Help with art clean box and minidsp - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2019, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Help with art clean box and minidsp

So im fairly new with the DIY area but with my first project im running into a couple bumps. I just finally finished my subs and bought a crown xls 2502 to power both of them. I have a yamaha 870 receiver and 2 things i have run into is ground loop and very low output. Im pretty sure the low output is due to the yamaha reciever's pre outs. I was able to eliminate ground loop connecting crown to yamaha using xlr to rca, but i get ground loop with rca to rca. I also get ground loop when i add in the mini dsp. I just bought an art clean box and wil come in wednesday but my question after reading a bunch of reviews, im pretty sure this will fix the low output but not so much the ground loop problem as many people said they got ground loop from this device because its not earth grounded or can it potentially fix the ground loop? I only have a HTPC hooked up to my receiver via hdmi into the graphics card. Another question i have is where do i incorporate the mini dsp with the art clean box?? sorry if it sounds like im clueless as i am when it comes to home audio. this is what i purchased is this the correct unit?? thanks in advance https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxP...A2LXBKOLL3J3K6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have my ClearboxPro 2 wired like this:

AVR's LFE output (RCA) to Clean Box unbalanced input (RCA) --> Clean Box balanced output XLR to Behringer NU3000DSP input.

No ground loop. No noise. Also, I turn on the Clean Box before the amplifier, if i do it the other way around I get a big and loud "bump" from the subwoofer.

I think the MiniDSP should be immediately after the AVR's LFR... so AVR - MiniDSP - CleanBox - Amplifier.

The balanced gain knob of the Clean Box it's in the middle. Try to feed the MiniDSP with a pre-amp "powerful" enough, maybe by using your pre-amp gain in the AVR setup. The Clean Box has a total gain of +11 I think and should be more than enough to feed the amplifier.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I have a similar set up and actually posted my question on the minidsp forum (integrating a minidsp 2x4HD with an isolator/converter). They said to put the isolator AFTER the minidsp (which makes sense if you think about the unbalanced to balanced signal chain). I had a ground loop that was solved with a Jensen Iso Sub 2RX and wanted to add a minidsp. My signal chain is now like this:

Two sub outs on receiver to two in's on the minidsp 2x4 HD via 2 RCA to RCA cables (unbalanced to unbalanced);
Four out's from minidsp 2x4 HD to four in's on two separate Iso Sub 2RX's via 4 RCA to RCA cables (unbalanced to unbalanced);
Four outs from Iso Sub 2RX's to four in's on two separate NX6000D's via 4 XLR to XLR cables (balanced to balanced);
Four Neutrik cables to four Mini Marty subs.

Why the Minidsp AND Behringer dsp? BEQ!

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E Atmos; 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's.
COMPONENTS: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 2 x NX6000d; Epson 5040UB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
I have a similar set up and actually posted my question on the minidsp forum (integrating a minidsp 2x4HD with an isolator/converter). They said to put the isolator AFTER the minidsp (which makes sense if you think about the unbalanced to balanced signal chain). I had a ground loop that was solved with a Jensen Iso Sub 2RX and wanted to add a minidsp. My signal chain is now like this:

Two sub outs on receiver to two in's on the minidsp 2x4 HD via 2 RCA to RCA cables (unbalanced to unbalanced);
Four out's from minidsp 2x4 HD to four in's on two separate Iso Sub 2RX's via 4 RCA to RCA cables (unbalanced to unbalanced);
Four outs from Iso Sub 2RX's to four in's on two separate NX6000D's via 4 XLR to XLR cables (balanced to balanced);
Four Neutrik cables to four Mini Marty subs.

Why the Minidsp AND Behringer dsp? BEQ!
My setup uses the NU3000DSP, (I don't own a MiniDSP), the OP uses a Crown without DSP but he uses a MiniDSP (don't know if it's HD or not).
post #5 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replies, sure helps a lot, so I only have rca to rca and rca to xlr, should I get xlr to xlr or will the rca to xlr be ok?
post #6 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 03:19 PM

I’m not familiar with the cleanbox (although many here love it). Assuming you got the cleanbox pro, the pic I see online has rca in and xlr out. Where were you planning to attach your rca to xlr cable? If you’re using the Minidsp 2x4 or hd you’ll have rca ins and outs. I would definitely run rca cables on the unbalanced side (receiver to Minidsp to cleanbox in) and xlr cables on the balanced side (cleanbox out to amp). I guess you could run the rca to xlr “backwards” since your amp takes rca in, by why not just get the cheap xlr to xlr cables on the balanced side if you can?

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E Atmos; 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's.
COMPONENTS: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 2 x NX6000d; Epson 5040UB.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyslim View Post
Thanks for replies, sure helps a lot, so I only have rca to rca and rca to xlr, should I get xlr to xlr or will the rca to xlr be ok?
just like the post above this, i would recommend get cheap xlr cables to run the balanced side, from cleanbox to amp.

your amp has rca input, but i would be that that input is unbalanced.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 Old 06-26-2019, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The cleanbox did nothing for my annoying ground loop
post #9 of 10 Old 06-27-2019, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to report that everything is working perfectly. Only problem I have now is all my RCAs are 6ft in length so will be going to 3ft for less clutter and I did ending up doing xlr to xlr from clean box to amp, thanks again everyone
post #10 of 10 Old 06-27-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyslim View Post
Just wanted to report that everything is working perfectly. Only problem I have now is all my RCAs are 6ft in length so will be going to 3ft for less clutter and I did ending up doing xlr to xlr from clean box to amp, thanks again everyone
Exact same thing happened to me (sorry, I should have warned you)! I went ended up with 3 ft rca’s and 1.5 ft xlr’s (and my devices are all in the same component shelves). Glad it worked out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page