Welcome to my build thread / Journey into DIY. A year ago I knew nothing about DIY speakers and now I find myself frequenting this site multiple times a day, the hobby has taken over. It all started when I was researching what sub I should buy and realizing how expensive they were (for something as small as a 12" at that) and I stumbled across the DIY section of this site. I suffer from analysis paralysis and I had a hard time deciding which DIY sub to go with between the VBSS and the Marty / Johnny but in the end I went with the Mini Marty. Factoring in future additions to the HT and the WAF it seemed like the best option. So my journey begins with the Marty.
Growing up I was the go to guy for car stereo installations for my friends. I feel like I have a pretty good ear for sound quality but i'm no expert. This is my first dive into something other than car audio and boy do I feel lost sometimes, but half the fun is learning so I don't mind. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and if there is a tool that I don't have, my dad does have it. So I knew that I had the means and the will to complete a project of this size. These factors and my cost consciousness ultimately lead me to the world of DIY speakers. I wouldn't say that I know a whole lot about the science behind all of this yet but I look forward to learning it.
The Decision - While trying to decide which Marty to build I was going back and forth between the Johnny, Mini, and Full Marty enclosures. I settled on the Mini because to me the Marty's value is the the ability to dig down and get into the Mid Teens Hz wise, and the Mini was the best compromise between size and tune. In hindsight, it's so big already, I'm not sure if I shouldn't have went ahead building the Full, and in the future the next one I build will probably be a Full, unless another design catches my eye. At first I was going to go with some Birch but after pricing it out at a few local lumber supply places I couldn't pass up the savings by going with MDF. So I went to the store, picked up the wood and headed to my dad's house.
Seemed to have lost some pictures around this part of the process so I'll jump right in to the assembly.
I Purchased a circle jig for my router to get the wholes right for the driver. It worked really well.
Used a finishing nail gun and Titebond II for the assembly.
Prior to adding the inner bottom piece I painted the port area black with some left over spray paint.
Everything I cut was pretty square so it was fitting together well.
Used all of the extra MDF to create some bracing.
Mocked up the baffle to see how it all fit together, obligatory curious cat.
Stopped by Walmart to pick up a king sized mattress topper for some sound insulation.
Landed on the NX3000DSP to power it after some back and forth between it and the 6000. Given my addiction I probably should have gone with the 6000. Hooked it all up to give it a test and all I can say is WOW, I'm blown away by this thing.
I used Durhams's water putty to cover up all of my nail gun holes and prepped for paint. I used an orbital sander with some 80 Grit to sand all of the edges smooth.
After it was prepped I pulled out the router again and beveled the edges with a 0.5" bit. Messed up on a section so I used some putty to fix it. I used a smaller bit on the ports.
The theme will be white and black, which brings me to my current state. Here it is routed and primed. You can see a Volt-6 lurking in the background.