AVS Forum banner

Newbie thinking about making a sub

514 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  scottvalentin 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I’ve been looking online at parts express and it got me thinking of making a sub. I was looking at the Dayton woofers and boxes. My sub would be for movies and from what I remember, ported are better for movies. Does Dayton make a ported box for their woofers or just sealed ?

#2 ·
Which drivers are you looking at?

I don't think PE sells ported flat packs anymore (but I haven't been looking for them, either). There is https://shop.gsgad.com/

Depending on your room/requirements for bass sealed may work just fine for you.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Yeah, not aware of anyone making ported flat packs for 12". There's a build thread in my sig for the UM12 though, might give you some ideas?

#5 ·
Tell us a little about your room and your system and we can better steer you in the right direction. Ported boxes and Dayton drivers are great for movies, but you might be better served with a bigger driver ... or two. For precut, GSG is the bomb. If you’re in Southern California they’re a no brainer, and offer great support. For just a little more more effort you can build the box yourself, check out the Marty Subwoofer thread and the VBSS thread. All the measurements, drivers, amps, and amp settings are laid out in easy to follow steps.

#6 ·
My room is a living room/dinning room, I sit about 7ft from the tv. I have a pioneer elite receiver, although I plan on upgrading to a 4K one day. I have a klipsch RC25 center channel and some technics speaker. I also live in Canada and sometimes it’s hard to get things up here.

#7 ·
Dimensions of rooms? And those they open into?
Listening preferences? (low, medium, high, 11+)
How much bass are you looking for?
What sub (if any) do you have now?

Many times sealed can be just as good for movies. The UM12 doesn't measure well in sealed though from what I remember, you would want bigger (especially if trying to fill a large space).

I also live in Canada and sometimes it’s hard to get things up here.
This alone may be the best reason to look into building the boxes yourself. Or see if a local cabinet maker/car audio person can put them together for you.

You'll need an amp as well, with DSP. Or a miniDSP. So that begs another question: What's your budget?

#10 ·
Dimensions of rooms? And those they open into?

Listening preferences? (low, medium, high, 11+)

How much bass are you looking for?

What sub (if any) do you have now?

Many times sealed can be just as good for movies. The UM12 doesn't measure well in sealed though from what I remember, you would want bigger (especially if trying to fill a large space).

This alone may be the best reason to look into building the boxes yourself. Or see if a local cabinet maker/car audio person can put them together for you.

You'll need an amp as well, with DSP. Or a miniDSP. So that begs another question: What's your budget?

I couldn’t tell you the dimensions, I’ve never actually measured. If I had to guess it’s about 12’ wide by 20’ feet.

I don’t have any subs and I’d say when I’m alone I like to watch movies at high volume. I’m going to look around and see if I can find a cabinet make and yes I’ll need a amp. Not sure of a budget yet. I’m just looking to get my feet wet at the moment.

#8 ·
Just to get started?

UM18’s in sealed boxes with inukes. Sealed alignments make it very hard to destroy, they will give you lots of enjoyment still and if you want the extra kick from ported you can always make different boxes.

BTW have you checked to see if you have a cabinet maker near by? If you give them the dimensions they’ll make just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
If you want to keep it simple with a smaller footprint, get the 12" sealed kit and an NX3000dsp. That'll give you the extra channel for the 2nd one you will inevitably want/need to build down the road. Of course, 18's would be preferable at the expense of larger boxes and higher cost, but the 12 inchers are no slouches.

My room is a hair smaller than yours and because of GAF, I'm running 2 sealed 12's and an 8. With strategic placement for some help from the room and a little EQ from the amp to shape the low end response, you'll have a quite capable system without a lot of expense.

It's a lot of fun, but can be addictive. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.