Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Blowing out the cobwebs

Hi all!

It's been awhile. I have been seriously enjoying my Adire kit-281s, JVC D-ILA projector, Tuba HT, oppo blu-ray and old-school Denon system for many years now. So long so, that I haven't had the urge to make any changes and have fallen seriously out of touch.

I could use some help giving advice to a friend.

He is constructing his basement and has some space left over in a built-in (stud and drywall) section of his room.

I thought it may be a great opportunity for a built in sub, sealed or ported - probably a 15".

He will be running a Denon 5805 as his receiver and has a pair of Adire KIT-281s as his front L & R.

Volume probably about 5 cubic feet.

I am looking for a recommendation for a 15" sub (12" possibly - if a 6 ohm DVC might run well off two channels of amp from the Denon) Otherwise, do you think a plate amp is best, and if so, which.

Total budget under $500 for sub and amp(if needed).

I super appreciate the help, and am eager to dig into the details once this thread stirs the speaker building files tucked way back in my aging brain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-12-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1491
Quote:
Originally Posted by malapane View Post
Hi all!

It's been awhile. I have been seriously enjoying my Adire kit-281s, JVC D-ILA projector, Tuba HT, oppo blu-ray and old-school Denon system for many years now. So long so, that I haven't had the urge to make any changes and have fallen seriously out of touch.

I could use some help giving advice to a friend.

He is constructing his basement and has some space left over in a built-in (stud and drywall) section of his room.

I thought it may be a great opportunity for a built in sub, sealed or ported - probably a 15".

He will be running a Denon 5805 as his receiver and has a pair of Adire KIT-281s as his front L & R.

Volume probably about 5 cubic feet.

I am looking for a recommendation for a 15" sub (12" possibly - if a 6 ohm DVC might run well off two channels of amp from the Denon) Otherwise, do you think a plate amp is best, and if so, which.

Total budget under $500 for sub and amp(if needed).

I super appreciate the help, and am eager to dig into the details once this thread stirs the speaker building files tucked way back in my aging brain.
My suggestion would be the B-stock DIYSoundGroup buyout 15, but he better act FAST before they are gone...

Suggested boxes sizes found here

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #3 of 5 Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
My suggestion would be the B-stock DIYSoundGroup buyout 15, but he better act FAST before they are gone...

Suggested boxes sizes found here
Looks like they are out of stock already...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 287
To hit that price point you are best served looking at a VBSS. Displacement is over 5cuft, but when working on a budget compromises will have to be made somewhere.

Stormbreaker (For Sale) | Wisconsin Home Theater Meet Thread
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.1.4 | Yamaha A3070 | Crown XLS 1502 | iNuke 3000 DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Sub 21" Stormbreaker | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen
post #5 of 5 Old 08-12-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
To hit that price point you are best served looking at a VBSS. Displacement is over 5cuft, but when working on a budget compromises will have to be made somewhere.
Thanks, I will look into the VBSS.

Is there any potential to use 1 or 2 of the 10 channels of 170 watts on his Denon 5805 to avoid spending on a plate amp and afford a better subwoofer driver? 170 is at 8 ohm, but it is safe down to 6 ohm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page