HSU CCB-8 or DIYSG Volt/HT/HTM - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2
  • 2 Post By goonstopher

post #1 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 4
HSU CCB-8 or DIYSG Volt/HT/HTM

Hi,

I am looking to stop upgrading and stop looking for better sound... at least for a while. i have build a couple of USD$100ish per speaker DIY designs, and I am always thinking... "not good enough, I've heard same-price retail options that sound similar", which if you consider the work/time you put in DIY you would expect a more satisfying experience. Please don't get me wrong, I love DIY, but some times I don't have all the time you need to make it enjoyable.

So... think I will pony up on my next purchase, and just get the best DIY (or not) for me, and "wrap it up" for a couple of years. So, first and more important, looking to replace LCR.

My room is very small, squared, with one door, untreated and destined only to tv & movies. I have dual 15" sealed SW which are OK for me, and don't need more (in fact looked to reduce them but it was not worth it). I hear my movies at around 75/80 db (sometimes even lower) and not much else, not even near reference...

Space and location are constrained, so I am looking to bookshelf speakers not floorstanders. They need to be placed near wall (around 20 centimeters), L and R at ear level and C below the TV tilted so the HF is aiming the head of the MLP. Also, they need to be powered by an AVR, so good sensitivity is a must.

So these are my choices, and I t would be great to hear your recommendations, as there is no graph nor measurements for these speakers.

1-. HSU RESEARCH CCB-8 Bookshelf Speaker --> around USD$360 each

2-. DIYSG HTM8 --> USD$239 each

3-. DIYSG HTM 10 --> USD277 each

4-. DIYSG VOLT 8 --> USD$161 each

5-. DIYSG VOLT 10 (front ported) --> USD$169 each

Of course if money would be the most important factor I would choose the Volt 10. But to certain limit, it isn't in this case. Also, I am afraid the highs used in the Volts is not up to the task, as they seem similar to the DNA-150, which i did not like, and to me it sounded muffled.

The HSU research seems very nice, and several reviews concur that it's a detailed and dynamic speaker, which, with clear dialog, are things I am very fond of. But they cost twice the Volts, and as I live overseas, shipping to me would cost a tad more that DIY, where I save on volume and weight, but hey... it's a ready to use solution, no cutting, no drilling, nothing. If these (or any other similar retail option) are comparable in SQ to the DIYSG offering I would consider them.

All the reviews and comments regarding the HTM lines are very positive and recommend them, but I am afraid that these reviews are more focused on "specialized" HT rooms, with reference hearing levels, discrete amp, multi channel audio processors and 100" screens. Clearly, not my case.

What do you think? Maybe I am wrong and I shouldn't look into home theater speakers, and look over audiophile speakers with ribbon tweeters and european components? Maybe the Paul Carmody's Speedster? Still I will use them 100% for movies, but maybe my room and hearing requirements are more compatible to them.

My room , although untreated, should be very easy for a speaker to sound good. It's small, low to medium volumes and a not so demanding listener (a.k.a. me).

Hey, looking forward to your opinion. I can upload some pictures of my room for you to make an idea of what I said.

Cheers!

Last edited by marto2009; 06-25-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
pictures would help,
all dimensions ,
to mlp

my mancave is small about 10 x 10 and I'm about 7-ish +/_ from the 65" TV and the LCR pictured,
the system is 5.2.4
but more often than not, for most listening, the HTM6's (on AVR power- denon x5200) and the subs > plenty good and clear
and Ive been told my ears are over 70 y.o. (but I'm in denial about the rest of the beast)
nonetheless

DIYSG didn't have any 8's in stock at the time last fall or I'da got'em
but I have zero regerts about the 6's. XT32 put the xo @ 100 .
the CC is a now gone Fusion 6 .
the l/r are toed in more than you see in the pic but the stereo imaging, clarity, detail HUGENESS of the sound stage (source dependent)

do I want the 8's? they would fit
sure
Are the 6's totally socko?
H3LL YEAH!
but if you have the budget for the HTM10's ,
the 12" SEOS horns will put a smile on your face everytime

get that order in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTM6 and Fusion6CC- mancave.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	2584352  

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #3 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
pictures would help,
all dimensions ,
to mlp

my mancave is small about 10 x 10 and I'm about 7-ish +/_ from the 65" TV and the LCR pictured,
the system is 5.2.4
but more often than not, for most listening, the HTM6's (on AVR power- denon x5200) and the subs > plenty good and clear
and Ive been told my ears are over 70 y.o. (but I'm in denial about the rest of the beast)
nonetheless

DIYSG didn't have any 8's in stock at the time last fall or I'da got'em
but I have zero regerts about the 6's. XT32 put the xo @ 100 .
the CC is a now gone Fusion 6 .
the l/r are toed in more than you see in the pic but the stereo imaging, clarity, detail HUGENESS of the sound stage (source dependent)

do I want the 8's? they would fit
sure
Are the 6's totally socko?
H3LL YEAH!
but if you have the budget for the HTM10's ,
the 12" SEOS horns will put a smile on your face everytime

get that order in
Thanks for your reply!

Well, my room it's a little bit smaller, and I am a little bit closer to the screen (55 incher). Curiously, I am running a Fusion 6 LCR right now.

So you would definitely recommend the HTM-10? It surely has an advantage in shipping cost, as they are neodymium speakers, and they weight much less.

On the other hand, most reviews @ DIYSG website seem to use these speakers behind an AT screen, and even for surround duties!

I will upload some pictures of my room within the day,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by marto2009 View Post
Thanks for your reply!

Well, my room it's a little bit smaller, and I am a little bit closer to the screen (55 incher). Curiously, I am running a Fusion 6 LCR right now.

So you would definitely recommend the HTM-10? It surely has an advantage in shipping cost, as they are neodymium speakers, and they weight much less.

On the other hand, most reviews @ DIYSG website seem to use these speakers behind an AT screen, and even for surround duties!

I will upload some pictures of my room within the day,
Given your room size and MLP proximity to the speakers, I would say the HTM-8s would be a good fit. Love my HTM-10s (not behind a screen) but they may be a bit large in your room.

At a recent gtg we had the opportunity to hear the HTM-8 and HT-8 side-by-side. Tough to tell a difference, the HTM-8 had perhaps the slightest edge. You can read JC's thoughts here. That page also has pics of the HTM-6, 8, 10 and 12 all next to each other, for a little perspective on size.
asarose247 likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #5 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I haven't heard any of the HTM series, but my recently acquired trio of Hsu CCB-8s offer up more detail & clarity than my Volt-6v2 (same compression driver as the Volt-10), or my Fusion-8 Alchemys.

Last edited by scotthal; 06-25-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #6 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Given your room size and MLP proximity to the speakers, I would say the HTM-8s would be a good fit. Love my HTM-10s (not behind a screen) but they may be a bit large in your room.

At a recent gtg we had the opportunity to hear the HTM-8 and HT-8 side-by-side. Tough to tell a difference, the HTM-8 had perhaps the slightest edge. You can read JC's thoughts here. That page also has pics of the HTM-6, 8, 10 and 12 all next to each other, for a little perspective on size.
Great! I will read the thread and the impressions! The HT-8 it's very attractive price wise. Regarding your HTM10, do you use them at reference level? or at moderate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
I haven't heard any of the HTM series, but my recently acquired trio of Hsu CCB-8s offer up more detail & clarity than my Volt-6v2 (same compression driver as the Volt-10), or my Fusion-8 Alchemys.
Wow, I would expect the HSU to be better than the Volt 6, which are mostly for surrounds, but the Fusion 8 are Jeff Bagby's well regarded design... If the HSU are a 10 (regarding dynamics, detail and dialogue clarity) how many points would you give to the Fusion 8?? Just to have an idea of the difference.
post #7 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 295 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
The Fusion-8 was purposely designed for a more laid back sound so it won't be as bright sounding as other speakers might be. The 1099 is a brighter sounding speaker and people often comment on how it's the most crystal clear speaker they've ever heard......yet they use the same compression driver as the Fusion-8.

Some people don't like bright speakers, other people do. Don't forget that you can usually just do some light adjusting to either pull the highs down a bit or boost them back up to how you like the speaker to sound.

post #8 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
The Fusion-8 was purposely designed for a more laid back sound so it won't be as bright sounding as other speakers might be. The 1099 is a brighter sounding speaker and people often comment on how it's the most crystal clear speaker they've ever heard......yet they use the same compression driver as the Fusion-8.

Some people don't like bright speakers, other people do. Don't forget that you can usually just do some light adjusting to either pull the highs down a bit or boost them back up to how you like the speaker to sound.
Erich,

Do you think the HT8 is un upgrade from the Fusion 8?

Or attended I don't want to upgrade in a while, I should aim for the HTM-10? Or maybe an "audiophile" designs?
post #9 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
more devil's advocate than may be healthy . . .

I forgot to ask my Doctor if it was right for me . .

Got an audiophile room / treatments to go with those audiophile speakers . . .

Visit the audio setup and chat thread and show us the areas of improvement suggested by due diligence with REW.

but get the HTM10's anyway . .

because

TDH

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #10 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Wow, I would expect the HSU to be better than the Volt 6, which are mostly for surrounds, but the Fusion 8 are Jeff Bagby's well regarded design... If the HSU are a 10 (regarding dynamics, detail and dialogue clarity) how many points would you give to the Fusion 8?? Just to have an idea of the difference.
If the HSU is a 10, I'd rate the Fusion-8s as an 8 for critically listening to music, & mayhap a 9 (or 10) for movies. The Fusion-8s win on cost, efficiency, breadth of the sweet spot, and placement flexibility. The CCB-8s have a much narrower sweet spot, the 12" deep rear-ported cabinets are harder to place, but the soundstage seems to have more depth, clarity, & nuance. Differences aren't all that noticeable in an HT environment - I tend to get engaged in the visuals.

Set both up in 2.2 configuration for the A:B (retaining my Rythmik subs for <80Hz, & being too lazy to swap out centers on the front truss). Ran YPAO for both configurations to equalize and level match.
post #11 of 29 Old 06-26-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great! I will read the thread and the impressions! The HT-8 it's very attractive price wise. Regarding your HTM10, do you use them at reference level? or at moderate?
The only time our HTM-10s were played at reference was at the gtg I linked to earlier. We listen at -10 at most, typically -20 and lower. They are impressive at all levels.

We have Fusion-8s in another room and really like them, but the HTMs are my favorite for movie watching. As Erich mentioned the F8s are a bit more laid back, I did not engage the HF pad on the HTMs so that may have something to do with my preference for them.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

post #12 of 29 Old 06-26-2019, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The only time our HTM-10s were played at reference was at the gtg I linked to earlier. We listen at -10 at most, typically -20 and lower. They are impressive at all levels.

We have Fusion-8s in another room and really like them, but the HTMs are my favorite for movie watching. As Erich mentioned the F8s are a bit more laid back, I did not engage the HF pad on the HTMs so that may have something to do with my preference for them.
Quote:
If the HSU is a 10, I'd rate the Fusion-8s as an 8 for critically listening to music, & mayhap a 9 (or 10) for movies. The Fusion-8s win on cost, efficiency, breadth of the sweet spot, and placement flexibility. The CCB-8s have a much narrower sweet spot, the 12" deep rear-ported cabinets are harder to place, but the soundstage seems to have more depth, clarity, & nuance. Differences aren't all that noticeable in an HT environment - I tend to get engaged in the visuals.

Set both up in 2.2 configuration for the A:B (retaining my Rythmik subs for <80Hz, & being too lazy to swap out centers on the front truss). Ran YPAO for both configurations to equalize and level match.
Thanks for your replies.

It's seems the HTM-10 is probably the best choice I have.

Here are some pictures and dimensions of my room (sorry for the poor quality and poor "photoshop" skills).

I realize the TV rack need to be modified to allocate a an HTM10 below the TV. No problem.

Also, the second subwoofer is missing in the pics, but it the same as the other and goes on the other side of the rack. And, as you see room is untreated.

Would you say the HTM-10 is not too big for my room? Keep in mind I can separate the L and R to much, because the space is quite narrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2584908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	2584910  
post #13 of 29 Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 PM

I'd say the HTM-10 may be overkill, but you won't regret 'em. Have you considered mounting the center channel above the TV? I have my center channel Fusion-8 flipped (waveguide at the bottom) mounted above my LCD.
post #14 of 29 Old 06-27-2019, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd say the HTM-10 may be overkill, but you won't regret 'em. Have you considered mounting the center channel above the TV? I have my center channel Fusion-8 flipped (waveguide at the bottom) mounted above my LCD.
that what i thought, and maybe the short distance to the MLP wont allow the LF and HF to merge properly... thats why I considered the Volt line.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 29 Old 06-27-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Thanks for your replies.

It's seems the HTM-10 is probably the best choice I have.

Here are some pictures and dimensions of my room (sorry for the poor quality and poor "photoshop" skills).

I realize the TV rack need to be modified to allocate a an HTM10 below the TV. No problem.

Also, the second subwoofer is missing in the pics, but it the same as the other and goes on the other side of the rack. And, as you see room is untreated.

Would you say the HTM-10 is not too big for my room? Keep in mind I can separate the L and R to much, because the space is quite narrow.
Most important thing that picture shows is that you REALLY should add some sound panels on the back wall
18Hurts and krholmberg like this.
post #16 of 29 Old 06-27-2019, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post
Most important thing that picture shows is that you REALLY should add some sound panels on the back wall
By back wall you mean the "solid" wall or the wall behind the speakers?
post #17 of 29 Old 06-27-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
By back wall you mean the "solid" wall or the wall behind the speakers?
The wall behind your head. But really both .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Krister
post #18 of 29 Old 06-27-2019, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post
The wall behind your head. But really both .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
well, thanks for you recommendations. i will start right now to learn where and how to do them, and i will install them after i purchase the speakers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 29 Old 06-28-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Yea that wall behind the couch has to be causing strong early reflections. I wouldn't be shocked if you could keep your speakers if the room was properly treated

I'm no expert but this seems like a layup
post #20 of 29 Old 06-28-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher View Post
Yea that wall behind the couch has to be causing strong early reflections. I wouldn't be shocked if you could keep your speakers if the room was properly treated

I'm no expert but this seems like a layup
Well, I will start with this site:
http://acousticsfreq.com/where-to-pl...-home-theater/

And obviosuly domr threads in the Audio Theory, Setup & Chat forum.

Any other recommended sire for sound proofing beginner? I think I will add 2 inch sound proffing panels in both walls and see how it goes from there...

In any case I think will purchase the HTM-10 as it seems a good upgrade from where I am right now, even thou the problems might be, in part, in my room.
post #21 of 29 Old 06-29-2019, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I see you're close to a decision, but I'll give my thoughts anyway on the Hsu's. I've had the Hsu's for about 5 mos. They might not work for your size room; despite being bookshelves they put out down to ~50hz in my 19.5x15x8 room. Without EQ they could overload a smaller room. The other consideration is placement, which is finicky and takes work. They are best with some breathing room, not against the walls (mine are ~3ft from back wall and ~4ft from side walls). They also MUST be elevated on 36" stands and toed in extremely (L/R axis crossing several feet in front of the listener); Hsu specifies them as having flat response at 15&#176; off axis. (Pointed at you and at ear level they will sound bright.) This set-up is per Hsu's instructions, as they are constant-directivity (narrow-dispersion) speakers; this placement operates on an acoustic principle called time-intensity trading, which widens the sweet spot. The reward, with proper placement, is outstanding imaging and huge soundstaging over a very wide sweetspot. I can sit on either far side of a 7-ft couch and still hear a solid stereo image that hasn't collapsed to the nearest speaker; of course, imaging is best in the sweet spot, but several listeners can still experience a solid stereo image off-axis. I use them in a 2.1 set-up and, due to the dialogue clarity and wide sweet spot, haven't found the need for a center channel. You might also consider Hsu's smaller speaker, the HB-1 mk2, which might be easier to place in your room. Bottom line, I prefer the CC-B 8s to my old $2500 msrp Mirage OMD-15s (fried on an electrical surge), which I loved for their soundstaging and even wider sweet spot, but didn't image as precisely as the Hsu's.
post #22 of 29 Old 06-29-2019, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see you're close to a decision, but I'll give my thoughts on the Hsu's anyway in case you change your mind and can figure out placement limitations. I've had them for about 5 mos, in a 2.1 config. They do require breathing room, so I'm not sure if they would work for your room. Mine are ~3ft from the back wall and ~4ft from side walls (in a 19.5x15x8 room). They also MUST be set up per Hsu's instructions, or they will sound bright: on 36" stands and toed in extremely so the L/R axis crosses several ft in front of the listener spot. This is because they were engineered to sound flat at 15° off axis, and be placed per an acoustic principle called time-intensity trading. The reward is a very wide sweet spot with spectacular and holographic soundstaging and imaging. In my set up they image with musicians "in the room", populating a wide, tall, and deep soundstage that extends beyond speaker boundaries. The listening sweet spot extends the width of my 7-ft sofa; you can sit on the far side of the sofa and still hear a solid center stereo image that doesn't collapse to the nearest speaker. Of course imaging is best at the center spot. Dialogue intelligibilty is precise and clear, so I don't even feel the need for a center. They do well on both music and movies, with neutral response and wide, effortless dynamics. They'll also reveal weaknesses in your upstream electronics. I'm really impressed by how they handle power orchestral music like Mahler 2nd, explosive piano music like Liszt B Minor Sonata, and rock, from Talking Heads to Queen. And I don't really miss the more expensive Mirage OMD-15 towers they replaced (fried in an electrical surge).

Last edited by larry500; 06-29-2019 at 01:48 AM.
post #23 of 29 Old 06-29-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Chan View Post
I see you're close to a decision, but I'll give my thoughts anyway on the Hsu's. I've had the Hsu's for about 5 mos. They might not work for your size room; despite being bookshelves they put out down to ~50hz in my 19.5x15x8 room. Without EQ they could overload a smaller room. The other consideration is placement, which is finicky and takes work. They are best with some breathing room, not against the walls (mine are ~3ft from back wall and ~4ft from side walls). They also MUST be elevated on 36" stands and toed in extremely (L/R axis crossing several feet in front of the listener); Hsu specifies them as having flat response at 15&#176; off axis. (Pointed at you and at ear level they will sound bright.) This set-up is per Hsu's instructions, as they are constant-directivity (narrow-dispersion) speakers; this placement operates on an acoustic principle called time-intensity trading, which widens the sweet spot. The reward, with proper placement, is outstanding imaging and huge soundstaging over a very wide sweetspot. I can sit on either far side of a 7-ft couch and still hear a solid stereo image that hasn't collapsed to the nearest speaker; of course, imaging is best in the sweet spot, but several listeners can still experience a solid stereo image off-axis. I use them in a 2.1 set-up and, due to the dialogue clarity and wide sweet spot, haven't found the need for a center channel. You might also consider Hsu's smaller speaker, the HB-1 mk2, which might be easier to place in your room. Bottom line, I prefer the CC-B 8s to my old $2500 msrp Mirage OMD-15s (fried on an electrical surge), which I loved for their soundstaging and even wider sweet spot, but didn't image as precisely as the Hsu's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry500 View Post
I see you're close to a decision, but I'll give my thoughts on the Hsu's anyway in case you change your mind and can figure out placement limitations. I've had them for about 5 mos, in a 2.1 config. They do require breathing room, so I'm not sure if they would work for your room. Mine are ~3ft from the back wall and ~4ft from side walls (in a 19.5x15x8 room). They also MUST be set up per Hsu's instructions, or they will sound bright: on 36" stands and toed in extremely so the L/R axis crosses several ft in front of the listener spot. This is because they were engineered to sound flat at 15° off axis, and be placed per an acoustic principle called time-intensity trading. The reward is a very wide sweet spot with spectacular and holographic soundstaging and imaging. In my set up they image with musicians "in the room", populating a wide, tall, and deep soundstage that extends beyond speaker boundaries. The listening sweet spot extends the width of my 7-ft sofa; you can sit on the far side of the sofa and still hear a solid center stereo image that doesn't collapse to the nearest speaker. Of course imaging is best at the center spot. Dialogue intelligibilty is precise and clear, so I don't even feel the need for a center. They do well on both music and movies, with neutral response and wide, effortless dynamics. They'll also reveal weaknesses in your upstream electronics. I'm really impressed by how they handle power orchestral music like Mahler 2nd, explosive piano music like Liszt B Minor Sonata, and rock, from Talking Heads to Queen. And I don't really miss the more expensive Mirage OMD-15 towers they replaced (fried in an electrical surge).
Larry,

Thanks for your comments. The HSU's seems very nice speakers, but like you say, my constrained space, and near wall location might be a problem to them. If I consider that with the higher price (in parts and shipping) I will have to pay, then it's reasonable to get the HTM line... even getting the HTM10 will be preferrable to the HT-8 (my budget option) as those Celestion drivers are heavier than the Deltalite 2510 on the HTM10 and I will end paying more in shipping and less in speaker parts...

Thanks again for your help!
post #24 of 29 Old 06-29-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I consider that with the higher price (in parts and shipping) I will have to pay, then it's reasonable to get the HTM line... even getting the HTM10 will be preferrable to the HT-8 (my budget option) as those Celestion drivers are heavier than the Deltalite 2510 on the HTM10 and I will end paying more in shipping and less in speaker parts...
Note that the HTM-8s are back in stock, those would save you a bit of money and they would fit your room better IMO.

post #25 of 29 Old 06-29-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Larry,

Thanks for your comments. The HSU's seems very nice speakers, but like you say, my constrained space, and near wall location might be a problem to them. If I consider that with the higher price (in parts and shipping) I will have to pay, then it's reasonable to get the HTM line... even getting the HTM10 will be preferrable to the HT-8 (my budget option) as those Celestion drivers are heavier than the Deltalite 2510 on the HTM10 and I will end paying more in shipping and less in speaker parts...

Thanks again for your help!
You might consider Hsu's smaller and cheaper HB1 mk2 and matching center. Hsu sells bundled configs with their subs: e.g., a 5.1 HB1 mk2 with VTF-2 sub retails for $1299.

http://hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html

It's also received rave reviews. Might work better for your space. Good luck and happy listening, whichever set up you buy!

Last edited by larry500; 06-29-2019 at 02:55 PM.
post #26 of 29 Old 06-30-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Didn't see much mention of the speedster/ribbon tweeter that the OP mentioned.. That may fit the OP more than the compression driver. If he doesn't need the SPL of the compression driver and likes the sound of the ribbon... just a thought.
post #27 of 29 Old 07-01-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Note that the HTM-8s are back in stock, those would save you a bit of money and they would fit your room better IMO.
Yes! size wise it seems better to me. I will keep an eye on it, and look for reviews, to see how it compares to the HTM-10, if the difference in performance is substantial, I might get the 10's as the price difference it's not that much (around USD$115 for 3 speakers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry500 View Post
You might consider Hsu's smaller and cheaper HB1 mk2 and matching center. Hsu sells bundled configs with their subs: e.g., a 5.1 HB1 mk2 with VTF-2 sub retails for $1299.

http://hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2mk5pkg.html

It's also received rave reviews. Might work better for your space. Good luck and happy listening, whichever set up you buy!
Yes, of course I checked them, they are very attractive @ USD$180 each... but they seem very similar to what I have now and really would like to upgrade and avoid another upgrade in the coming years... Another thing to consider, is that the shipping of 5 assembled speakers would probably cost me as much as (or more) than the speakers.

When I get DIY speakers, the shipping cost is lower (no box) and I may also argue with customs that they are not retail samples, but assembling parts so taxes are lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post
Didn't see much mention of the speedster/ribbon tweeter that the OP mentioned.. That may fit the OP more than the compression driver. If he doesn't need the SPL of the compression driver and likes the sound of the ribbon... just a thought.
I do not need the SPL of CD, and that's why I am so hesitant to buy another waveguide+CD design, and I "guessed" a more audiophile oriented speaker would suit my needs better... but the people has spoken... and the consensus seems to be two things:

-. my room needs to be sound treated, at least the front and back walls
-. DIYSG HTM line (8 or 10) is a noticeable upgrade from where I am right now, even @ low volumes.

But I will not forget your recommendation. In fact, when I disassemble my Fusion 6, I will re-purpose the woofers to build a Playmax K01, which use a ribbon tweeter.
post #28 of 29 Old 07-02-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Yes! size wise it seems better to me. I will keep an eye on it, and look for reviews, to see how it compares to the HTM-10, if the difference in performance is substantial, I might get the 10's as the price difference it's not that much (around USD$115 for 3 speakers).

Yes, of course I checked them, they are very attractive @ USD$180 each... but they seem very similar to what I have now and really would like to upgrade and avoid another upgrade in the coming years... Another thing to consider, is that the shipping of 5 assembled speakers would probably cost me as much as (or more) than the speakers.

When I get DIY speakers, the shipping cost is lower (no box) and I may also argue with customs that they are not retail samples, but assembling parts so taxes are lower.

I do not need the SPL of CD, and that's why I am so hesitant to buy another waveguide+CD design, and I "guessed" a more audiophile oriented speaker would suit my needs better... but the people has spoken... and the consensus seems to be two things:

-. my room needs to be sound treated, at least the front and back walls
-. DIYSG HTM line (8 or 10) is a noticeable upgrade from where I am right now, even @ low volumes.

But I will not forget your recommendation. In fact, when I disassemble my Fusion 6, I will re-purpose the woofers to build a Playmax K01, which use a ribbon tweeter.

Sound logic. Keep forgetting you have customs and shipping to contend with. Look forward to seeing updates on your system build and your evaluation of its sound. Best of luck.
post #29 of 29 Old 07-03-2019, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2500 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
I built the HTM-8’s as they were the largest size I wanted in my living room, but would love to have the capability of the HTM-10’s as I feel they are quite a bit more capable as far as the woofer goes. If you are ok with the size I think they are very much worth while vs the HTM-8’s. Until you get exceed the HTM-8’s capabilities I don’t think there would be much difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page