Change my mind-Ported subs cant touch sealed - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 116Likes

post #181 of 201 Old 08-15-2019, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson636 View Post
@Remy.Alexander I'm rooting for ya
Thanks I appreciate it again sorry about earlier. Now that im seeing the comments as they were intended i feel like a ass.

Friends dont let friends try to communicate via laptop and phone while measuring and dealing with three demons under 5.

Going to leave them as is and listen, Just trying to determine the HPF I was going to set at 10HZ but thats a -12DB LS12 at 20 as er LT and the gain to offset would have to be equal I think and that is a scary thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 201 Old 08-15-2019, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy.Alexander View Post
Going to leave them as is and listen, Just trying to determine the HPF I was going to set at 10HZ but thats a -12DB LS12 at 20 as er LT and the gain to offset would have to be equal I think and that is a scary thought
Maybe I'm having a brainfart... what's an LS12?
post #183 of 201 Old 08-15-2019, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lknhomeaudio View Post
meant HS12 lol Brainfarts all around.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...z-dcx2496.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 201 Old 08-15-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Low Shelf Filter.

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
post #185 of 201 Old 08-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Hell, it looks good to me the way it is... playing nicely down to 10hz!
post #186 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Nah for some reason when I open the page a few comments were melded together and looked like he was going on and on, we all make mistakes so I apologize to you both. @johnson636

Illl continue to monitor them and listen for anything nasty. If so ill brace more. We have plaster and garbage so even my $50 stud finder cant find a stud and its a rental so theyll have to not tip lol. The woofer is almost half way so they shouldnt be to top heavy, but i get your meaning. I might just add a couple more felt pads to the front to tip them back a bit
No worries here. I know a lot can get lost or mixed between the brain and pc all the way across to someone else without much context. I rarely have a truly emotional reaction to forums and try to assume the better thoughts in people.

Yeah, pre-tipping back isn't a bad idea if that's the best option. If doing that plus some sand, it would probably be fairly stable.
Remy.Alexander likes this.
post #187 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked: 2551
Yes, don't add anything yet, meaning EQ. Get the second sub built and see if that alone will smooth out the response and you will be golden! I never add eq to my system anymore, I just place carefully to smooth it out. I use EQ as last resort.

Nothing right now
post #188 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Yes, don't add anything yet, meaning EQ. Get the second sub built and see if that alone will smooth out the response and you will be golden! I never add eq to my system anymore, I just place carefully to smooth it out. I use EQ as last resort.

Forgot to mention that last sweep was both at MLP- Demon 4 year old daughter doing her zombie moan/cry sucks the life out of my brain lol. I have nothing but a "guess" HPF which Id love to dial in- Im just unsure of the adding gain aspect to off set negative HS12- Dont want to tax my amplifier to much
post #189 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 561
It is understanding that ported subs when hit their tune the bass falls fast like off a cliff while a sealed sub has a gradual decline. If I am wrong than someone please correct me but that what I have been told numerous times when I have asked the question. I use two sealed subs currently and am happy with what I have. with that being said eventually when I move into a house I would like to add two more so I have one in each corner. I know some of the DIYer's are getting low single digit numbers but I am not in that class. On a side note I recently went to a SVS event that SVS had at a local av shop I go to. they were we showing off some of their ported subs and they were the worst subs I have ever heard. my buddy who works there looked at and said I am not going to tell the president of SVS how to tune their own gear. I am not sure if they were tuned incorrectly or just turned up to loud for what they were capable of but I heard more distortion than bass, it was sad.
post #190 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Im just unsure of the adding gain aspect to off set negative HS12- Dont want to tax my amplifier to much

Why are you running a negative shelf?
post #191 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
It is understanding that ported subs when hit their tune the bass falls fast like off a cliff while a sealed sub has a gradual decline. If I am wrong than someone please correct me...

The way you said it is a bit hyperbolic.

Sealed rolloff is 12 dB/oct, ported is 24 dB/oct.

That said, for ported the driver unloads quickly below Fb so it becomes vulnerable to overexcursion.

Noah
post #192 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Why are you running a negative shelf?
its how you extend the HPF on Inukes

post #193 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
It is understanding that ported subs when hit their tune the bass falls fast like off a cliff while a sealed sub has a gradual decline. If I am wrong than someone please correct me but that what I have been told numerous times when I have asked the question. I use two sealed subs currently and am happy with what I have. with that being said eventually when I move into a house I would like to add two more so I have one in each corner. I know some of the DIYer's are getting low single digit numbers but I am not in that class. On a side note I recently went to a SVS event that SVS had at a local av shop I go to. they were we showing off some of their ported subs and they were the worst subs I have ever heard. my buddy who works there looked at and said I am not going to tell the president of SVS how to tune their own gear. I am not sure if they were tuned incorrectly or just turned up to loud for what they were capable of but I heard more distortion than bass, it was sad.

You're correct, Ported fall off slower. I was getting amazing bass with my dual sealed. BUT I had to push them harder from what Im told. Im getting almost the same with 300 watts when before I was using 500W. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my sealed - But after popping in Edge Of Tomorrow for opening demo it shook literally shook/vibrated the muscles in my legs so maybe there is something to ported.
post #194 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked: 2551
Quote:
You're correct, Ported fall off slower. I was getting amazing bass with my dual sealed. BUT I had to push them harder from what Im told. Im getting almost the same with 300 watts when before I was using 500W. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my sealed - But after popping in Edge Of Tomorrow for opening demo it shook literally shook/vibrated the muscles in my legs so maybe there is something to ported.
It is called more spl and TR at tune. It is like having 4 sealed instead of two, 8 if you built them the correct size.

Nothing right now
post #195 of 201 Old 08-16-2019, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
its how you extend the HPF on Inukes

Ahhh, okay! I forgot you were having to jerryrig a HPF.
post #196 of 201 Old 08-17-2019, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ahhh, okay! I forgot you were having to jerryrig a HPF.
Yeah, I need to quit playing games with my equipment and get a MiniDSP
post #197 of 201 Old 08-17-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I need to quit playing games with my equipment and get a MiniDSP

Yeah, they're nice!

Honestly, I don't even use a HPF and my box is tuned to 18 or so. The only time I have to be careful is at full power, playing material with frequencies lower than tuning... such as movies and re-bassed songs. If I play movies at -3 or -6 on the AVR, it never bottoms the sub out, so I just don't run one. Normal music I can play wide ass open without any fears.

With yours being tuned to 13 or so, I'd probably just experiment with low frequency material, and start out at -10dB on the AVR and slowly creep up on the volume and see how it behaves with material below tuning(because that's the only place your excursion will run rampant). Down to 13hz, you can play as loud as you want because cone movement is at a minimum there.

Non-linearities in the speaker's suspension will more than likely save you from needing anything. (Gets harder and harder to move, as it travels to full excursion. Imagine compressing a spring... speakers also have a progressive rate, of sorts.)

Last edited by lknhomeaudio; 08-17-2019 at 10:43 AM.
post #198 of 201 Old 08-18-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

I got a few min to tinker this morning. Getting MASSIVE feedback from the PC on same socket as amps !!!!! so now I have to find a better place, buy 10mile long cables lol-- BUT I was using REW and doing a generated sweep from 10-20HZ. I could only go to -7 on AVR as I think I have to much positive level somewhere killing amp. but it was pretty damn intense. (Common issue with audyssey and +levels it limits volume you can have)

I had to stop because i slowely was turning up volume and every notch would pop- To much interference and I have one of the Inukes that POPS when turned on lol. For now I have HPF at 10HZ Ill most likely remove it later once I isolate the interference. This old POS house is driving me nuts.

But it was fun- Build seems pretty damn solid- No port cuffing- Windows took a beating so that was funny.
post #199 of 201 Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Uggghhhh, gotta hate that crap. My brother fought massive amp ground loop noise for years. I finally fixed it for him with XLR cables instead of the 1/4" jacks.
post #200 of 201 Old 08-18-2019, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Quoted: 3763 Post(s)
Liked: 4269
Quote:
Getting MASSIVE feedback from the PC on same socket as amps !!!!!
I use this fiber optic HDMI cable for all HDMI interconnects for galvanic isolation.
https://www.amazon.com/DTECH-Fiber-1...dp/B07J4SGKDS/
YMMV / "Works for me..."
post #201 of 201 Old 08-18-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
I use this fiber optic HDMI cable for all HDMI interconnects for galvanic isolation.
https://www.amazon.com/DTECH-Fiber-1...dp/B07J4SGKDS/
YMMV / "Works for me..."

AH, rich ppl cables lol. Funny how we abandoned FO/Toslink just to start coming back to it. Im going to try and isolate my PC first to see if its a issue with PSU. All my equipment is on the same wall socket- and its a older home. I think the 50s and i know its some old wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page