Help with sub amp - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-19-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help with sub amp

So I just picked up a RSS460HO-4 18" in approximately a 20 x 20 x 23 sealed enclosure.
Was looking at a Dayton SA1000, can get them on PE "refurbished" for $250, all out right now, had one of these driving an old Chase HT dual 18" box and it was plenty of pound for me a few houses ago that had a system to support it.
All kinds of EQ isn't a huge concern of mine right now, rest of the system in our new to us house is some 10 year old in wall Jamo powered by my not so top of the line Onkyo receiver. Sub will EASILY overpower everything else, I just hated the old HTIB ported fart box that I had and I want some of the lows I've been missing out on

When plans allow I'm going to build a more dedicated media room, but realistically it's probably 5 years down the road so buying a bigger 2 channel amp to support the future is not a concern, I hope to get new equipment then and maybe re-purpose this amp then for buttkickers or maybe for 2 subs then.

Just want a silent amp as I'm going to be a few feet away from the amp (not afraid of a fan mod, however I don't want to hear the thing, I don't have a cabinet to hide it in currently) and budget is definitely a factor right now. Any recommendations? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-19-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2fast View Post
So I just picked up a RSS460HO-4 18" in approximately a 20 x 20 x 23 sealed enclosure.
Was looking at a Dayton SA1000, can get them on PE "refurbished" for $250, all out right now, had one of these driving an old Chase HT dual 18" box and it was plenty of pound for me a few houses ago that had a system to support it.
All kinds of EQ isn't a huge concern of mine right now, rest of the system in our new to us house is some 10 year old in wall Jamo powered by my not so top of the line Onkyo receiver. Sub will EASILY overpower everything else, I just hated the old HTIB ported fart box that I had and I want some of the lows I've been missing out.

When plans allow I'm going to build a more dedicated media room, but realistically it's probably 5 years down the road so buying a bigger 2 channel amp to support the future is not a concern, I hope to get new equipment then and maybe re-purpose this amp then for buttkickers or maybe for 2 subs then.

Just want a silent amp as I'm going to be a few feet away from the amp (not afraid of a fan mod, however I don't want to hear the thing, I don't have a cabinet to hide it in currently) and budget is definitely a factor right now. Any recommendations? Thank you!
Probably not much help but I chose the Dayton sa1000. It’s about two feet behind my seating and I don’t really hear it. The only thing it does to my nearfield is makes a little popping sound when auto on is selected. This can be a little annoying. I’m using the ho390.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-19-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Crown or SpeakerPower

Automation: Alexa- Harmony Hub- Wemo Dimmer Switch- Wemo Smart Plug BatCave: SY Triple Black
Video Image: JVC RS500- Sony UBP-800X- Chromecast- 125" wide 16x9 white over black spandex screen
Audio: 5.2.4 Marantz SR7011- (LCR) Stage Right 15" PA- (Surrounds) (4) BIC FH6-LCR- (Atmos) (4) Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2-Inch- (Subs)2 23ishcuft ported HS24s 14-15Hz tune- 4 PA460 in ported cabs 40Hz tune- FP20000Q- 2 Sanway FP10000Q- Crown XLS1500- . To be continued...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Snip

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2fast
All kinds of EQ isn't a huge concern of mine right now
More snip

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2fast
Given your situation I see no reason to not go with the Dayton SA1000. Look into other amps 5 years down the road if you have the funds/time to invest in them. We all have to start somewhere and make concessions. That amp should be solid for what you're after right now.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #5 of 9 Old 07-19-2019, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I guess the other option on my list is the Crown XLS 1002. Everything I've been reading says they are pretty silent. They are brand new under $300. I don't know that the SA1000 has sufficient EQ so I'd have to look at a minidsp with it anyways. I have a sub sitting in my garage that will be painted within a week and be ready for use by next weekend, would like to fire that sucker up next weekend! Waiting for refurb amps to come back into stock may be too hard. Looks like from what I've been able to find that sa1000 probably only puts out 600ish watts, cannot find anything on the crown but it probably puts out more.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-19-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Thanks. I guess the other option on my list is the Crown XLS 1002. Everything I've been reading says they are pretty silent. They are brand new under $300. I don't know that the SA1000 has sufficient EQ so I'd have to look at a minidsp with it anyways. I have a sub sitting in my garage that will be painted within a week and be ready for use by next weekend, would like to fire that sucker up next weekend! Waiting for refurb amps to come back into stock may be too hard. Looks like from what I've been able to find that sa1000 probably only puts out 600ish watts, cannot find anything on the crown but it probably puts out more.
Your original post claimed you didn't need "all kinds of EQ", now you're talking about a miniDSP?

Perhaps you should clarify what it is exactly that you are looking for in an amp, as your first and last posts contradict each other. The SA1000 will be inaudible, which seemed to be you original concern.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #7 of 9 Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Your original post claimed you didn't need "all kinds of EQ", now you're talking about a miniDSP?

Perhaps you should clarify what it is exactly that you are looking for in an amp, as your first and last posts contradict each other. The SA1000 will be inaudible, which seemed to be you original concern.
As I have read more for the last few hours it seems as if the feedback on the Crown XLS are pretty much silent and fan modded Behringer amps are still way louder than the Crowns.

I can start planning for the future with the miniDSP? I figured a few months into it I'd be looking for more and curious how I could inevitably get more down low. I had played with REW in the past and have a mic so as soon as our WI weather turns to crap in a few months I'll be spending more time indoors again and I'll be looking for something fun to play with. My current basement room also doesn't have a door and is open to the rest of the house!

But yes, not hearing an amp is probably my #1 concern and then you find out that you can probably get a lot more bang for the same price with a Crown and probably not hear the fans? Seems like it's worth a better look? No?

Appreciate the input!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-20-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
As I have read more for the last few hours it seems as if the feedback on the Crown XLS are pretty much silent and fan modded Behringer amps are still way louder than the Crowns.

I've owned a few Crown amps; yes, they are silent. The notion that modded Inukes are "way" louder is exaggerated.

With the funds that you may be planning on using for the purchase of a minidsp, you could instead pick up a small media type cabinet w/door and use it to house your Inuke amp/s.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-20-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 1233
Quote:

The crown XLS line is silent. I didn’t know the fan was on until I physically looked at it. At full speed it is still silent.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page