Shallow Sealed compression driver MTM - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mandragora
  • 1 Post By 3ll3d00d

post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2019, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Question Shallow Sealed compression driver MTM

Hello all,

I'm looking to try to build a shallow MTM speaker to be used as LCR for my theater.

For various reasons I'm looking to build sealed boxes with a compression driver MTM speaker configuration, with the tweeter to whose size don't exceed the following constrain: HxWxD ~600mmX450mmX190mm;

I was looking at Accuton and B&C for the drivers but I'll be more that happy for suggestions and indications.

Crossover will be implemented by the means of MiniDSP or similar as I;d like to experiment with active speakers.

thank you very much for the help,

Ben
neo_2009 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-17-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Quoted: 2536 Post(s)
Liked: 2815
Do you mean to put the CD in a waveguide of some description?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
Do you mean to put the CD in a waveguide of some description?
Yes thanks :-)

I'm not expert in speaker design and this is going to be more an exercise/experiment for me.

what I'm after is to build the smallest sealed enclosure that can host couple of 8" woofers and a compression driver in a waveguide .

there are companies (or one at least) that are producing speakers with specs similar to what I wrote ... I 'just' don't know which driver and horn to select ... so many choices.

I took B&C for example as they are Italian and by reading on the web they seems to be very well respected :-)

thanks for all the help,

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

any fixed budget in mind? I guess the mention of accuton means the budget is fairly flexible
post #5 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

for inspiration around 8" woofers to use in this setup then you can search for people who build MTMs with the Beyma TPL150, there is at least one on this site which is paired with the FaitalPro 8PR200 (lots of pics and measurements in that thread) and there are multiple threads on this subject on diyaudio. You won't be short of choice that's for sure

if you want to use a CD then size doesn't seem an issue, lets say you used a BMS4550 with a SEOS10, you'll have a total depth in the region of 130-140mm and it will fit between 2 8" drivers in that size box. Not sure how easy it is to buy SEOS waveguides alone these days though, an alternative might be something like http://www.eighteensound.com/en/prod...n/1-0/0/XT1086 or you can print your own if you have a 3d printer https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...er-towers.html is an example of that sort of build.
mandragora likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
any fixed budget in mind? I guess the mention of accuton means the budget is fairly flexible
yeah the budget is flexible. of course as this is an experiment if I can save $ than it will be better :-)
post #7 of 7 Old 09-18-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
for inspiration around 8" woofers to use in this setup then you can search for people who build MTMs with the Beyma TPL150, there is at least one on this site which is paired with the FaitalPro 8PR200 (lots of pics and measurements in that thread) and there are multiple threads on this subject on diyaudio. You won't be short of choice that's for sure

if you want to use a CD then size doesn't seem an issue, lets say you used a BMS4550 with a SEOS10, you'll have a total depth in the region of 130-140mm and it will fit between 2 8" drivers in that size box. Not sure how easy it is to buy SEOS waveguides alone these days though, an alternative might be something like http://www.eighteensound.com/en/prod...n/1-0/0/XT1086 or you can print your own if you have a 3d printer https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...er-towers.html is an example of that sort of build.
thank you very much for the hint. I'll go and have a look !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page