1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnson636

post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Helix Dome MTM vs Fusion 8s

I have Fusion 8s LCR and Volt 6s in the rear. I'm pretty happy with them, but wish they were a little warmer and had a better sound stage. I feel it is narrow and lacks depth. The Helix Domes are 3db less sensitive, but are 4 ohms vs 8 so I imagine there wouldn't be a big difference in output. I almost never listen louder than -17. Any thoughts on how the two compare? Thanks!

Last edited by audiosq; 07-11-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosq View Post
I have Fusion 8s LCR and Volt 6s in the rear. I'm pretty happy with them, but wish they were a little warmer and had a better soundstage. I feel it is narrow and lacks depth. The Helix Domes are 3db less sensitive, but are 4 ohms vs 8 so I imagine there wouldn't be a big difference in output. I almost never listen louder than -17. Any thoughts on how the two compare? Thanks!
Just so you know, there is an issue with the letter "s". I think it has to do with using the enhanced mobile view from a browser. For reference, here's the same text corrected:

I have Fusion 8s LCR and Volt 6s in the rear. I'm pretty happy with them, but wish they were a little warmer and had a better soundstage. I feel it is narrow and lacks depth. The Helix Domes are 3db less sensitive, but are 4 ohms vs 8 so I imagine there wouldn't be a big difference in output. I almost never listen louder than -17. Any thoughts on how the two compare? Thanks!
post #3 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Thank you for that. A shame we need an Enigma machine to decode these threads
notfastenough likes this.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 MOFO 15s in 2 dual ported cabs 17Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Wow.. it didn't look like that on my phone. I fixed it on my computer. Hopefully it shows up correct this time. Thanks for the translation.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2019, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 342
You mentioned wanting it a little bit 'warmer' and this description is usually used by folks looking for either more bass or the distortion characteristics from old audio equipment. If you are wanting to restore the old feeling of listening to older audio equipment your best bet is to use either tube amps or grab some older equipment. If you want a bit more bass the Helix's offer a bit more bass than the F8's but you should have subs, do you not? I don't see the Helix's really blowing you away.

As for sound stage, the F8's have great power handling and low distortion so they should sound fine within their respecting range.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked: 3883
The Fusion 8's have a very accurate frequency response but they are not capable of full range playback, which means the treble is going to sound stronger than the bass if you don't have them paired with subs. So this would be the first step if you don't have subs....get subs.

Although I haven't seen FR measurements of the Helix Domes, I would assume that they also are likely to have an accurate frequency response as they are also designed by Jeff Bagby. They will certainly play lower without a sub than the F8's so in that regard the tonal balance will certainly be more prominent on the low end without a sub, but should be used with subs regardless imo.

IMO, the biggest difference between the two designs(when properly crossed over to subs) will be that the F8's are a controlled directivity design that limit far off axis dispersion, which of course limits reflections off walls, ceilings, floors. The Helix domes OTOH are more of a wide dispersion design that will have more wide axis reflections adding to the sound you hear.

Personally, I think the one way to tell which design you would like better would be to build a pair and get them in your room and compare. For lower level listening, either speaker would be far more than capable in terms of SPL. If higher level movie listening is your thing, the F8's would pull away the closer you get to reference level due to greater sensitivity, higher power handling, lower distortion, greater dynamics etc.

The Helix domes look like a very interesting speaker to me as well and I think this would be a very interesting experiment to compare the two speaker designs, just wish Jeff would provide some on and off axis measurements as we know this is a very important aspect of how the speakers will perform and sound.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiosq View Post
I have Fusion 8s LCR and Volt 6s in the rear. I'm pretty happy with them, but wish they were a little warmer and had a better sound stage. I feel it is narrow and lacks depth. The Helix Domes are 3db less sensitive, but are 4 ohms vs 8 so I imagine there wouldn't be a big difference in output. I almost never listen louder than -17. Any thoughts on how the two compare? Thanks!
I recently just finished my LCR MTM helix's. Don't mean to hijack but you can take a look at my post. I give a little comparison coming from a pair of tempests and a quad center. Don't feel like typing it out and don't know if copy pasta in here is acceptable. I will say that I am enjoying them alot and it's nice to have a matching LCR. The domes sound very spot on and are pretty dang accurate in my opinion.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickreagan120 View Post
I recently just finished my LCR MTM helix's. Don't mean to hijack but you can take a look at my post. I give a little comparison coming from a pair of tempests and a quad center. Don't feel like typing it out and don't know if copy pasta in here is acceptable. I will say that I am enjoying them alot and it's nice to have a matching LCR. The domes sound very spot on and are pretty dang accurate in my opinion.
I do have subs, an 18" and a 12". I do plan on replacing the 12 with something more suited to an MBM.

Rickreagan, I do think I recall reading your post. Where are you in Houston? Not that I'm inviting myself over as that is rude and I'm more prone to let myself be consumed by fear and anxiety.. but I'm also in the Houston area. Magnolia/Woodlands. Go Stros!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs