Italian Job Sub Build 6 21s - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 241Likes

post #151 of 179 Old 09-11-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 709
I truly can’t believe I’m doing this either, I really hope it will sound okay lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 179 Old 09-11-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahuzz13 View Post
I truly can’t believe I’m doing this either, I really hope it will sound okay lmao

Just make sure your homeowners insurance covers "earthquakes"

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #153 of 179 Old 09-11-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 587
I think you passed "sounding OK" a long time ago. With the QSCs, those massive subs, and clone power in the mix... You're sure to have incredible results. Especially with some room treatment and REW tweaks. And if you do end up with a processor that has Dirac, you'll likely surpass that.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 179 Old 09-11-2019, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 99

They make the QSC's look like a pair of bookshelf speakers!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
OJ Bartley and Matt2026 like this.
post #155 of 179 Old 09-11-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
So hooking up the last 2 subs just to test them before I put the 4 of them in place and one of them wasn’t working but I felt some vibration from it but not like the other one. I was like no it couldn’t be that the wires aren’t hooked up to the driver, it can’t be I feel something coming from it. I tried everything trying to figure it out so I finally decided to pull the screws out and lift the driver.........

Rookie mistake, just came downstairs after work dropped the speaker in, screwed down and nothing, need to slow down a bit.

Its sometimes amazing how much subs will 'intercept' sound waves. I've seen this before where you could swear a sub is working because it is being driven by other soundwaves in the enclosure or room.

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Volt-10 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS on the Way
DIY 110" AT Screen
post #156 of 179 Old 09-11-2019, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
Its sometimes amazing how much subs will 'intercept' sound waves. I've seen this before where you could swear a sub is working because it is being driven by other soundwaves in the enclosure or room.

That’s exactly what I was feeling it was very strange but awesome at the same time.

post #157 of 179 Old 09-12-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Just make sure your homeowners insurance covers "earthquakes"
I'm sure they're covered under the broader topic of seismic events.
post #158 of 179 Old 09-16-2019, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 573
So how are they overall? Everything you expected you'd get after not having them to now. After seeing and experiencing other rooms, you fell down the rabbit hole..

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #159 of 179 Old 09-16-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Italian Job Sub Build 6 21s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
So how are they overall? Everything you expected you'd get after not having them to now. After seeing and experiencing other rooms, you fell down the rabbit hole..

I think they are going to be more than what I expected, the reason I say that I have had 2 hooked up at a time to test them. I have borrowed an inuke 6000 from a fellow avers and it can’t push they drivers enough to see their full potential but what it does show is they sound amazing with what I have. I do not have a dedicated room so I was worried it wouldn’t pressurize the room well I was wrong with only 2 going at the tactical feel from the floor and stage is impressive.

As for going down the rabbit hole, that all started when I met Mike @eng-399 for the first time at his GTG in Chicago (yes I flew there from Toronto). All I said is I want this, so we both decided the UM18s were the choice for the money. Then I went to the Michigan GTG, then it was all over for me, sell the UMs and get 21s, it was meant to Jeremy @hd0823 texted me the LaVoce’s are on sale and there I went deep into the hole, not money, I actually came out on top.

So long story could of been answers like this super happy and don’t regret going down the rabbit hole lol

Mike Butny, sirjaymz, femi and 1 others like this.
post #160 of 179 Old 09-16-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
I think they are going to be more than what I expected, the reason I say that I have had 2 hooked up at a time to test them. I have borrowed an inuke 6000 from a fellow avers and it can’t push they drivers enough to see their full potential but what it does show is they sound amazing with what I have. I do not have a dedicated room so I was worried it wouldn’t pressurize the room well I was wrong with only 2 going at the tactical feel from the floor and stage is impressive.

As for going down the rabbit hole, that all started when I met Mike @eng-399 for the first time at his GTG in Chicago (yes I flew there from Toronto). All I said is I want this, so we both decided the UM18s were the choice for the money. Then I went to the Michigan GTG, then it was all over for me, sell the UMs and get 21s, it was meant to Jeremy @hd0823 texted me the LaVoce’s are on sale and there I went deep into the hole, not money, I actually came out on top.

So long story could of been answers like this super happy and don’t regret going down the rabbit hole lol

Glad to hear you are enjoying them.. If the iNuke is not pushing them, you can always go with a couple of clones.. There's actually a couple in the audio classifieds today, that would definitely push them.

You'd need to install 30amp circuits .. etc.. but , that's allot of effort..

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #161 of 179 Old 09-16-2019, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Glad to hear you are enjoying them.. If the iNuke is not pushing them, you can always go with a couple of clones.. There's actually a couple in the audio classifieds today, that would definitely push them.

You'd need to install 30amp circuits .. etc.. but , that's allot of effort..

Yes the clones are on sale right now so I will be going with 2 FP20k but thanks for the link
As for the electrical all bought and installing this week, thanks for the reference for what I needed just confirms what I bought was the right stuff.

post #162 of 179 Old 09-16-2019, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Yes the clones are on sale right now

You don't say .......link?

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
post #163 of 179 Old 09-16-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falonious View Post
You don't say .......link?

I don’t have a link but I speak to Dan (which is a girl) through WhatApp, If you need her number pm me.

Here is the current sale for September, add PayPal fees and shipping which isn’t bad at all

Here is the quote she gave me

If via PayPal, here is the price list:
2 FP20000q: 718 USD x2=1436 USD
FedEx shipping cost: 202 USD, arriving at 5-7 days.
PayPal fee (4%): 65 USD
Total: 1703 USD

OJ Bartley likes this.
post #164 of 179 Old 09-16-2019, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here is what’re I am at one sub done except for the port cut out in the front.

Had a little challenge with this box, I forgot the front baffle was inset so all my bracing was cut flush to the height of the side walls, installed 4 and realized of the screw up, I thought no biggie but then I realized the port also came to the front edge, that was a little more of a challenge to fix but it’s done on the next day me I will not make that mistake again.

This is where I had to cut it back 3/4” so the front baffle will be flush

OJ Bartley and Matt2026 like this.
post #165 of 179 Old 09-17-2019, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The second one went way smoother and completes it which is really awesome, tomorrow take off clamps sand the second box and paint. Booth boxes have the ports cut out which was really easy with a flush trim bit which I’ve never used before.

Funny story as I was putting together tonight my wife came outside and saw the size of these ones and asked “why are these ones so big?” I said they are the have to be so tall because they are skinner and the other ones were deeper.....she walks off not saying a word with the dog. I smiled and kept building.

post #166 of 179 Old 09-17-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked: 5022
Looks great Duane! Almost completely done

For anyone wondering about the port and why it isn’t from side to side it’s because of the 1st port resonance and air port velocity Having to meet a certain criteria when designing these boxes.
Mike Butny, Jk7.2 and Mahuzz13 like this.
post #167 of 179 Old 09-17-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post

For anyone wondering about the port and why it isn’t from side to side it’s because of the 1st port resonance and air port velocity Having to meet a certain criteria when designing these boxes.

Thanks Mike, the finish line is getting closer but far from done.

Mike Butny likes this.
post #168 of 179 Old 09-17-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post

I figured you just didn’t want to make it easy on him

eng-399 and Mahuzz13 like this.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #169 of 179 Old 09-18-2019, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Funny story as I was putting together tonight my wife came outside and saw the size of these ones and asked “why are these ones so big?” I said they are the have to be so tall because they are skinner and the other ones were deeper.....she walks off not saying a word with the dog. I smiled and kept building.
They aren't big, your truck must be small.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #170 of 179 Old 09-19-2019, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here a before and not so good after picture of the subs painted, it gets dark way to fast now. Not really worried if it’s not the greatest paint job because it’s going behind a fabric panel.

post #171 of 179 Old 09-20-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Lol, the paint ALMOST makes them look a bit smaller.

Mahuzz13 likes this.
post #172 of 179 Old 09-20-2019, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post
Lol, the paint ALMOST makes them look a bit smaller.

You would say that lol

post #173 of 179 Old 09-20-2019, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I have had mixed information about insulating my boxes, some guys don’t and some guys do, so I contacted fellow avers Peter aka @corradizo (very smart guy) knows way more about this stuff than me, as I said to him “I can build this stuff but don’t understand all the technical stuff that goes with it.”
He gave me 2 sites to go to, one to plug your box information into and it will give you your problem frequencies you will have and where they are in your box, it is call boxnotes https://www.subwoofer-builder.com/freesoft.htm and the other is bobgolds co-efficiencies https://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm.

Because I have a Mac and boxnotes needs a windows base I couldn’t it so I contacted Peter again and he was very happy to walk through it over the phone and he showed me where my problem areas were. So what I am doing is putting 12” of fluffy insulation (yes denim would be better but I have fluffy so why spend the money) in the bottom of each sub to stop the the problem inside my boxes that I could potentially cause sound issues. Makes sense, sure, something is better than nothing, so a big THANKS to Peter in taking the time to help me out.

Front boxes

Rear boxes

I will probably cover the insulation with fabric to prevent fibres from floating out of the port or all over inside the box.

corradizo likes this.
post #174 of 179 Old 09-22-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got the rears done and in place and was that a challenge, word of advice when dealing with big boxes give lots of room all around the box so it easily fits in, I didn’t do that and I paid for it. I built my front fabric frame in front of where I am putting the subs and it sticks out about an 1 1/2” which didn’t allow me to slide it in so out came the sawsall to cut out the 2x4 and some drywall that was preventing it to go in and same happens on the other side. After I got them set in place and driver screwed down hooked them up and they sound amazing.

But before I actually hooked them up I sent a message to Mike:

It was the first time I thought my family is either going to love it or hate it I’m hoping the first one.

I would like to thanks Mike, Jeremy, Jared, Lars and Pete for everything they have done to help me through this, answering all my questions without hesitation, going out of there way to take my calls and reading all my texts.

I will be ordering the clone amps, a minidsp 2x4hd and a mic this week. Once I get them all hooked up I will update the thread with how it sounds and feels in the room. I will be leaning on a few of you for some direction on how to set everything up.

Thanks for everyone that has followed along and put there 2 cents in I really appreciated it.

post #175 of 179 Old 09-22-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:
Got the rears done and in place and was that a challenge, word of advice when dealing with big boxes give lots of room all around the box so it easily fits in, I didn’t do that and I paid for it. I built my front fabric frame in front of where I am putting the subs and it sticks out about an 1 1/2” which didn’t allow me to slide it in so out came the sawsall to cut out the 2x4 and some drywall that was preventing it to go in and same happens on the other side. After I got them set in place and driver screwed down hooked them up and they sound amazing.

But before I actually hooked them up I sent a message to Mike:

It was the first time I thought my family is either going to love it or hate it I’m hoping the first one.

I would like to thanks Mike, Jeremy, Jared, Lars and Pete for everything they have done to help me through this, answering all my questions without hesitation, going out of there way to take my calls and reading all my texts.

I will be ordering the clone amps, a minidsp 2x4hd and a mic this week. Once I get them all hooked up I will update the thread with how it sounds and feels in the room. I will be leaning on a few of you for some direction on how to set everything up.

Thanks for everyone that has followed along and put there 2 cents in I really appreciated it.

Looks great man cant wait till you get the clones. Your doing it right the first time. You wont have any upgraditis like me,Jared and mike lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
eng-399, Matt2026 and Mahuzz13 like this.

Last edited by hd0823; 09-22-2019 at 06:08 PM.
post #176 of 179 Old 09-22-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Jeremy, feels good to be done those big cabinets and hopefully never have to move them again. I have to thank all three of you Mike, Jared and yourself to move me from the UM18S to these 21s so I will not have the upgraditis

Jk7.2 likes this.
post #177 of 179 Old 09-22-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Just waiting for the next thread to pop up in the next few months titled “Upgrading from 6 21”s to 8 24”s.

Just kidding.

Enjoy!
OJ Bartley and Mahuzz13 like this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #178 of 179 Old 09-22-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 552 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked: 5022
Love the pictures Of them in your room! The first time I looked at my boxes I was like omg what did I get myself into but after a while it blends right in. Well maybe after like a year of looking at them lol... there huge!
Seriously though once the screens up and the lights are off it’s going to bring a smile to your face. Don’t get to worried once these drivers move for the first time your seriously going to think your ceiling will come on you I did it made me jump out of my seat. Only thing left now is a clone amp and you in business.

Glad this all worked out!!
post #179 of 179 Old 09-23-2019, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Mike for the reassurance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs