Seeking DIY sub selection advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Seeking DIY sub selection advice

I'm in the planning stages for a home theater and would love to get opinions on how to support my theoretical space with a couple DIY subs. My main questions are:

Sealed or ported (based on my space and specs below)
15" or (gasp) 18" drivers? (again, based on specs since I know the default is "more 18s!!"

Dedicated, sealed theater
Approx. <2000 cu. ft (likely 15x18x7)
AT screen and false wall, hoping to minimize depth (i.e. 12-18" ideally; open to a custom box like Cyklops; size is limited by space behind false wall/AT screen)
100% movies, no music unless it's in a movie
Planning for DIYSG LCRs (i.e. HT10's) and 7.2.4 system
Sub Budget - flexible, but not unlimited. At most I'm thinking 2x UM18s and iNuke3000DSP, but look for bang for the buck
Room will be soundproofed and will need to avoid bothering the rest of the house (DD/GG, hat channels...)
Concrete floor, possibly using a sand-filled stage

Happy to try to answer other questions to help steer the recommendations, but my subwoofer vocabulary is limited. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sundodger; 07-19-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Considering your space is not all that large 2 good 15 inch sub woofers will do the trick. DIYSG has these guys on sale - https://www.diysoundgroup.com/buyout-15-sub.html

It would not be too hard to design something for a 15 that fits behind an AT screen, at the price you could probably afford 4

Edit: A pair of custom VBSS with a PA460s is another good option.

Stormbreaker (For Sale) | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen

Last edited by Red Five; 07-19-2019 at 11:17 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Seems reasonable, but I keep reading about how at the size of room I should maybe focus on sealed subs since with room gain I could get sufficient power at lower frequencies. If I'm focused on movies and have the space (creating a custom box with limited depth) would it be silly to avoid ported? Seems like I could get away with spending quite a bit less on driver and amp...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

I should probably also note that the construction of a custom of AIY box doesn't worry me, but with my limited knowledge and time I don't know how much I'd invest in the equalization process. Happy to try, but hoping to get my cake and eat it too.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-19-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundodger View Post
Seems reasonable, but I keep reading about how at the size of room I should maybe focus on sealed subs since with room gain I could get sufficient power at lower frequencies. If I'm focused on movies and have the space (creating a custom box with limited depth) would it be silly to avoid ported? Seems like I could get away with spending quite a bit less on driver and amp...

I see the sealed room I guess it depends on how much extension you want and do not forget for each octave you go down, you need four times the displacement to maintain the same pressure level. A cone moving four times further or four cones moving the same distance. Single digits gets expensive, but chasing into the mid teens with ported cabs keeps the cost in check. The JBL 12s might be on sale still. If you get enough of them they can dig pretty deep at $30 a pop they are not too pricey.

Stormbreaker (For Sale) | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page