Question - Frankenspeaker HT8 using Volt 8 angled flatpack - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By EndersShadow
  • 2 Post By notfastenough

post #1 of 12 Old 09-18-2019, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
Question - Frankenspeaker HT8 using Volt 8 angled flatpack

So I'm thinking I want to use the HT8 as my side surrounds. However I will have them mounted really high up (almost touching the ceiling), so I was thinking an angled box would work best.

I was looking and the HT8 and Volt 8 are "close" size wise.

HT8 - 12.5 W x 16.75 H
Volt 8 - 11 W x 15 H

If one were to cut the roundover off the HT8 (because I'd be building grills and need a square corners), could one take the cutdown HT8 baffle and make it fit on the angled Volt 8 flatpack?

I realize a bit of adjustments would need to be made to account for the added height, but figured I'd ask. I'm not sure if the depth would work for the waveguide or the driver.....

Love to hear everyones thoughts.....

Pinging @mtg90 and @Erich H to get their thoughts
Craig S King likes this.

My Setup | Custom MiniDSP Build | FS: If its For Sale, find it all (here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 221
If you have the ability to cut the round covers off, then I'd say just build the angled backer box that suits your application best. I would think it would take more effort to retrofit the volt flat pack, imo of course.
Craig S King and kagtha like this.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-19-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Are these going to be used as surrounds? If so flipping the face so that the wave guide is at the bottom may help with clearance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Erich usually runs those boxes to a minimum size that will fit the bracing and drivers but not much more. It might work but for my money you should just get the Volt 8 or 10 and be done with it. Very very good surrounds.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-19-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGhost View Post
Are these going to be used as surrounds? If so flipping the face so that the wave guide is at the bottom may help with clearance.
Just thought about this, even though the angle would help, the bottom would be too shallow.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-19-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfastenough View Post
If you have the ability to cut the round covers off, then I'd say just build the angled backer box that suits your application best. I would think it would take more effort to retrofit the volt flat pack, imo of course.
You may be right, I just hate making angled cuts in MDF lol....

Quote:
Yes, and I'd already planned on that to also ensure the ports were on the longer portion of the box so they didnt need adjusting either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpilk View Post
Erich usually runs those boxes to a minimum size that will fit the bracing and drivers but not much more. It might work but for my money you should just get the Volt 8 or 10 and be done with it. Very very good surrounds.
The recommendation for my setup was actually to use the HT8's over the Volts, unless I was doing ATMOS in which case use the VOLTS for atmos.

I'm not cool like the rest of you so I can only run 5 speakers + subs.

Quote:
Just thought about this, even though the angle would help, the bottom would be too shallow.
Thats why I wanted to PING matt and erich to see if the 5.5" depth toward the bottom would be a problem. Also since the stock HT8 baffle is TALLER than the Volt 8 flatpack, I could build in that extra gap portion at the bottom bringing up the waveguide baffle a bit.

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #7 of 12 Old 09-19-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Liked: 12012
I think with the waveguide and its intentionally limited vertical dispersion it's even more important than normal that you tilt it toward the listener. What approximate angle would it take for them to point toward your ears?

You may want to consider coming square off the front baffle to give clearance and then angling, like I did in my double-angled Atmos speakers (link in my sig), just in a much simpler single-angled version.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #8 of 12 Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 458
The volts have a pretty bad off axis response to be honest. The HT8 would be much nicer in comparison. If your right on axis with the volts however they should be good.

All that said if your running 5 speakers how about trying the Cobalts? They come in an angled box orientation and look to be decent with sensitivity and output. Also that domed tweeter should have better dispersion over a waveguide.

Also- if you plan on using atmos you dont want your surrounds high up on the wall as you need separation from your bed layer. I would go for 1.5' above your head at the seated position and slightly behind you facing in towards your seats for ideal placement. If they are up to high you cant really hear the separation of atmos speakers to surrounds.

Another option. How about using the ht8 if you really want them and a wall mount from amazon. They make mounts that can hold 55lb bookshelf speakers up to 13" wide should be plenty big to hold them. Ones I saw are under $30 for the pair. Sure its more work finding the stud to screw the mounts into compared to a single screw holding the speaker up but now you can make sure the speakers are pointed right at you and get a better on axis response.

Another option if you are lacking space but have a wall. How about in wall speakers or recessing the DIY speaker in the wall?

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #9 of 12 Old 09-21-2019, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
The volts have a pretty bad off axis response to be honest. The HT8 would be much nicer in comparison. If your right on axis with the volts however they should be good.......
Also- if you plan on using atmos you dont want your surrounds high up on the wall as you need separation from your bed layer. I would go for 1.5' above your head at the seated position and slightly behind you facing in towards your seats for ideal placement. If they are up to high you cant really hear the separation of atmos speakers to surrounds.
The surrounds are on axis for the most part. Pictures of my old surrounds (Polk LSi F/X bipole/dipole speakers). You can see they are mounted optimally for just 5.1

Given the layout, and other roadblocks to implementation, I am going to stay with just a good 5.1 setup, with maybe heights at some point, but honestly unlikely.

I will have as many subs as I can possibly have though to help fill in the stupid large space I have (open floorplan)......

Quote:
All that said if your running 5 speakers how about trying the Cobalts? They come in an angled box orientation and look to be decent with sensitivity and output. Also that domed tweeter should have better dispersion over a waveguide.
Interested design, didnt see those before. Gonna have to research them a bit more.

Quote:
Another option. How about using the ht8 if you really want them and a wall mount from amazon. They make mounts that can hold 55lb bookshelf speakers up to 13" wide should be plenty big to hold them. Ones I saw are under $30 for the pair. Sure its more work finding the stud to screw the mounts into compared to a single screw holding the speaker up but now you can make sure the speakers are pointed right at you and get a better on axis response.
Yeah, I've used those. The issue is the stud alignment is not the same on the walls and the studs would move the speakers forward of their current location putting the "rear surrounds" in FRONT of the main listening locations, which is NOT ideal.

The angle is a requirement to point the sound down to the listener rather than have it travel above (again considering the height of the surounds, which I can't move down due to current constraints).

I also dont like those mounts for this as it then sticks the speaker farther out than I'd like. I want them to be flush with the wall to help with the aesthetics, and also the fact that some seats are darn near right below the surrounds lol......

Quote:
Another option if you are lacking space but have a wall. How about in wall speakers or recessing the DIY speaker in the wall?
Thought about that, the only concern I have is one wall is an exterior wall and therefore to recess it I need to remove insulation and fix a hole in the vapor barrier, and I'm not sure how that might affect my house's heating/cooling envelope.......

But I've thought about it, especially if I recess an angled speaker I make the coverage better.....

post #10 of 12 Old 09-21-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Seems like you have most of the layout covered. Just build some angled boxes or be lazy and tack some wood to the back of the normal speaker box then use that wood back to mount to the wall creating an angled speaker using a french cleat.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #11 of 12 Old 09-21-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
The surrounds are on axis for the most part. Pictures of my old surrounds (Polk LSi F/X bipole/dipole speakers). You can see they are mounted optimally for just 5.1....
You can use your existing surrounds as Heights, and add new surrounds lower on the wall.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #12 of 12 Old 09-21-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Seems like you have most of the layout covered. Just build some angled boxes or be lazy and tack some wood to the back of the normal speaker box then use that wood back to mount to the wall creating an angled speaker using a french cleat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
You can use your existing surrounds as Heights, and add new surrounds lower on the wall.

The speakers shown were all sold 2 years ago so I’m rebuilding everything. Right now I only have L/R and 2 subs. These new surrounds would be where the others were before (which was shown just for reference)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page