• 2 Post By rocksnboarder
  • 2 Post By notfastenough
  • 1 Post By rocksnboarder

post #1 of 18 Old 06-22-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I finally was able to purchase speakers from DIY SOUNDGROUP! I can't wait till they get here.
Initially, I was going to get the 1099s especially after hearing them at dtsdigs place, but they've been out of stock for a while and I couldn't wait any longer. I've been doing research on the 12s and I like what I've read so I decided to pull the trigger.
They will replace my front lcr NHT speakers that I've had for 10 years. This is my second build post. I previously built a vbss and will be building a second one soon. After I complete my HTM-12 speakers I'll be upgrading my surrounds with volts. Can't wait to build these and test them out!
kagtha, dtsdig and notfastenough like this.

Last edited by rocksnboarder; 07-17-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-22-2019, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 6
grats man, shows OOS for me when i try to add 3 to the cart so your lucky as they've been OOS for a while. I do know they are doing something with the kits and inventory though
post #3 of 18 Old 06-22-2019, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1056
wrt HTM12's . .

as a 'replacement" for wanting more F15's (RIP), it's about the sound stage those 15" horns can put out
I asked Matt about a cabinet / port change for a lower tuning possibility - no baffle change.
His reply:

If the HTM-12 was built as 18"w x 25"h x 18"d it will give an F3 in the upper 40's and in room should give decent extension and output down to the low 40's upper 30's. Ports for this modification do not need to be changed from the 3" stock length.

so If you didn't order the flat pack, if space allows, you have some better options fi you want to try for a full range 2.0 system.

even a "stock" build will keep you smiling . .

HTH

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-22-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm very sure you will have stifled one aspect of "upgrade-itis" . .
Have fun with the build and finish
then
Got REW and some good REQ?

BM is going to require you set your new L/R to small . .

My F15's got the same treatment and it could make you wonder what the heck is going on-
until you remember that it's just physics . .
dial'em (and some of the room) in and celebrate

L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
post #5 of 18 Old 06-22-2019, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

The only software I have is from my Yamaha rxv675 receiver. So YPAO. I don't have anything greater than that. I might have to ask dtsdig to come over with his advanced equipment... @dtsdig lol
dtsdig likes this.

Last edited by rocksnboarder; 07-17-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-22-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 540
What's up with all the &#115

I've seen that on several posts today from I think more than one poster. Forum update today?
post #7 of 18 Old 06-22-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had a 775 that recently refused to even come on despite whatever "fix" I could dig up . . .
. bricked

I need to re-do my you tube search for that, some thing about a cap for the power cb - or not . . .

Ypao does have it's limitations but
that's the beauty of REW, as a before and after of "what have we here" scenario

and in the REW thread I'll bet you can read what other Yammy owners have run into and how they dealt with it

the collective "know-how" of AVS'ers is a can-do resource.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-22-2019, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
I had a 775 that recently refused to even come on despite whatever "fix" I could dig up . . .
. bricked

I need to re-do my you tube search for that, some thing about a cap for the power cb - or not . . .

Ypao does have it's limitations but
that's the beauty of REWs a before and after of "what have we here" scenario

and in the REW thread I'll bet you can read what other Yammy ownershave run into and how they dealt with it

the collective "know-how" of AVS'ers is a can-do resource.
sounds like I have some more reading to do

Last edited by rocksnboarder; 07-17-2019 at 11:35 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-22-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
What's up with all the &#115

I've seen that on several posts today from I think more than one poster. Forum update today?
I saw this as well. I didn't get a response when I mentioned it to the poster.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #10 of 18 Old 06-23-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
I saw this as well. I didn't get a response when I mentioned it to the poster.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/43-fo...364-115-s.html
johnson636 likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #11 of 18 Old 06-23-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksnboarder View Post
I'm not sure I understand the question. I don't see any s's. I did, however, have a problem with my first post and had to delete it because it was doing funky things to it. Is that what your talking about?
Take a look at this thread on a PC with Firefox or Chrome. Known issue, being looked into (the thread I linked above).
Vital likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #12 of 18 Old 06-23-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksnboarder View Post
I'm not sure I understand the question. I don't see any s's. I did, however, have a problem with my first post and had to delete it because it was doing funky things to it. Is that what your talking about?
Take a look at this thread on a PC with Firefox or Chrome. Known issue, being looked into (the thread I linked above).
Gotcha
post #13 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

The speakers are here! I had enough time to put together one flat pack without the front baffle. It goes together like a dream. I also soldered one board. My 6 year old had the opportunity to learn how to solder! He loved it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190713-141127_Gallery_1563041579841.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	2590342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190713-141119_Gallery_1563041591702.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	2590344   Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoCapture_20190707-193040_1563041632099.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	773.7 KB
ID:	2590346  
mtg90 and asarose247 like this.

Last edited by rocksnboarder; 07-17-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #14 of 18 Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

The speakers are done! They were super easy to build when you buy the flat packs. The packaging is so overkill and I like it. Everything was wrapped and then wrapped again. My only complaint is that my kids started peanut wars in my bonus room!

I ran a hearing test so far and put one htm-12 up against my nht, kef, and Hsu speakers. I had 2 of each against one htm-12. My father-in-law came over and listened with me. We played a ton of music and started to switch between the speakers. It wasn't even close. The htm-12 speaker blew all of them out of the water! I knew they would as I've been reading about these speakers for a while now, but I wasn't prepared for this. They were better in every way and they were turned down a lot from the ypao results. After the test my FIL couldn't believe the difference. Then I told him I only had one hooked up. He could have sworn I had all three the whole time. He was mind blown.

As an end result, I really couldn't be happier. All the hype about DIYSG is true. If you ask me, there's not enough hype after you hear some of their speakers. Thank you Erich and Matt for designing these and answering my questions over email about the orders. It has truly been a great experience.

As for pictures, I painted them black and they will be behind a spandex screen like the others have been forever. I am going to create a stage and an acoustic wall and then I'll have pictures up. Still trying to find another sub to compliment these. I have one vbss build so I may do another or a Marty. Still researching what will be best. See you guys back here in a couple months.
dtsdig and jcmccorm like this.

Last edited by rocksnboarder; 07-17-2019 at 09:37 AM.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 197

This is what's displayed to everyone not using the "Enhanced Mobile" view. But here's the translation for rocksnboarder's review:

"The speakers are done! They were super easy to build when you buy the flat packs. The packaging is so overkill and I like it. Everything was wrapped and then wrapped again. My only complaint is that my kids started peanut wars in my bonus room!

I ran a hearing test so far and put one htm-12 up against my nht, kef, and Hsu speakers. I had 2 of each against one htm-12. My father-in-law came over and listened with me. We played a ton of music and started to switch between the speakers. It wasn't even close. The htm-12 speaker blew all of them out of the water! I knew they would as I've been reading about these speakers for a while now, but I wasn't prepared for this. They were better in every way and they were turned down a lot from the ypao results. After the test my FIL couldn't believe the difference. Then I told him I only had one hooked up. He could have sworn I had all three the whole time. He was mind blown.

As an end result, I really couldn't be happier. All the hype about DIYSG is true. If you ask me, there's not enough hype after you hear some of their speakers. Thank you Erich and Matt for designing these and answering my questions over email about the orders. It has truly been a great experience.

As for pictures, I painted them black and they will be behind a spandex screen like the others have been forever. I am going to create a stage and an acoustic wall and then I'll have pictures up. Still trying to find another sub to compliment these. I have one vbss build so I may do another or a Marty. Still researching what will be best. See you guys back here in a couple months."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-17 08_43_59-My HTM-12 build - AVS Forum _ Home Theater Discussions And Reviews.png
Views:	36
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	2591766  
smcmillan2 and JCJetta like this.
post #16 of 18 Old 07-17-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post

This is what's displayed to everyone not using the "Enhanced Mobile" view. But here's the translation for rocksnboarder's review:

"The speakers are done! They were super easy to build when you buy the flat packs. The packaging is so overkill and I like it. Everything was wrapped and then wrapped again. My only complaint is that my kids started peanut wars in my bonus room!

As for pictures, I painted them black and they will be behind a spandex screen like the others have been forever. I am going to create a stage and an acoustic wall and then I'll have pictures up. Still trying to find another sub to compliment these. I have one vbss build so I may do another or a Marty. Still researching what will be best. See you guys back here in a couple months."
I fixed some of it. I'll have to fix it all in a little bit. Now I understand what's happening. I didn't know I was in enhanced mode. Now I figured it out. Sorry guys.
notfastenough likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-17-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 1386
post #18 of 18 Old 07-17-2019, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
Congrats on your speakers! When you are finished getting everything in place, I would love a demo!
sounds good man! I'm going to build a stage, drywall the ceiling and some more acoustic treatments. When I get that stuff done, I will invite you over. I may need help figuring out where to put some atmos speakers and alignment of the mains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page