• 1 Post By asarose247

post #1 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Inuke Question

Hey,

so I've been using my UM18-22s in Johnnysubs for a little over a year now ( or has it even been a full year? Don't know...).
From the get go I coupled them with an inuke 6000 DSP.

The best way to use them I found was to put one subwoofer in the front right corner, the other one in the back left corner. I turn up the gain knobs on the inuke all the way to 100% and lower the gain to -12dB on the inuke's Xover settings, as well as -12dB in my Marantz SR7012's Audyssey setup.

What happens now is, that I'm having great and insane bass and I'm seriously happy with it - the only problem is the clipping and I don't know where it's coming from.

Watching Kong: Skull Island as example - The Inuke's clipping lights light up within the first 3 minutes of the movie more than once, even when watching the movie on -20 Volume. The strange part is, that the lights below the clipping lights DON'T light up. Sometimes it's just one light, sometimes two, sometimes even none - yet the red light lights up during some scenes.

What could the issue be? I didn't set a limiter. I'm using a HPF at 18 Hz following LTD02's guide. Except the -12 dB gain in the inuke's settings and the -12 dB on the AVR I didn't change anything in comparison to his settings.

I hope someone's able to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-15-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 707
The knobs on the front aren't gain, they are input attenuators. You need to turn those down, put the gain back to 0 in the software, re-run Audyssey and repeat until Audyssey sets the sub level to around -7 or so.

At that point you can increase/decrease the sub level on the Marantz to your liking, and you should see very little/no clipping.
jevchance likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Strange, because I actually read in this forum that you'd have to turn the knobs up to 100% and adjust via gain in the Inuke itself so that Audyssey calibrates it between -8 and -11.

What confuses me is that although Audyssey calibrates the Subs to -10.5 either way ( doesn't matter if I turn the knobs to 100% and adjust the gain or, let's say, 50% and leave the gain as is) - there's still an enormous difference in "feel". Although the volume should be the same the tactile feeling I'm getting with the knobs at 100% is much more intense and satisfying in comparison to anything below that.

That's why I'm trying to figure it out, because I ran the Inuke at 100% for months now and suddenly the clipping lights start at strange levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old Yesterday, 03:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 154
This may help :

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...amp-gains.html

If you do not already you need to get a Umik mic and download REW from Home Theater Shack ( you have to sign up first to get download ) With the mic and REW I do it this way with each amp regardless whether its for subs or not I turn the front panel knobs fully ccw then with REW on and my mic set at ear level at MLP doing one channel at a time turn amp knob cw until I reach either 75 or 80db ( I like bass so I use 80 ) once you have it set leave it alone do not touch it amp is set do this for both channels. On your Marantz you set the sub trim level to your personal taste and yes every single time I run Audyessy it always sets the sub level at -12. Once Audyessy is done I turn the sub level on my Denon to 0db whether all agree or not not once have I had any issues with clip?

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K

Last edited by Cichlid109; Yesterday at 03:26 AM. Reason: wrong link
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
@Cichlid109 , Vosten

FTR
REW is now downloaded from Av Nirvana,

iirc
Cichlid109 likes this.

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Before you go buying things and spending money, you should post screenshots of each page of your inuke's settings first. It's not impossible for the settings to be altered or deleted from memory (or maybe even just not input correctly in the first place).

It could be a simple error and easy to catch.

Then go buy a Umik and dowload REW. (It's SO worth it)

http://cross-spectrum.com/measuremen...ated_umik.html

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subs are like pizzas: you get way more good stuff with the big ones.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...uxl-build.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-overture.html

Last edited by bimmaguy; Yesterday at 11:12 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
@Cichlid109 , Vosten

FTR
REW is now downloaded from Av Nirvana,

iirc
I have had REW for quite sometime did not know you could get it elsewhere.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
post #8 of 8 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
my recent experience , especially wrt current changes for updates is,

you will directed to that site ,

and I've had it for 6 years .
I credit REW and @Austin Jerry with a most enjoyable tumble thru the rabbit hole . . .

and beyond.

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page