Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
A Crazy SUBMAXIMUS build

So i conclued that my bed is taking to much space and decided to replace is with a SUBMAXIMUS. And sleeping on it
So I talked to Mr. John (LTD02) and i'm still waiting for his feedback about my Idea.

It all started with my room giving me a god awful response, no matter where i put the subs( 6 FLH and 2 sealed) and whatever i do i get alot of nulls and peaks.
I read about nearfield placement and did a research on it,saw a few experiments, my ears should be 1 to 2 feet away from the driver( or a horns mouth in the submaximus's case) if i measure the response 1 feet away from the mouth i get a response unaffected by my room, an exact one simulated in Hornresp, i tried it with my subs and it worked. the response was great and tried placing my head right in front of the horns mouth and listening to some music,it was truly great, plus i can reach the desired SPLs without shaking my building.
So i changed a bit in the design of the SUBMAXIMUS, doubled the horns mouth, increased the horns length slightly and repositioned the mouth so it's J shaped( that allows for my head to be a few centimeters in front of the mouth)
i'm going to attach a few pictures of the submaximus v3 vs one i'm working on (Hornresp) and a small sketchup picture to try to illustrate my idea.
Any feedback or Helpful comments are appreciated !

N.B: I;m using a B&C 21DS115 as a driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (31).png
Views:	67
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	2615664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (30).png
Views:	63
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	2615666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (35).png
Views:	92
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	2615668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (34).png
Views:	72
Size:	645.0 KB
ID:	2615670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (32).png
Views:	57
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	2615672  

JESAL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 1588
As a owner of 4 submaximus v3s I applause you lol. This is sure to give you many sleepless nights.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
notfastenough likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
As a owner of 4 submaximus v3s I applause you lol. This is sure to give you many sleepless nights.

Hello! yes i remember you telling me a nearfield submaximus is too extreme, i'm soon to sleep in it's mouth so we'll have to find out!
do you have anything comments about the design? would installing a J shaped mouth cause any problems in your opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I Like this idea Thank you

HMMNN... I'm shopping around for Home theater sofa and have extra drivers.
post #5 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zallou3 View Post
Hello! yes i remember you telling me a nearfield submaximus is too extreme, i'm soon to sleep in it's mouth so we'll have to find out!

do you have anything comments about the design? would installing a J shaped mouth cause any problems in your opinion?
Lol I dont think I meant to extreme just really intense. I really like the idea. Not sure about the j but if the size of the mouth didnt change to much I think it would be ok so pretty much your going to take the end off make it longer than build a port up almost like a headboard. If so it might lower the tune just a tad because of the extra length I would consult with John I almost went with modified v3s if they would have fit right. That's 2 on top of each other with the ports on the ends.

post #6 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I really like the solution here for room response lol. Insane SPL with good response is just around the corner. You're head is in a good place

One word of caution/consideration regarding being close to the horn mouth. If you talk on the phone while in the bed or are sensitive to "odd" HF sound, sitting in the horn mouth might need some other treatment or ideas. Not trying to rain on your parade, just being aware of a possible compromise.

When I'm talking in front of my horn, it is different than other places away from it. Not as bad as talking into a drum or barrel, but noticable to me. You'll have enough headroom to do some treatments in/around the mouth if needed.
hd0823 likes this.
post #7 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Lol I dont think I meant to extreme just really intense. I really like the idea. Not sure about the j but if the size of the mouth didnt change to much I think it would be ok so pretty much your going to take the end off make it longer than build a port up almost like a headboard. If so it might lower the tune just a tad because of the extra length I would consult with John I almost went with modified v3s if they would have fit right. That's 2 on top of each other with the ports on the ends.

Actually i doubled the size of the mouth, it's going to be 5500cm2 or 90 x 50 cms,i attached a photo showing the simulation on hornresp and comparing it to the original v3, i sent John a message and still waiting for his answer, it should be very interesting and instense, already have 130 db + at some frequencies.
That modified sub looks amazing, too bad it didn't fit!
how many tubes of PL premium did you end up using per sub?

Last edited by Zallou3; 09-15-2019 at 02:53 PM.
post #8 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
I really like the solution here for room response lol. Insane SPL with good response is just around the corner. You're head is in a good place

One word of caution/consideration regarding being close to the horn mouth. If you talk on the phone while in the bed or are sensitive to "odd" HF sound, sitting in the horn mouth might need some other treatment or ideas. Not trying to rain on your parade, just being aware of a possible compromise.

When I'm talking in front of my horn, it is different than other places away from it. Not as bad as talking into a drum or barrel, but noticable to me. You'll have enough headroom to do some treatments in/around the mouth if needed.
Thank you for the tip, maybe i'll put some rockwool inside the mouth to absorb and deaden the resonance a bit,we'll have to see once i finish the sub, the mouth is going to be 90x60 cms probably ,so i'll have enough room to actually sleep inside of it,should be cozy and safe!
post #9 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 455
lol your nuts I love it. and I kinda want to do a head board version for my bedroom.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #10 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
lol your nuts I love it. and I kinda want to do a head board version for my bedroom.
i'm proud of myself for coming up with the idea .Lol
well if i went through with it i'll sure to post sweeps and distortion charts with my personal feedback, might help you decide!
post #11 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked: 4294
Quote:
So i conclued that my bed is taking to much space and decided to replace is with a SUBMAXIMUS. And sleeping on it
Sex at 150db? You could be on to something new...
and here we thought PH had a full listing of categories!

My future prediction:
After we become multi-planetary, a new zero-g category will be added rather quickly.
and several months later... Will the spherical-meatbags even contain bones?
Zallou3 likes this.
post #12 of 39 Old 09-15-2019, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually i doubled the size of the mouth, it's going to be 5500cm2 or 90 x 50 cms,i attached a photo showing the simulation on hornresp and comparing it to the original v3, i sent John a message and still waiting for his answer, it should be very interesting and instense, already have 130 db + at some frequencies.

That modified sub looks amazing, too bad it didn't fit!

how many tubes of PL premium did you end up using per sub?
I went a little crazy but I think I remember using 4 to 4.5 28 oz tubes each . Yeah I only had like 72 inchs to work with behind the baffle wall. Still work out better now since they actually set back like 14 inchs from baffle wall I can go with a wider screen. Jumping from 12 ft wide to 16 wide. I'm thinking hell say it's ok because most of the changes arent till the end of the path. I'm really intrested to see what he says this could be a good idea for the guest bedroom when I finish our basement next year lol.

post #13 of 39 Old 09-16-2019, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I went a little crazy but I think I remember using 4 to 4.5 28 oz tubes each . Yeah I only had like 72 inchs to work with behind the baffle wall. Still work out better now since they actually set back like 14 inchs from baffle wall I can go with a wider screen. Jumping from 12 ft wide to 16 wide. I'm thinking hell say it's ok because most of the changes arent till the end of the path. I'm really intrested to see what he says this could be a good idea for the guest bedroom when I finish our basement next year lol.

I'm glad you guys are liking the idea, we spend 1/3 of our lives sleeping, why not sleep on a our beloved sub
I'll try mentioning Mr @LTD02 , hopefully he'll join and give us his feedback!
post #14 of 39 Old 09-16-2019, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The big man Mr @LTD02 has given me his blessings:

"That should work just fine!

The only thing is how to think about a headboard, so your pillows don't fall into the horn while sleeping. :-)

John"

Project BEDMAXIMUS has officially started ( i lack creativity so any other name will work aswell lol)
i would like to finish it before friday night, some people are coming over and i can't wait to show off my new bed.
i'll keep posting updates!
post #15 of 39 Old 09-16-2019, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
Sex at 150db? You could be on to something new...
and here we thought PH had a full listing of categories!

My future prediction:
After we become multi-planetary, a new zero-g category will be added rather quickly.
and several months later... Will the spherical-meatbags even contain bones?
I started working on it, you're soon to see some interesting sweeps
post #16 of 39 Old 09-16-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Love this idea !!!

How thick will the mattress be, and will that partially block the mouth?

Joseph

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?
post #17 of 39 Old 09-16-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The big man Mr @LTD02 has given me his blessings:

"That should work just fine!

The only thing is how to think about a headboard, so your pillows don't fall into the horn while sleeping. :-)

John"

Project BEDMAXIMUS has officially started ( i lack creativity so any other name will work aswell lol)

i would like to finish it before friday night, some people are coming over and i can't wait to show off my new bed.

i'll keep posting updates!
This is awesome I figured he would give the ok you could do bracing all along the port similar to the regular v3 to stop pillows from falling in

post #18 of 39 Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Dude, just make it bigger and crawl INTO IT to sleep. Kinda like the inverse of those sensory deprivation chambers hehehe.

Actually I can see two of these being built and connected together at the non port end (using the opening as the armrests). Throw a angled back piece on the outer edge, add some cushions and upholster it and bam, sectional and nearfield awesomeness lol

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #19 of 39 Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post
Love this idea !!!

How thick will the mattress be, and will that partially block the mouth?

Joseph
well my current matress's height is 15 cms,it will probably block 15 cms of the mouth(the mouth is 60x90)
if we recalculate the mouth's square are it will become 4400 cm2,i'll attach the hornresp simulation, the difference is benign in my opinion, what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (37).png
Views:	20
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	2616328  
post #20 of 39 Old 09-16-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Dude, just make it bigger and crawl INTO IT to sleep. Kinda like the inverse of those sensory deprivation chambers hehehe.

Actually I can see two of these being built and connected together at the non port end (using the opening as the armrests). Throw a angled back piece on the outer edge, add some cushions and upholster it and bam, sectional and nearfield awesomeness lol
Great idea!
and actually i might placing my head inside the horn and try falling asleep,might bring a feeling of safety
post #21 of 39 Old 09-16-2019, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
This is awesome I figured he would give the ok you could do bracing all along the port similar to the regular v3 to stop pillows from falling in

very nice and looks awesome actually, i'll work on it,thank you!
post #22 of 39 Old 09-18-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATES!
Got the wood yesterday and dedicated my whole day today to work on it, i basically still need to brace everything and i'm DONE.
Feedbacks pleasee!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BM5.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2617266   Click image for larger version

Name:	bm4.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	2617268   Click image for larger version

Name:	BM3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2617270   Click image for larger version

Name:	bm2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2617272   Click image for larger version

Name:	BM.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	2617274  

post #23 of 39 Old 09-18-2019, 12:32 PM

That is too funny!!! Can't wait to hear how you wake up in the mornings and make your sub-bed lolololol!!!!!

I'm guessing a double pillow top mattress would make it a very high bed, how tall will it be when done?

By the smears, it looks like your using something like PL3 glue, are you using screws, brad nails to hold panels?
post #24 of 39 Old 09-18-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is too funny!!! Can't wait to hear how you wake up in the mornings and make your sub-bed lolololol!!!!!

I'm guessing a double pillow top mattress would make it a very high bed, how tall will it be when done?

By the smears, it looks like your using something like PL3 glue, are you using screws, brad nails to hold panels?
The Bedmaximus 's height is 60.5 cms ,add the mattress's 15 cms,probably around 76 cms total, i usually use a air mattress over my normal matress for increased tactile response,i'm not sure i'm gona need it now! plus i'll be way high so i'm not so sure.

Sadly we don't have PL premium in Lebanon so i went with the closest thing i found, it's called Bison Poly Max, it's permanently elastic,and should work just fine here, i also use alot of screws everywhere. just want to make sure it's not leaking air for anywhere, the braces are gona be a pain in the ass since i only have a manual jig saw to cut everything.. any tips would be appreciated!
post #25 of 39 Old 09-18-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
. . . just crawl into the horn mouth . . .

well . . .

if you're really into that kind of thing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160719_145445.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2617286  
notfastenough and smcmillan2 like this.

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #26 of 39 Old 09-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Borrowing a pic from @BryceDH here....

For the "height" of the brace that has to be an angle cut, just place one side against the flat side and mark the edges for the angle side and draw your cut line. If you've made the rest of the sub with a jig saw, the bracing will actually be easier since it's short cuts that don't have to be airtight. Just keep using the Bison glue (assuming it expands like PL) and use screws if possible. If not, just be very sure the braces don't slide once set in place. Hope this helps.
asarose247 likes this.
post #27 of 39 Old 09-18-2019, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
. . . just crawl into the horn mouth . . .

well . . .

if you're really into that kind of thing
You actually made me LoL so hard, thank you for that Mr Wil
And i was thinking of tagging you, you usually scan the forums for horn sub threads!
What do you think about everything so far? Do you like the idea?
post #28 of 39 Old 09-18-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Borrowing a pic from @BryceDH here....

For the "height" of the brace that has to be an angle cut, just place one side against the flat side and mark the edges for the angle side and draw your cut line. If you've made the rest of the sub with a jig saw, the bracing will actually be easier since it's short cuts that don't have to be airtight. Just keep using the Bison glue (assuming it expands like PL) and use screws if possible. If not, just be very sure the braces don't slide once set in place. Hope this helps.
Very helpful actually,great idea thank you!
i don't think it expands..,i'll do my best to use screws everywhere, hoping it works well
notfastenough likes this.
post #29 of 39 Old 09-22-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATES:
Alright guys so i believe i finished the bracings, decided not to brace the mouth since it's going to be right behind me with zero pressure on it, i decreased the depth from 60 to 30 cms( to avoid pillows or tiny humans falling inside of it)
i guess all i have left is closing the sub paiting it and installing the B&C 21DS115
Any comments?
Anything i forgot to do?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	2618736   Click image for larger version

Name:	J.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2618738   Click image for larger version

Name:	H.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	2618740   Click image for larger version

Name:	G.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2618742   Click image for larger version

Name:	F.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	2618744  

Name:	D.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	2618746   Click image for larger version

Name:	S.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	2618748  
Craig S King likes this.
post #30 of 39 Old 09-27-2019, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

IT IS TIME
the sub is done, took 6 men to carry it to my room through the window.
done some initial rew measurements of the sub outdoors and indoors at listening position
hit 130 db at 16 hz with all my 7 FLH engaged and 2300 watts driving everything
hit 120 db at 6 hz and 121 db at 9 hz with the subs, at mouth level it's mostly distortion so room gain is to thank here!
@LTD02 @hd0823 @asarose247 @BassThatHz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (41).png
Views:	27
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	2620686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (40).png
Views:	22
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	2620688   Click image for larger version

Name:	bedd.jpg