AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   DIY Speakers and Subs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/)
-   -   MicroWreaker or Devastator 21? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/3079906-microwreaker-devastator-21-a.html)

Kothoga 07-21-2019 01:48 PM

MicroWreaker or Devastator 21?

Looking to build a horn sub to add to my La Scala IIs and I think I've narrowed it down to these two. The MicroWreaker is more along the lines of a true tapped horn where as the Devastator is more of a ported horn, one's a 15", the other a 21". The main use will be in a 2.1 music setting.

Input?
Comments?
Insults?

Thanks!

corradizo 07-21-2019 02:46 PM

I think the Devastator is a paralell 6th order bandpass.

Samps 07-21-2019 03:48 PM

For music only, look at the skhorn or skram if you want to go really loud. A simple ported box with a good 18 or 21 will be enough for normal people loud.

Kothoga 07-21-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samps (Post 58323826)
For music only, look at the skhorn or skram if you want to go really loud. A simple ported box with a good 18 or 21 will be enough for normal people loud.

Do you know this from experience?

Already paired quad 18"s with them and found there is no way to make a direct radiating subwoofer integrate with an all horn system.

superkyle 07-21-2019 04:00 PM

Not sure if this helps but I went seeking something very similar. I ended up deciding on 2 beast mode versions of the devastator. It seems to have an excellent balance between the benefits of the horn and low end output for home theater and music.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kothoga 07-21-2019 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superkyle (Post 58323878)
Not sure if this helps but I went seeking something very similar. I ended up deciding on 2 beast mode versions of the devastator. It seems to have an excellent balance between the benefits of the horn and low end output for home theater and music.

What exactly is the beast mode version of the Devastator? Dual B&C 21" ipals?

superkyle 07-21-2019 04:07 PM

B.M.D. - Beast Mode Devastator
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

Samps 07-21-2019 04:20 PM

Sealed or ported would be the easiest to integrate. Just need a mic, REW and some time.

Taped horns would be the hardest due to their top end getting a little wild.

I’d give those quad 18s another try with a little more time spent on setup.

notfastenough 07-21-2019 07:10 PM

Howdy neighbor!

Along the lines of what @Samps is saying, if 4 18s aren't integrating then something is amiss. Not claiming to speak for him, but I'd wager the intention is to say that whatever is lacking with the 18s setup possibly won't be fixed with a sub alignment change.

Have you done any measurements? Also what kind of space are you working with? Open space, closed, rough cubic feet? Also, what frequency are you wanting to set the HPF to the La Scalas?

Red Five 07-22-2019 01:35 PM

What frequency range are you targeting?

Kothoga 07-22-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samps (Post 58323936)
Sealed or ported would be the easiest to integrate. Just need a mic, REW and some time.

Taped horns would be the hardest due to their top end getting a little wild.

I’d give those quad 18s another try with a little more time spent on setup.

You're right, I didn't try too hard with the dual V3611s as they are setup perfectly for theater. They are staying put there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by notfastenough (Post 58324334)
Howdy neighbor!

Along the lines of what @Samps is saying, if 4 18s aren't integrating then something is amiss. Not claiming to speak for him, but I'd wager the intention is to say that whatever is lacking with the 18s setup possibly won't be fixed with a sub alignment change.

Have you done any measurements? Also what kind of space are you working with? Open space, closed, rough cubic feet? Also, what frequency are you wanting to set the HPF to the La Scalas?

The Colony huh? What's in your avatar? I cruise a C7Z, ordered a C8, thinking of swapping the Z for a ZR1.

See above, I didn't feel like removing the dual PSAs from the HT so I'm looking for options for the dedicated 2 channel system. Been reading every sub thread on the Klipsch forums and everyone eventually moves to a folded horn design to match the Scalas and jokes about the time and money spent on trying countless DR subs. Their favorite is the good old BF THT. Working with a 5,550 cubic foot room. I considered a sealed PSA S3611, hell, even a silly overpriced SB16, but then found this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ld-thread.html It got me thinking I should just skip to a horn and be done. Price doesn't matter much so when I tripped across the Devastator I got the idea of tossing a B&C 21iPal. I'd love to do a Skhorn but like the idea of a flat pack as my time is extremely limited and valuable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Five (Post 58327476)
What frequency range are you targeting?

The La Scalas really lack any true chest slam. The system sees anything from the wife's Wynton Marsalis to my TOOL and APC, the kid's Marshmello to the Fallout 4 soundtrack. Not looking for single digits but something to fill the void for the Scalas.

Red Five 07-22-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kothoga (Post 58327748)
You're right, I didn't try too hard with the dual V3611s as they are setup perfectly for theater. They are staying put there.

The Colony huh? What's in your avatar? I cruise a C7Z, ordered a C8, thinking of swapping the Z for a ZR1.

See above, I didn't feel like removing the dual PSAs from the HT so I'm looking for options for the dedicated 2 channel system. Been reading every sub thread on the Klipsch forums and everyone eventually moves to a folded horn design to match the Scalas and jokes about the time and money spent on trying countless DR subs. Their favorite is the good old BF THT. Working with a 5,550 cubic foot room. I considered a sealed PSA S3611, hell, even a silly overpriced SB16, but then found this thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ld-thread.html It got me thinking I should just skip to a horn and be done. Price doesn't matter much so when I tripped across the Devastator I got the idea of tossing a B&C 21iPal. I'd love to do a Skhorn but like the idea of a flat pack as my time is extremely limited and valuable.

The La Scalas really lack any true chest slam. The system sees anything from the wife's Wynton Marsalis to my TOOL and APC, the kid's Marshmello to the Fallout 4 soundtrack. Not looking for single digits but something to fill the void for the Scalas.

Mixed duty a Devastator will fill that void well without any resonance in the passband. Two of them will offer good extension and all sorts of chest slam :)
Edit: I have one 21DS115 in about 6000ft³ vented and it is still fun in that space. The iPal21 has a higher resonant frequency, if I remember it is 37Hz, so the response might look a bit different. Amps stable into 1Ohm is the other challenge, but it sounds like you can afford a Speaker Power SP1-6000.

notfastenough 07-22-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kothoga (Post 58327748)

Avatar is a La Ferrari Aperta. Not mine, but I've driven and worked on them. C7 ZR1 is super cool, tons of torque and can be fairly reasonable to cruise around in. Great way to hang with the supercars! The C8 looks like it'll be awesome, like a modern De Tomaso Pantera.

If you're interested in hearing a pair of THTs, shoot me a PM. I don't have Klipsch mains, but it'll give you an idea for the low frequencies.

drewp29 07-23-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notfastenough (Post 58329098)

I believe that is the 458th time someone thought your avatar was a 'vette. Lol, both are cool cars though, the Ferrari and Corvette.

notfastenough 07-23-2019 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewp29 (Post 58331752)
I believe that is the 458th time someone thought your avatar was a 'vette. Lol, both are cool cars though, the Ferrari and Corvette.

I see what you did there ;)

This is the same car at the dealer car show.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1563913631

Kothoga 07-25-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewp29 (Post 58331752)

Never said it was a Vette, it obviously isn't.