I recently got the urge to break out my ancient vinyl collection, and realized two things:
1) I'm old
2) I have NOTHING to play it on!
I can't do anything about the first, but I've embarked on a project to solve the second.
I'll probably start a main thread for the rest of the system, so everyone can learn from my mistakes, so this thread will focus on the speakers. As any (smart) DIYer would do, the first place I looked was DIYSG for a pair of kicka$$ bookshelves to handle speaker duties. If you haven't had the pleasure, I highly recommend Erich and the crew over at DIYSoundGroup for tackling your own speaker projects. I used his stuff for my HT build, and couldn't be happier. For these bookshelves I wanted something capable of giving me a broad range of sound, with good efficiency and solid clarity. I'm not 100% sure about whether I'll add a sub down the line, so after much consideration I went with a pair of Apollo-7 MT
s. In the past I've built the boxes from scratch, but this time I decided to give his flatpacks a go, and let my DIYness focus on potentially prettying them up with some veneer when I finish.
First step: Unboxing
We've all had to deal with Erich's shoddy packing jobs in the past, and this time was no exception.
Literally a box, stuffed with popcorn, another box, with more popcorn, protective wrapping, and beautifully sorted components within. I've never seen anyone who puts better time and effort into ensuring their product arrives safely. They do an incredible job!!
After playing with the flatpack, I'm 99% sure it'll take me less time to glue it up than it did to unbox.