol

DIY HTR: One 800 lb. VBSS credenza, 3 horizontal Elusive 1099s, 2 HT-8 height duty wedges, & 2 DIY Volt 6 Tabletop Surrounds.
Bedroom:5 MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds, 2 hidden DIY shallow 12's, & 2 BST Bass Shakers on 2 PB875 Ensos.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-12-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 698
If you desire height speakers, I'd suggest the Volt 6's, or possibly the Volt 8's.
kagtha likes this.

Ask your doctor if DIY is right for you. Side effects of DIY may include anxiety, elevated blood pressure, lightheadedness, rapid heartbeat, skeletal muscle flaccidity, euphoria, psychological dependence, insomnia, confusion, blurred vision, impulsivity, uncontrolled or repeated movements.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
I'm seeing in-wall 1099 heights, but that's just me
1099's little brother 893's!
When they come back.Also a set for rears!
kagtha likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 06-22-2019, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

I have been checking the DIY website every day and the HT-8s just came back up for sale. But no flat-packs yet.

So I went ahead and purchased the HT-8's for the front heights and some volt 6's for the rear surrounds to complete my living room. (Who am I kidding, I still have the Ultimax sitting in an unopened box from the last Black Friday. This forum is worse than crack.)
asarose247 likes this.

post #9 of 17 Old 06-22-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked: 3102
I installed Volt 10's for my Height speakers. I would suggest you push them as far up the wall as necessary so they are at 45 degree up from ear level.

Front:

Rear:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03198_sm.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2583048   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03199_sm.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	2583050  
kagtha and asarose247 like this.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-22-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I installed Volt 10's for my Height speakers. I would suggest you push them as far up the wall as necessary so they are at 45 degree up from ear level.

Front:

Rear:

I absolutely LOVE your boxes! Great idea! I am guessing they are not ported, how low do you have them crossed over at?

I might do something similar, but up a bit further like you said. I might even test imbedding an LED wall wash light on the top too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

post #11 of 17 Old 06-22-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked: 3102
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post
I absolutely LOVE your boxes! Great idea! I am guessing they are not ported, how low do you have them crossed over at?

I might do something similar, but up a bit further like you said. I might even test imbedding an LED wall wash light on the top too.
Thanks. 45 degree wedge enclosures are surprisingly hard to build compare to a normal rectangle. Non-glossy white paint will also be one of my last choices for a speaker finish in the future. I used satin paint that's the same color as the ceiling and it was an experience. I swear marks just appeared on them from going near the enclosures.

They are sealed. Audyssey wanted to cross the fronts at 100Hz and the rears at 60Hz. I left the fronts at 100Hz and bumped the rears to 80Hz.
kagtha likes this.

Last edited by Stereodude; 06-22-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-08-2019, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Is it ok to move the center of the 8" driver further away from the center axis of the compression driver or waveguide?

For instance, on the HT-8, it is about 7.5" from center to center. Can I make it 11" or even 14" with little consequence?
@Erich H

I still don't know how to tag someone right. I would prefer Erich but I know he is busy, so please help me here so I can finish designing my front height HT-8 wedges.

post #13 of 17 Old 07-08-2019, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The center to center spacing of the drivers is part of the crossover design. Changing it to what you propose would completely destroy the sound. Your mileage may vary...
post #14 of 17 Old 07-08-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1929 Post(s)
Liked: 2794
Moving it a little bit (like under 1") probably wouldn't be the end of the world for what you're doing with the speakers, but 7" away wouldn't work.
kagtha likes this.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-08-2019, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I'll not comment on the speakers to use, but make some suggestions as to placement. Ideally, the LF & RF speakers should be at the same elevation as the center line of the screen. And your screen is really high. Consider lowering the screen to just above the fireplace and moving the center speaker above the screen. If heat from the fireplace is a concern, then put in a thin mantle shelf to act as a heat shield. Be sure to check the fireplace specs for required clearances.

I built a mantle for my daughter's fireplace that is a sandwich of MDF - 1" XPS insulation board - MDF. The edges were clad with 3/4" oak trim & the whole thing sprayed a semi-gloss black. Very nice looking with the open oak grain showing in the paint.

The underside gets quite hot, but the top, where the TV is, stays nice and cool. Clearances are as per fireplace specs. And viewing is now much more comfortable with the TV lowered down. Optimum placement puts the center line of the screen at about eye level when seated. Of course, with multi row seating, it will need to be a little higher than that.
kagtha likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-08-2019, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwp View Post
I'll not comment on the speakers to use, but make some suggestions as to placement. Ideally, the LF & RF speakers should be at the same elevation as the center line of the screen. And your screen is really high. Consider lowering the screen to just above the fireplace and moving the center speaker above the screen. If heat from the fireplace is a concern, then put in a thin mantle shelf to act as a heat shield. Be sure to check the fireplace specs for required clearances.

I built a mantle for my daughter's fireplace that is a sandwich of MDF - 1" XPS insulation board - MDF. The edges were clad with 3/4" oak trim & the whole thing sprayed a semi-gloss black. Very nice looking with the open oak grain showing in the paint.

The underside gets quite hot, but the top, where the TV is, stays nice and cool. Clearances are as per fireplace specs. And viewing is now much more comfortable with the TV lowered down. Optimum placement puts the center line of the screen at about eye level when seated. Of course, with multi row seating, it will need to be a little higher than that.
Well...

I just moved the TV down tight to the center. (A whopping 4 inches)

I know it's not what you suggested but a decent compromise for now.

Erich is going to send me a couple vertical 1099 baffles when he sends out his next batch.

Hopefully I will have enough energy to install them inset on the sides of the TV.

I was blown away how the front heights fill in the top. It sounds like the entire wall is a speaker. I honestly really like it the way it is now but am pretty sure I'll LOVE IT once the HT-8 front heights are up.

Working on the Volt-6 surrounds right now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

post #17 of 17 Old 08-06-2019, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

Finished the HT-8 front height wedges last night. Looks great in person and LOVE the sound of the "Entire front wall effect".

Leaving for the airport in an hour, no time to calibrate.

Last edited by kagtha; 08-06-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page