• 2 Post By johnson636
  • 1 Post By zeus33

post #1 of 18 Old 07-02-2019, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 0
iNuke red rings

I saw a couple posts about this but was hoping for some input. I bought a used iNuke 3000DSP off of someone local. Purchased some speakon cables off of amazon and hooked up my first sub to find a good location to set it up. Worked fine when I set that up. I then plugged in my other sub, with the second cable, and did a sub crawl. After finding the best spot I unhooked the speakon and moved the sub to that location. I hooked everything back up, didn't even hide my wires at this point and turned the system on. Immediately had a horrible scratchy noise coming from the second subwoofer. I ran over to the speaker and there were sparks flying out of the end of the speakon. The solder connection on the wire was absolutely horrible (see attached pics) and there ended up being a short in the connector. The amp powered off and will now refuse to start, it just has solid red lights. I contacted the company that I bought the cables from and they basically told me to **** off and that it wasn't their problem nor was it their fault. I am hoping there is some way to fix the amp, maybe there is a way to reset the protection on it? I don't have a lot of excess cash and have been saving up for this setup for a while, really bummed I got to listen to it for a whole 5 seconds before everything went to ****.

https://imgur.com/a/RSYUncv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-02-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 834
That sucks. Have you removed everything except power from the iNuke and tried turning it on?

As the cables were purchased through Amazon I would suggest contacting their support group to see what type of recourse you have through them.

Hope it works out for you.
bebb likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #3 of 18 Old 07-02-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 4333
Who did you buy the cables from? (Whoever they are... it sounds super dodgy.)

You could try replacing the cable (from somewhere else) and the fuse, but chances are the amp is completely bricked.

Never buy used audio IMO. Not never.

If you had bought the cable and amp from a reputable place then for-starters there is a much higher chance of it working on the first go (or you'll get a replacement for free or your money back), and if it dies within a year... a free repair or replacement.

You are pretty much SOL as it stands.
Maybe you can find a local repair guy, and maybe they don't make it worse and cost you even more!
Or just cut your losses and start new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-02-2019, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
That sucks. Have you removed everything except power from the iNuke and tried turning it on?

As the cables were purchased through Amazon I would suggest contacting their support group to see what type of recourse you have through them.

Hope it works out for you.
That was the first thing I tried. No dice. I contacted Amazon. They were helpful and put me in touch with the company and refunded me immediately, no questions asked. I filed a health/safety form out with them. This was their "Amazon Choice" cable. Unfortunately since it was a third party cable that is all they can do, which is completely understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post

You could try replacing the cable (from somewhere else) and the fuse, but chances are the amp is completely bricked.

If you had bought the cable and amp from a reputable place then for-starters there is a much higher chance of it working on the first go (or you'll get a replacement for free or your money back), and if it dies within a year... a free repair or replacement.

Maybe you can find a local repair guy, and maybe they don't make it worse and cost you even more!
Cables were purchased on Amazon. They were the "Amazon Choice" cables. They are supplied by a company called AV Leaderz (lmao). I should have read the reviews but have never had a problem with Amazon Choice products. There are multiple people on there with soldered connections, but I don't see any fried amps. So there is no protection circuit that I can trip on these? I know on a couple of my old car audio amps if you shorted out there were fuses or circuits in place that you could trip.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-02-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHusk View Post
So there is no protection circuit that I can trip on these? I know on a couple of my old car audio amps if you shorted out there were fuses or circuits in place that you could trip.
There is a fuse, it's located in the bottom right corner of your first picture. Worth a shot, I don't know it's rating offhand.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #6 of 18 Old 07-02-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 4333
$h!t happens I guess.
But most of the stuff on amazon is from China or India. Nuff said...

The amp saw 0-ohms, the chance of it surviving is low.
Class-D is much more fragile to short circuits than old-school amps.
All you can do is "try" to replace the fuses. Worst-case the fuse re-blows or the amp catches on fire.

These amps are so cheap that the repair bill might not even be worth it; and what kind of amp will you be getting back...
It's entirely up to you.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-03-2019, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 5103
I had my inuke 3,000 dsp amp repaired by a local shop after I sent it a direct short and cost me 160$ from what I remember. It was cheaper than buying a new one. Do some google searches for a amplifier repair shop around you you should find something.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-03-2019, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
I had my inuke 3,000 dsp amp repaired by a local shop after I sent it a direct short and cost me 160$ from what I remember. It was cheaper than buying a new one. Do some google searches for a amplifier repair shop around you you should find something.
Thats good to know. I will call around and see what I can find. Worst case is I am out $300 for a newer NX I guess.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-03-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1315 Post(s)
Liked: 787
I'd suggest making your own speakon cables just to be safe.
markg35 and Russell Burrows like this.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #10 of 18 Old 07-03-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
I'd suggest making your own speakon cables just to be safe.

That, or at least open the ones you buy and inspect them before hooking them up and make sure they are assembled properly.
johnson636 likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-05-2019, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

In this situation, a new one would have also cooked, and a factory warranty would not cover this type of damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Volt-10 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
DIY 110" AT Screen
post #12 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
So says the guy who buys a lot from China, sight unseen. (Grateful for it, because you share the result on here.)

If bad sound were Faital, good sound would be almost impossible
Killed two Mach5 21s and three UM-18s (and counting?)
post #13 of 18 Old 07-07-2019, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebb View Post
So says the guy who buys a lot from China, sight unseen. (Grateful for it, because you share the result on here.)
Chinese does not equate to used.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #14 of 18 Old 07-08-2019, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I always insist on opening any boxed item and powering on with nothing connected to test , opening boxed hdtv or projector to check if item is intact and cables i always assemble diy as i do not trust preassembled cables also i do not trust voltage spikes as i run my equipment with voltage regulators and thinking of doing wall outlet to voltage regulator to voltage regulators then equipment .Yep i am paranoid about voltage variation as my electric provider is trashy level .

Denon 4k avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount at diy 135 inch screen triple 15 boss build .
Pending buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains new 4k lg hu70la projector 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #15 of 18 Old 07-13-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
@iHusk

So, was this ever resolved? Did you get the amp working/fixed?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #16 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebb View Post

Not a whole lot that’s not made in China these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Volt-10 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
DIY 110" AT Screen
post #17 of 18 Old 07-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Sorry to hear this, "Amazon Choice" is not always the best. Sometimes they are good but rest is ****-- best ive seen is Monoprice- cheap and good quality keep at them untill you get refund, as for amp--SOL
post #18 of 18 Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The OP has blessed us with a cautionary tale.
While I've never used premade Speakon cabling, if someone were to, the OP's experience tells us to take the connectors apart and check the workmanship.
As the OP has shown, the consequences of poor workmanship could be dire.

The photos of the OP's connectors show horrendous workmanship. It seems the company put more thought into its name, than its products.
Clipping the wires, stripping the correct amount of insulation and reassembling the connectors will have those cables working like champs.

Yo mama so fat, time slow when she near.

I don't wanna grow up, I'm an AVS kid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page