Behringer NX6000D FAN MOD vs MiniDSP w/Crown AMP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Audiophile75
  • 1 Post By Augerhandle

post #1 of 7 Old 09-22-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Behringer NX6000D FAN MOD vs MiniDSP w/Crown AMP

All; first I appreciate any all feedback to help me make a decision. I made an investment within the Behringer NX6000D to power my Ultimate 18-22 Full Marty Subwoofer with the option of adding another Sub based upon measurements and placement of the first.

Upfront; the Behringer NX6000D sounds good with the sub so output isn't any concern and the built in DSP functions as expected; BUT the FAN is completely annoying and unsatisfactory in this time and age of check quiet fans. As well remote power management when system is shutdown.

I have already researched that we can do Fan MODS to reduce the noise but this doesn't solve the power management problem and everything I have located online references the older series iNuke. As well the unit is brand new and still under warranty.

Question 1 - If I am to use Furman with integrated 12v trigger for power will out get a thump?
Question 2 - Is the Mod for iNuke still valid for the NX6000D and anyone have a reference to support the steps necessary based upon the NX6000D design?

Question 3 - I have been considering returning the unit; which I am still able; and obtaining the MiniDSP and Crown Amplifier XLS2502 . XLS2502 is Quieter and has Remote Power Management; do we think this is a better solution overall?

Open to anything else that would provide the necessary power and be quiet and remote power management.

thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-22-2019, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS_VA View Post
All; first I appreciate any all feedback to help me make a decision. I made an investment within the Behringer NX6000D to power my Ultimate 18-22 Full Marty Subwoofer with the option of adding another Sub based upon measurements and placement of the first.

Upfront; the Behringer NX6000D sounds good with the sub so output isn't any concern and the built in DSP functions as expected; BUT the FAN is completely annoying and unsatisfactory in this time and age of check quiet fans. As well remote power management when system is shutdown.

I have already researched that we can do Fan MODS to reduce the noise but this doesn't solve the power management problem and everything I have located online references the older series iNuke. As well the unit is brand new and still under warranty.

Question 1 - If I am to use Furman with integrated 12v trigger for power will out get a thump?
Question 2 - Is the Mod for iNuke still valid for the NX6000D and anyone have a reference to support the steps necessary based upon the NX6000D design?

Question 3 - I have been considering returning the unit; which I am still able; and obtaining the MiniDSP and Crown Amplifier XLS2502 . XLS2502 is Quieter and has Remote Power Management; do we think this is a better solution overall?

Open to anything else that would provide the necessary power and be quiet and remote power management.

thanks,
I have both, an inuke and a crown xls amp. I love the crown for ease of use and quietness without doing any mods, also don’t mind having a minidsp. The I nuke/nx is a great amp for budget buyers. If budget is of no concern get the crown with the minidsp, if budget is a concern then the nx. Caution: just because you think one amp is enough, three more “somehow” get ordered and then you may have mismatched looking amps at what $$$?
Chris Popovich likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 7
What receiver do you have? I only ask because if you have a Yamaha or Onkyo, you'll need and ART clean box. So thats an extra cost, basically the crown is almost 1000$ when you add minidsp and art cleanbox. Everyone here seems to really like the behringers and im sure they are good especially when it comes to watts per $$. However when i was in the same boat as you, there were tons of people on this forum that were having trouble with the new NX series even though they claim its almost same amp with different look. Also at the time i was looking there were absolutely no reviews on the NX series, but after waiting for reviews to come out, people were asking for help more than putting out reviews. I ended up getting crown xls 2502, minidsp HD, and ART clean box. If you go with that combo and require the art clean box you need to turn off the art clean box first before the amp. Remember you only need the clean box for yamaha or onkyo because something about their sub preouts not providing enough power even in .775 or 1.4. Like i said i have no experience with the behringers but so far im enjoyng the crown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-22-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile75 View Post
I have both, an inuke and a crown xls amp. I love the crown for ease of use and quietness without doing any mods, also don’t mind having a minidsp. The I nuke/nx is a great amp for budget buyers. If budget is of no concern get the crown with the minidsp, if budget is a concern then the nx. Caution: just because you think one amp is enough, three more “somehow” get ordered and then you may have mismatched looking amps at what $$$?
For my main channels I am using D-sonic and Outlaw for the Height Channels.. This Amp will only be for the Subwoofer.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-22-2019, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyslim View Post
What receiver do you have? I only ask because if you have a Yamaha or Onkyo, you'll need and ART clean box. So thats an extra cost, basically the crown is almost 1000$ when you add minidsp and art cleanbox. Everyone here seems to really like the behringers and im sure they are good especially when it comes to watts per $$. However when i was in the same boat as you, there were tons of people on this forum that were having trouble with the new NX series even though they claim its almost same amp with different look. Also at the time i was looking there were absolutely no reviews on the NX series, but after waiting for reviews to come out, people were asking for help more than putting out reviews. I ended up getting crown xls 2502, minidsp HD, and ART clean box. If you go with that combo and require the art clean box you need to turn off the art clean box first before the amp. Remember you only need the clean box for yamaha or onkyo because something about their sub preouts not providing enough power even in .775 or 1.4. Like i said i have no experience with the behringers but so far im enjoyng the crown
I am using an Anthem AVM 60 with all Balanced connections through the system; so I will go Balanced to MiniDSP to Crown Balanced. Based upon your feedback this should result a great experience and quiet as a mouse except when the Sub is active
post #6 of 7 Old 09-22-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyslim View Post
I've run a Behringer with an Onkyo receiver for years with no problems, and more than enough input. Art Clean Box is NOT required.
filtor1 likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #7 of 7 Old 09-22-2019, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
To your second question, the inuke/nx fan swap procedure is the same. The Noctua NF-A8 fans are very popular (and VERY quiet). Folks debate about the FLX vs PWM flavor (I used PWM because it provides about 10% more airflow). Then there are two popular methods, splice the wires or alter the 3 or 4 pin connector to fit the two pins on the nx board. The most recent thread is here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ap-thread.html

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's (and always building, currently working on Devastators).
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 2 x NX6000d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page