Sub crawl w/ poor results need advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eriksells916

post #1 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Sub crawl w/ poor results need advice

So I did the sub crawl this weekend with my Klipsch reference 10" sub and of course the best sound came from placing it right under my L front speaker. Since I have a built-in entertainment center, it is not feasible to leave the sub in that location and still stay married. I started building two ported jbl cs1214's end tables hoping it would even out the bass (see coffee table 2 pic) but when I moved the Klipsch to each of those 2 locations at the end of the couch, it sounded very boomy until I pulled it about 3 ft away from the wall, which again is less than ideal.

The Klipsch is rear ported so I turned it around a few times and it still sounded bad. Will a front ported or down ported design have less boominess if I place them in those same locations or are the bass waves so long that anything in those locations will be a compromise?

Options....

1. Build the 2 ported subs anyway and place them in locations #2 and #3 (Alt sub location pic) and hope they even out the bass?
2. Stuff a small front ported or sealed sub in the entertainment center (pic) and live with the fact that I may rattle it all loose and I will never see below 35hz?
3. Sell the jbls and build a massive 18in sealed sub to pressurize the whole room and not worry about location?
4. Other?

Room is a large rectangle open on the R side to the kitchen approx. 16x24x11ft ceilings and the couch is against the back wall...I know, I know it's my main living/movie room since I have no dedicated theater.

Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Entertainment center sub location.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	2602892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alt sub location 2 3.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2602894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coffee Table 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2602900  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Quoted: 7084 Post(s)
Liked: 6088
Without being able to measure the frequency response, all you can do is hope that 2 subs placed at opposite ends of the couch will even out the bass response. It's unlikely that bass from 2 different locations will end up with perfectly overlapping peaks & dips, so there will be some averaging out (smoothing) as peaks from one sub fill in the dips from the other sub (and vice versa). A single sub can't compensate for it's own peaks & nulls, so I would stick with 2 subs (instead of a single 18" sub).

Sanjay
post #3 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

@sdurani thank you so much, I like to build sh*t and know nothing about measurements, frequency responses, etc. so I better start reading up!
sdurani likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Here is another option may not be the best but it will help. Only thing you need is the mic that came with your rcvr. First you need to download REW its free it use to be you had to sign up at Home Theater Shack to get the download it may have changed. Once downloaded turn on REW click on the RTA ( real time analyzer ) on the signal gen. click on that using pink noise or sine wave set it for a 60hz 0dbfs test tone now you see what type of response your getting from the sub. Your looking for the flattest response it may take some moving around but it will help. Using you rcvrs mic is not the best option but it will give you better then nothing results.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@sdurani thank you so much, I like to build sh*t and know nothing about measurements, frequency responses, etc. so I better start reading up!
OmniMic is so simple to operate, tons of support online! It would be a great addition if ur gonna be building and tweaking.
Starting with ur sub is a great way to introduce urself to the world of calibration

As of Feb 20th still looking for a Marantz SR7010
**HT Build https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-door-0-a.html **

DIY HT builds, are 90%planning, 10%construction
post #6 of 7 Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks @Cichlid109 and @kgveteran . I have been pondering getting an rz830 and thus would need a minidsp with umik/rew to calibrate dual subs. I just started reading about it so would that be a solution similar to what you both suggested?

Thanks!
post #7 of 7 Old 08-15-2019, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Smile

I get to spend max a hundred dollars per month on home theater so here goes.I got 4 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers and a behringer nx3000 dsp amplifier in an infinite baffle .

I am biased towards infinite baffle but so far out of small sealed to large ported the infinite baffle gives me the best sound with best waf

Like i said i am biased towards infinite baffle .

Yamaha avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount at diy 135 inch screen triple 15 boss build .
Pending buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains new 4k projector 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page