Downgrade F8 MTM center channel :( - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked: 4080
Downgrade F8 MTM center channel :(

I might have to give up my newly upgraded Fusion8 MTM center channel. A projector is not a realistically viable option in my current house for a number of reasons. My low tier Vizio 4K TV of less than 2 years old bit the dust. So rather than buying another low or mid tier TV, I decided to go to the biggest set I can reasonably accommodate. This causes an issue as I have a large fireplace with built in bookshelves that I have no plans to demo any time soon. As a result, my TV is mounted very high on the wall above the mantel. A 75" display will be literally touching the ceiling and still might not be unobstructed by the 10" tall Fusion center channel. I love this center.....it is incredibly capable yet not overbearing for a living room, but I might downgrade to a lower profile center channel in order to accommodate the larger screen for an overall superior home theater experience.

For kicks, I ordered JBL's A135c center channel. It is the lowest profile center channel that isn't a complete piece of garbage although I have absolutely no doubt it is a huge downgrade from the Fusion 8. It is just barely 4" tall and uses 6 3" drivers, 90 dB sensitivity and plays down to 75 Hz. My thought is that it goes all the way to the extreme end of having a very very slim center channel that will still play down to a normal crossover and yet still have higher than average sensitivity. It will allow me to lower my display nearly 6" which is pretty substantial with how high I have to mount.

The other options I've looked at are the Fusion 4 Quad 4, so I put out a feeler in the classifieds hoping someone nearby might have one they are willing to part with. Klipsch, a company I despise for their deceptive advertising, also makes a couple of fairly low profile center channels that are, ignoring deceptive marketing claims, around 90 dB sensitive.

Anyone in the SW PA region have a Fusion 4 Quad 4 center channel that needs a home?

I love the newfound capability I have with my Fusion 8 center but at the end of the day, I think the larger display is going to give me more bang for the buck. Before I switch, I'll definitely see if I can wedge the 75" into place. Wife actually REALLY likes the F8 center channel and will be pissed if I changed it rofl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1083
saw your FS ad and now know why . .

FTR and you have to ask about the height thing . .
but for a quality NO B.S. CC might just work . . and fit

https://billfitzmaurice.info/SLA.html

http://billfitzmaurice.info/images/cabs/CA.jpg

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Quoted: 5456 Post(s)
Liked: 4951
Have you considered or already experimented with no center at all (phantom)? I find this superior to a downgraded center channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 47
A phantom center will most likely be way better in your situation
post #5 of 8 Old 08-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Is your Fusion 8 officially up for sale yet? I might be interested.... and I'm local.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-15-2019, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S King View Post
Is your Fusion 8 officially up for sale yet? I might be interested.... and I'm local.
Probably not. I definitely can't use it, but, between the cost involved in buying and building along with the labor, I don't think its worth it for me to sell it. Will probably just hang onto it in case I can use it in the future.

I'm not a woodworker and there aren't flatpacks available anymore so I spent $100 to have a cab built from 3/4" baltic birch ply with window braces, had the crossover assembled by Matt. So I've got well over $400 in this thing not including my time. It's a beast of a center without being overbearing for a living room. I hope to be able to put it to use again some day but, you never know. It doesn't do me any good sitting here lol.

I'll reach out if I change my mind. In the meantime, I'm hoping I can find someone with a Fusion 4 Quad 4 as it would fit perfect.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-17-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I absolutely love my fusion 8's. Best bang for the buck on God's green earth. Try the phantom center though, it worked well before I built the center.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not keen on the phantom center. Even with the little JBL A135C, the center channel really brings out vocals front and center. I reached out to Erich at DIYSG to see if the parts for the Fusion 4 Quad 4 are available somewhere for purchase if I don't find someone who has a kit laying around not in use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page