Dayton Reference HO - Sealed vs Ported - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tjcinnamon

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Dayton Reference HO - Sealed vs Ported

I've read that the Dayton Reference HO performs "better" in a ported box vs sealed box whereas the HF is better in sealed.

Is that true? What does "better" mean? I know that ported is louder (by the nature of being ported) but wondering why the HF would be better in sealed and why the HO is better in ported?

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.4.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
DIY MBMs: VRK Build thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged)
Sub: 2x Rythmik LVX12 + MiniDSP
DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-25-2019, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Most likely because of damping, or strictly speaking the inverse of, as expressed by Qts. The HO is a more damped, lower Qts driver which tends to work best in ported enclosures, whereas the HF is a higher Qts, less damped driver. Higher Qts drivers also tend to have a lower Fs & F3 and require larger box sizes.

Keep in mind those are just generalizations and there's a lot of leeway depending on the application. For example, another Dayton driver, the Ultimax is a higher Qts driver than both of these and works fine in ported and sealed enclosures. In the case of these two drivers, they're pretty close.

You could model them in different configurations to get close to the response you want based on your needs. With speakers there are always compromises.

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #3 of 5 Old 07-25-2019, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
Most likely because of damping, or strictly speaking the inverse of, as expressed by Qts. The HO is a more damped, lower Qts driver which tends to work best in ported enclosures, whereas the HF is a higher Qts, less damped driver. Higher Qts drivers also tend to have a lower Fs & F3 and require larger box sizes.

Keep in mind those are just generalizations and there's a lot of leeway depending on the application. For example, another Dayton driver, the Ultimax is a higher Qts driver than both of these and works fine in ported and sealed enclosures. In the case of these two drivers, they're pretty close.

You could model them in different configurations to get close to the response you want based on your needs. With speakers there are always compromises.
What does "work best" mean? Is it basically SPL?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 476
The enclosure and the driver working as a system to get the desired response. It's not strictly about SPL, but that's a factor. Maybe in this subforum its more of a factor. There is no single perfect sub or speaker. Typically, if you focus on one factor, something else has to give to a certain degree. With DIY we can decide where to compromise.

It looks like you've got some nice subs and system. Is there something in particular you want to accomplish?

"Rock and roll is alive and alright" Sloan
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2019, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergiliusm View Post
The enclosure and the driver working as a system to get the desired response. It's not strictly about SPL, but that's a factor. Maybe in this subforum its more of a factor. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] There is no single perfect sub or speaker. Typically, if you focus on one factor, something else has to give to a certain degree. With DIY we can decide where to compromise.

It looks like you've got some nice subs and system. Is there something in particular you want to accomplish?
I’m replacing my MBM’s with these Dayton’s (Wired at 2Ohm) with my Crown XLS 2002 and moving the Magnum MBM’s nearfield directly behind my couch in a larger box 2 cuft box tuned to 35. I’ll turn them on for special occasions. I essentially have left over parts.
Vergiliusm likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page