Ok, a lot more progress this morning, things are getting close.
Just to show a step that I didn't post last time, preparing the terminal cups. I measured where I wanted the cups, and used the appropriately sized hole saw. If you haven't used one before, this is a whole saw:
Next, cut the whole. I just centered it on the back, and placed it high enough that I knew I'd have plenty of clearance for the board later.
Finally, check that the cup sits well. Mine came with a seal, but I'll likely use some silicone anyway. This came right off after the dry fit, since I'll be attaching veneer before installing the cup.
Then I prepped and secured the speaker wire for the input and two drivers. I learned the hard way that doing this later is not fun...
Next, secured the boards on the bottom of the box, spacers installed with 4 screws.
After that, time to secure the front baffle. You can see in the above pic, that I cleaned up the face of the box first. There was a bit of 3M glue overspray, and a bit of denim insulation stuck there. Just to make sure the baffle had a nice surface, I ran the 220grit sander over it one more time. In case anyone wants to see what a wize old woodworker was the best method of gluing, first lay down a bead of glue.
Next spread it evenly across the whole surface, I use the small brush I showed a few pics back.
Lastly, place the baffle, and clamp. You want to clamp just tight enough that you get glue squeezed out, which I immediately wipe off with a damp rag. IMO it's easier to wipe now than scrape later. Remember that the purpose of clamps isn't to squeeze the living daylights out, it's to hold everything in place while the glue dries. The clamps are evenly spread around, with a couple slid inwards to help secure the baffle to the inside brace. I only clamp tightly enough that I can lift by the clamps to move the whole thing without anything shifting.
That's where we're at, as of 15 minutes ago. Everything is pretty much done on the build, next step is the veneer. As a teaser (to share my pain b/c I have to go to work and can't play with it) here's a shot of the veneer, which showed up yesterday.
Yup, I'm a big meanie...