Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation Carmody classix II?

Hi,
new to the forum, and wanted to ask for opinion.
After reading good comments about classix ii, I want to build one for my office.
At the moment, I enjoy a pair of Dali Lektor 1, and want to know how much an improvement would the classix ii bring. if any...
Thanks,
Hakan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It depends on what you consider an improvement is. What are you trying to accomplish? More information is needed...
post #3 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Just off of specs it looks like the dali's go down to 51hz and the classix II's go down to 35hz. To me thats a good thing. The classix also have higher sensitivity.

Problem is they are rear port so if you are up against a wall thats no good, would have to build front ported cabinets.

I still want to build some just to build something because Im so freaking bored in life. I think they would be a speaker you could use for the next couple decades. You get a challenge of building them which is good if you have the time. I may just pull the trigger and order some myself. Ive wanted them for a long time.

The way DIY works is you are going to end up with a speaker thats probably competes in the $500-$1000 range with the classix II's.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilkb View Post
Problem is they are rear port so if you are up against a wall thats no good, would have to build front ported cabinets.
You can absolutely do front ported. Just look at my profile pic! More info on the front ported version at Paul Carmody's site for the classix ii ... https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/classix-ii
post #5 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by bermek View Post
Hi,
new to the forum, and wanted to ask for opinion.
After reading good comments about classix ii, I want to build one for my office.
At the moment, I enjoy a pair of Dali Lektor 1, and want to know how much an improvement would the classix ii bring. if any...
Thanks,
Hakan
You might want to read the Listening Impressions at the website I linked in my previous post. Nothing like reading about impressions from the speaker designer himself. Maybe it will give you an idea if you want to build a pair for yourself.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-20-2019, 12:01 PM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 236
There's more DIY options in the 6-7" 2-way range now. I'd still like to hear people's thoughts on the Classix II vs something like the (slightly more expensive) Helix Dome MT.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-21-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
I still want to build some just to build something because Im so freaking bored in life.
Building speaker cabinets can also be a gateway to woodworking as a hobby in general. And building a speaker from a kit can be a gateway to more DIY audio projects as well. If you're looking for a hobby, just build the Classix and have fun with it! Don't worry about specs, just enjoy the process.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
Building speaker cabinets can also be a gateway to woodworking as a hobby in general. And building a speaker from a kit can be a gateway to more DIY audio projects as well. If you're looking for a hobby, just build the Classix and have fun with it! Don't worry about specs, just enjoy the process.
I already do wood working as a hobby. My dad has the shop so its a team effort. Cabinets would be cake, the crossover is where I would learn something new. The real problem with boredum is it costs ~$200 to be unbored lol.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #9 of 9 Old 07-22-2019, 08:34 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
I already do wood working as a hobby. My dad has the shop so its a team effort. Cabinets would be cake, the crossover is where I would learn something new. The real problem with boredum is it costs ~$200 to be unbored lol.

Just buy something like the parts express C-notes for $100. You can build your own cabs if you want (or use theirs) and you are still getting a great speaker for not a lot of money.

Even for OP I think the $100 C-notes would be an upgrade over his Dali's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page