post #1 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 186
TM vs MTM for 2-channel

I've read a bit about this but wanted to hear from folks who've built some of the DIY MTM's.

Simple question...does the MTM configuration work ok for a 2-channel setup or would I notice the "narrowness" when not in my ideal sitting position? They won't be nearfield...they will be about 8'-10' away and 6'-8' apart. I don't want to get myself into a "sweet spot" only type of deal.

Only reason why I'm debating an MTM configuration is due to the extra low-end they provide. But in reality, I'd probably be fine with a TM as I'm not going to listen at high levels. I also really want to build an MTM though for one reason or another...maybe I should just pick a cheap one like the OS or S2000 (to get it out of my system, lol).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
I had a similar question wrt 2.0
given the performance of my F15's at a recent GTG

so I asked @mtg90 about the HTM12's and tuning lower, specifically with an eye on and an ear bent to being a 2.0 system.
his reply:

'If the HTM-12 was built as 18"w x 25"h x 18"d it will give an F3 in the upper 40's and in room should give decent extension and output down to the low 40's upper 30's. Ports for this modification do not need to be changed from the 3" stock length."

If your budget and DIY ability or other cab building resources are up for it,

you won't be "jonesing" about up-grade-itis.
go to the head of the class . .

the stereo image of those 15" SEOS horns IS going to put a smile on your face and in your ears-every time

you would of course do some REW and REQ , room treatment work . . .

HTH

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #3 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
I had a similar question wrt 2.0
given the performance of my F15's at a recent GTG

so I asked @mtg90 about the HTM12's and tuning lower, specifically with an eye on and an ear bent to being a 2.0 system.
his reply:

'If the HTM-12 was built as 18"w x 25"h x 18"d it will give an F3 in the upper 40's and in room should give decent extension and output down to the low 40's upper 30's. Ports for this modification do not need to be changed from the 3" stock length."

If your budget and DIY ability or other cab building resources are up for it,

you won't be "jonesing" about up-grade-itis.
go to the head of the class . .

the stereo image of those 15" SEOS horns IS going to put a smile on your face and in your ears-every time

you would of course do some REW and REQ , room treatment work . . .

HTH
Ha, I made the same mistake when reading OP the first time. MTM != HTM.

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Eosone RSF 600 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS - 2 @ VBSS End Tables
DIY 110" AT Screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
_tk
Advanced Member

Yeah, not the "HTM-X" speaker specifically. The configuration of the 2-way TM design vs. the 2-way MTM design.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
the F15's, 11' away

and about 6.5', +/- C2C for the horns depending on toe-in,
toe-in more for larger stereo sweep spot

for the record . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 x 15's.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2592590  

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #6 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
@_tk

The “narrowness” you describe from an MTM is usually only present when the MTM is horizontal and all the drivers are on the same plane. That’s when cancellation occurs when you go off axis.

I have MTM CMT340’s from ascend and I find their soundstage to be very wide with no “narrowness” compared to a standard TM speaker.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #7 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
_tk
Advanced Member

So then...why shouldn't I go MTM over MT in a 2-channel environment? There must be a reason why 90% of the bookshelfs made today are all MT configuration?
post #8 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
So then...why shouldn't I go MTM over MT in a 2-channel environment? There must be a reason why 90% of the bookshelfs made today are all MT configuration?

It’s cheaper...?

Smaller form factor is more attractive?

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #9 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
_tk
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
It’s cheaper...?
Sure, but not by too much. Not like it's double the price.

Quote:
Smaller form factor is more attractive?
Short squatty speakers were never attractive IMO. A slender MTM would look a lot better.

Although, I was specifically referring to sound and if the MTM's have some characteristic that makes designers stay away.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-19-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
MTM gives you more sensitivity, something like 3 db because of the extra driver, or in other words the MTM will take a half of watt of power to rock out and your TM will take 1 Watt. Amplifier power is cheap these days so I don't worry too much about sensitivity.

The bigger difference to me is that a TM sounds more natural because the midbass/midrange is all coming from 1 speaker instead of 2. Vocals coming from a line as in an MTM layout just doesn't sound as natural as coming from a single source because voices in real life come from 1 source.

There is also the lobing due to the driver spacing, basically there will be nulls at a certain vertical angle, you won't notice it on-axis but they will be ceiling reflections and they won't match the direct sound and therefore will make the sound not as clean.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
_tk
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
MTM gives you more sensitivity, something like 3 db because of the extra driver, or in other words the MTM will take a half of watt of power to rock out and your TM will take 1 Watt. Amplifier power is cheap these days so I don't worry too much about sensitivity.

The bigger difference to me is that a TM sounds more natural because the midbass/midrange is all coming from 1 speaker instead of 2. Vocals coming from a line as in an MTM layout just doesn't sound as natural as coming from a single source because voices in real life come from 1 source.

There is also the lobing due to the driver spacing, basically there will be nulls at a certain vertical angle, you won't notice it on-axis but they will be ceiling reflections and they won't match the direct sound and therefore will make the sound not as clean.

Thanks. That makes sense and would explain why MTM is more popular for home theater than it is for 2-channel.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-20-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Unless the 1/4 wave spacing is off or the listener is sitting 5 mm's away from the speaker, it should act as a point source with a good combination at the cross over. The MTM will add spl, but most OEM's use it to add additional range. The centers that use smaller speakers in a set, but they use 4 instead of 2, give them additional sensitivity down low to compete with the bigger towers.

MTM's are almost always going to be better, except if you are listening near field. They are also not always necessary, so people can still chose cheaper/smaller options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page