Newbie thinking about making a sub - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2
  • 2 Post By lawdogx
  • 1 Post By Aceman2101
  • 1 Post By buggers
  • 1 Post By Vergiliusm
  • 1 Post By scottvalentin
  • 1 Post By scottvalentin

post #1 of 17 Old 07-23-2019, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Newbie thinking about making a sub

Hey everyone, I’ve been looking online at parts express and it got me thinking of making a sub. I was looking at the Dayton woofers and boxes. My sub would be for movies and from what I remember, ported are better for movies. Does Dayton make a ported box for their woofers or just sealed ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-23-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Which drivers are you looking at?

I don't think PE sells ported flat packs anymore (but I haven't been looking for them, either). There is https://shop.gsgad.com/

Depending on your room/requirements for bass sealed may work just fine for you.
Aceman2101 likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #3 of 17 Old 07-23-2019, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Which drivers are you looking at?

I don't think PE sells ported flat packs anymore (but I haven't been looking for them, either). There is https://shop.gsgad.com/

Depending on your room/requirements for bass sealed may work just fine for you.

I was looking at this one

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...xoCUhYQAvD_BwE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-23-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, not aware of anyone making ported flat packs for 12". There's a build thread in my sig for the UM12 though, might give you some ideas?

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

post #5 of 17 Old 07-23-2019, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Tell us a little about your room and your system and we can better steer you in the right direction. Ported boxes and Dayton drivers are great for movies, but you might be better served with a bigger driver ... or two. For precut, GSG is the bomb. If you’re in Southern California they’re a no brainer, and offer great support. For just a little more more effort you can build the box yourself, check out the Marty Subwoofer thread and the VBSS thread. All the measurements, drivers, amps, and amp settings are laid out in easy to follow steps.
smcmillan2 and Aceman2101 like this.

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's (and always building, currently working on VBSS's).
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 2 x NX6000d.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-23-2019, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
Tell us a little about your room and your system and we can better steer you in the right direction. Ported boxes and Dayton drivers are great for movies, but you might be better served with a bigger driver ... or two. For precut, GSG is the bomb. If you’re in Southern California they’re a no brainer, and offer great support. For just a little more more effort you can build the box yourself, check out the Marty Subwoofer thread and the VBSS thread. All the measurements, drivers, amps, and amp settings are laid out in easy to follow steps.

My room is a living room/dinning room, I sit about 7ft from the tv. I have a pioneer elite receiver, although I plan on upgrading to a 4K one day. I have a klipsch RC25 center channel and some technics speaker. I also live in Canada and sometimes it’s hard to get things up here.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-23-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dimensions of rooms? And those they open into?
Listening preferences? (low, medium, high, 11+)
How much bass are you looking for?
What sub (if any) do you have now?

Many times sealed can be just as good for movies. The UM12 doesn't measure well in sealed though from what I remember, you would want bigger (especially if trying to fill a large space).

Quote:
I also live in Canada and sometimes it’s hard to get things up here.
This alone may be the best reason to look into building the boxes yourself. Or see if a local cabinet maker/car audio person can put them together for you.

You'll need an amp as well, with DSP. Or a miniDSP. So that begs another question: What's your budget?

post #8 of 17 Old 07-24-2019, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Just to get started?

UM18’s in sealed boxes with inukes. Sealed alignments make it very hard to destroy, they will give you lots of enjoyment still and if you want the extra kick from ported you can always make different boxes.

BTW have you checked to see if you have a cabinet maker near by? If you give them the dimensions they’ll make just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 17 Old 07-24-2019, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimlock View Post
Just to get started?

UM18’s in sealed boxes with inukes. Sealed alignments make it very hard to destroy, they will give you lots of enjoyment still and if you want the extra kick from ported you can always make different boxes.

BTW have you checked to see if you have a cabinet maker near by? If you give them the dimensions they’ll make just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I haven’t checked yet, I’m going to start looking around and see what I can find.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-24-2019, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Dimensions of rooms? And those they open into?

Listening preferences? (low, medium, high, 11+)

How much bass are you looking for?

What sub (if any) do you have now?

Many times sealed can be just as good for movies. The UM12 doesn't measure well in sealed though from what I remember, you would want bigger (especially if trying to fill a large space).

This alone may be the best reason to look into building the boxes yourself. Or see if a local cabinet maker/car audio person can put them together for you.

You'll need an amp as well, with DSP. Or a miniDSP. So that begs another question: What's your budget?

I couldn’t tell you the dimensions, I’ve never actually measured. If I had to guess it’s about 12’ wide by 20’ feet.

I don’t have any subs and I’d say when I’m alone I like to watch movies at high volume. I’m going to look around and see if I can find a cabinet make and yes I’ll need a amp. Not sure of a budget yet. I’m just looking to get my feet wet at the moment.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-24-2019, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The amount of cash we have to spend is vital information...what are the exact measurements of the size of the box that you can deal with?
post #12 of 17 Old 07-24-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Say budget around 500 and for the size something around the klipsch subs or the Dayton boxes
mevansmusic likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 07-25-2019, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What I mean is W x H x D
mevansmusic likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-25-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 455
If you want to keep it simple with a smaller footprint, get the 12" sealed kit and an NX3000dsp. That'll give you the extra channel for the 2nd one you will inevitably want/need to build down the road. Of course, 18's would be preferable at the expense of larger boxes and higher cost, but the 12 inchers are no slouches.

My room is a hair smaller than yours and because of GAF, I'm running 2 sealed 12's and an 8. With strategic placement for some help from the room and a little EQ from the amp to shape the low end response, you'll have a quite capable system without a lot of expense.

It's a lot of fun, but can be addictive.
Aceman2101 likes this.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #15 of 17 Old 07-25-2019, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman2101 View Post
My room is a living room/dinning room, I sit about 7ft from the tv. I have a pioneer elite receiver, although I plan on upgrading to a 4K one day. I have a klipsch RC25 center channel and some technics speaker. I also live in Canada and sometimes it’s hard to get things up here.
If you live anywhere close to the border you can usually find a post office or even gas station that acts as a UPS or USPS drop point and ship to there and then pick things up and bring across the border where you just have to pay your tax on the items. I've ordered many things from PE and been able to pay 0 for shipping because my folks live just across the border from a location that offers the shipment service. I think they charge a $5.00 fee per box or something.
Aceman2101 likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-25-2019, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvalentin View Post
If you live anywhere close to the border you can usually find a post office or even gas station that acts as a UPS or USPS drop point and ship to there and then pick things up and bring across the border where you just have to pay your tax on the items. I've ordered many things from PE and been able to pay 0 for shipping because my folks live just across the border from a location that offers the shipment service. I think they charge a $5.00 fee per box or something.

I live about 3 hours from the border, so that’s probably a little too far. But there is a service called crossborder pick up that I could try. I was also thinking to ship it to someone I know in the us and have them ship it to me.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-25-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman2101 View Post
I live about 3 hours from the border, so that’s probably a little too far. But there is a service called crossborder pick up that I could try. I was also thinking to ship it to someone I know in the us and have them ship it to me.
The crossborder service probably makes more sense and wouldn't be more than the cost for your friend to ship to you - commercial shippers generally get better rates from the delivery companies. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
Aceman2101 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page