Marty Cube Phoenix area buy - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By lawdogx
  • 1 Post By asarose247
  • 1 Post By dsmrider07
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-30-2019, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HaLo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Marty Cube Phoenix area buy

Anyone interested in splitting a Marty Pack(Full or Mini) buy/freight from GSG in phoenix? Ive got wood in my garage for a DIY Build that I'm too lazy to cut lol....

HT: JVC DLA-X3 / Marantz 7703 / B&K 125.7 / Parasound A21 - HTPC / Oppo UDP-203 / ATV 4K - Zaph Audio ZRT 2.5 / Speakercraft Tantra / DefTech / JL Audio Fathom F110 / REL R505 [5.4.2 Setup]
2 CH System - Hand built Twisted Pear Buffalo II w/ RPi - moOde Source via I2S
Cans - MD Cavalli Liquid Carbon X / Cavalli Tube Hybrid - Acopian PSUs - Focal Elex / Senn HD 6xx / AKG 7xx
HaLo6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 08-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
It's too hot to cut out in PHX! Need a few months.
Chris Popovich is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-30-2019, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HaLo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
seriously this august has been brutal...that's why I'm getting antsy... I figure I'll use that wood for a second build

HT: JVC DLA-X3 / Marantz 7703 / B&K 125.7 / Parasound A21 - HTPC / Oppo UDP-203 / ATV 4K - Zaph Audio ZRT 2.5 / Speakercraft Tantra / DefTech / JL Audio Fathom F110 / REL R505 [5.4.2 Setup]
2 CH System - Hand built Twisted Pear Buffalo II w/ RPi - moOde Source via I2S
Cans - MD Cavalli Liquid Carbon X / Cavalli Tube Hybrid - Acopian PSUs - Focal Elex / Senn HD 6xx / AKG 7xx
HaLo6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,432
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
'It's too hot to cut out in PHX!"

how beautifully, fantastically , unbelievably ironic (?!?). . .

The Marty design originated as a "minimally tool endowed" construct,
using pre-cut handi panels from HD, wherever

except for a few straight short cuts on easily managed panels and the driver cut-out ,
even the bracing could be done using 1x3's - just cut to length . .
a straight edge and a saber saw . . .

the problem may not be the heat . . . .JS

and

JK

having built a few boxes for myself and others
and also had my DOH! moments of revelation with the genius of flatpacks,

DUDE!
REALLY?

but . . . you'll love 'em when they are dialed in . .

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
lawdogx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 171
You will not be disappointed with GSG, great folks to deal with, before, during, and after the sale. Just a thought. Look at the price of two vs four. Then add in shipping (close to same price for two vs four). You’ll realize the price of the extra two is ridiculously cheap.

I bought four intending to then list two for sale and let them sell whenever they sold. Then, after two were built and working I wondered, how much better would two more sound? So, I built the other two (and they all sound great together and really evened out my bass-sucking freak room).

Asarose is absolutely right, marty’s are an easy build from scratch. The issue for me is that I love putting stuff together but hate cutting mdf. My from-scratch builds require frustrating re-cutting, material removal, gap filling, and endless bracing sizing and resizing. GSG is all the fun parts of building a sub with none of the frustration! It fits to the millimeter the first time, every time.
asarose247 likes this.

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's (and always building, currently working on Devastators).
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 2 x NX6000d.
lawdogx is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris Popovich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
'It's too hot to cut out in PHX!"

how beautifully, fantastically , unbelievably ironic (?!?). . .

The Marty design originated as a "minimally tool endowed" construct,
using pre-cut handi panels from HD, wherever

except for a few straight short cuts on easily managed panels and the driver cut-out ,
even the bracing could be done using 1x3's - just cut to length . .
a straight edge and a saber saw . . .

the problem may not be the heat . . . .JS

and

JK

having built a few boxes for myself and others
and also had my DOH! moments of revelation with the genius of flatpacks,

DUDE!
REALLY?

but . . . you'll love 'em when they are dialed in . .
Not sure how that's ironic, I don't want to do anything outside in the PHX summer. I don't even go in the pool during the day. Low humidity and temps in the 115* range, never mind what it is above concrete isn't a fun time to do projects outside of any type. Should start being more reasonable soon, but if you set up some saw horses and get to work you're more likely to end up in the ER than with a finished product. It's okay, we'll be celebrating with all sorts of outdoor activities through the late fall through spring months.

I am not interested in marty's, I have my own designs, just understanding of the OP not wanting to do anything outside this time of year! It's ferocious!

Chris
Chris Popovich is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-31-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,432
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 1092
^
total agreement

even now in OC , power this thing down and GET OUT!
Chris Popovich likes this.

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 09-03-2019, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HaLo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
You will not be disappointed with GSG, great folks to deal with, before, during, and after the sale. Just a thought. Look at the price of two vs four. Then add in shipping (close to same price for two vs four). You’ll realize the price of the extra two is ridiculously cheap.

I bought four intending to then list two for sale and let them sell whenever they sold. Then, after two were built and working I wondered, how much better would two more sound? So, I built the other two (and they all sound great together and really evened out my bass-sucking freak room).

Asarose is absolutely right, marty’s are an easy build from scratch. The issue for me is that I love putting stuff together but hate cutting mdf. My from-scratch builds require frustrating re-cutting, material removal, gap filling, and endless bracing sizing and resizing. GSG is all the fun parts of building a sub with none of the frustration! It fits to the millimeter the first time, every time.

Yeah I'm definitely thinking of doing at least two ... I'll probably just buy the 4 pack of Mini's and try and craigslist two of them.

HT: JVC DLA-X3 / Marantz 7703 / B&K 125.7 / Parasound A21 - HTPC / Oppo UDP-203 / ATV 4K - Zaph Audio ZRT 2.5 / Speakercraft Tantra / DefTech / JL Audio Fathom F110 / REL R505 [5.4.2 Setup]
2 CH System - Hand built Twisted Pear Buffalo II w/ RPi - moOde Source via I2S
Cans - MD Cavalli Liquid Carbon X / Cavalli Tube Hybrid - Acopian PSUs - Focal Elex / Senn HD 6xx / AKG 7xx
HaLo6 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 09-06-2019, 08:19 PM
Member
 
fullhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo6 View Post
Yeah I'm definitely thinking of doing at least two ... I'll probably just buy the 4 pack of Mini's and try and craigslist two of them.
I am in Peoria and saw this thread but having a hard time "Pulling the trigger" so to speak. the WAF factor of my 5 1099's and two HSU 15's seems maxed. Curious if you were going with the
NX3000D and 18 ULM-18 combo? I have a gallon of Duratex sitting here waiting for some subwoofers. I know this doesnt help having a wishy washy guy posting but just thinking about it,I could tip at any
minute.
fullhorn is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 09-07-2019, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HaLo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullhorn View Post
I am in Peoria and saw this thread but having a hard time "Pulling the trigger" so to speak. the WAF factor of my 5 1099's and two HSU 15's seems maxed. Curious if you were going with the
NX3000D and 18 ULM-18 combo? I have a gallon of Duratex sitting here waiting for some subwoofers. I know this doesnt help having a wishy washy guy posting but just thinking about it,I could tip at any
minute.

I'm planning on ordering Monday/Tuesday of next week. I'm getting two full martys and two mini marty's, right now, I'm planning on using the two fulls, PM me and ill shoot you my phone if you are interested... probably around $250 a piece delivered to my house. I'm planning on using a Crown XLS 1002 since I already have it and the UM-18. Might add a miniDSP in the chain to handle crossover/DSP duties...

HT: JVC DLA-X3 / Marantz 7703 / B&K 125.7 / Parasound A21 - HTPC / Oppo UDP-203 / ATV 4K - Zaph Audio ZRT 2.5 / Speakercraft Tantra / DefTech / JL Audio Fathom F110 / REL R505 [5.4.2 Setup]
2 CH System - Hand built Twisted Pear Buffalo II w/ RPi - moOde Source via I2S
Cans - MD Cavalli Liquid Carbon X / Cavalli Tube Hybrid - Acopian PSUs - Focal Elex / Senn HD 6xx / AKG 7xx
HaLo6 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
HaLo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If anyone is interested I've got two Mini-Martys for $250 each in PHX for pickup

HT: JVC DLA-X3 / Marantz 7703 / B&K 125.7 / Parasound A21 - HTPC / Oppo UDP-203 / ATV 4K - Zaph Audio ZRT 2.5 / Speakercraft Tantra / DefTech / JL Audio Fathom F110 / REL R505 [5.4.2 Setup]
2 CH System - Hand built Twisted Pear Buffalo II w/ RPi - moOde Source via I2S
Cans - MD Cavalli Liquid Carbon X / Cavalli Tube Hybrid - Acopian PSUs - Focal Elex / Senn HD 6xx / AKG 7xx
HaLo6 is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 09-27-2019, 04:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm just here because its cool theres people on this forum in the Phx area!! I'm located in Glendale
SuperFist likes this.
dsmrider07 is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 09-27-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 3,014
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 264
@dsmrider07 I’m local as well. 😎
gpmbc is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off