need advices for new driver and 2nd sub DIY project - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By buggers

post #1 of 5 Old 10-09-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi guys,

My current system almost complete for atmos (jbl fronts, klipsch center, klipsch rear, klipsch back, klipsch atmos height speakers onkyo tx nr 686) I have my own DIY passive subwoofer from old days and I want to replace current Kenwood KFC-WF303 driver with better one (because of my current driver cant play anything under 30hz) I'm using it with my Behringer KM750 amp (400w at 4ohm) (plz check detailed tech specs of this amp from this link : https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...reo.html/specs).

Here are my questions which I really need your advices and suggestions please :

1) Which new driver can be perfect match for my current MDF box following dimensions? I measured front panel and it let me to use max. 16inch driver.

- My current MDF subwoofer (ported) box dimensions are : H: 44,5cm (17,5inches) - W: 48,5cm (19inches) - D : 40,5cm (15,9inches)

- Im living in Europe, I dont want to order from US, some driver brands are easy to find in here such as Faital pro etc.

2) In next months Im planning to start a new subwoofer DIY and complete my HT as 7.2.4.

- This 2nd DIY subwoofer's driver needs to match with my current subwoofer ? If yes, then my Behringer KM750 amp need to be enough for feeding these 2 new drivers because I dont want to buy a new amp, I just want to use my this amp for both of subwoofers.

- Technically feeding 2 subwoofers with the same amp is possible ? I guess its possible but from the same signal of reciever (or do I need to use both of the signal out of my receiver ) and from the same channel output of behringer amp, or each subwoofer needs to connect to seperate channel of Behringer amp ?

- Which DIY project will be the correct one for my 2nd subwoofer ? (when we choose a new driver for my current one will it effect on the next DIY project?)

Thanx in advance!

Last edited by lovnblack; 10-09-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-09-2019, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 277
If you want to add in the future the easy answer is.... build all the same subwoofers, you’ll be farther ahead and spend less money. Try reading the VBSS thread or even the $30 12” jbl post, both are great budget builds with no sacrifice to quality.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-10-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile75 View Post
If you want to add in the future the easy answer is.... build all the same subwoofers, you’ll be farther ahead and spend less money. Try reading the VBSS thread or even the $30 12” jbl post, both are great budget builds with no sacrifice to quality.
Thank you for your answer. Ok I understood, if both of my subs can be the same it will be better. Then for the first step, I want to change my current subwoofer driver with better one, but I want to use my this subwoofer ported MDF box. Which subwoofer driver is proper one for these dimensions :

H: 17,5 inches
W: 19inches
D : 15,9inches

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-17-2019, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
1. Throw that box out.
2. Measure out the biggest box you can work with.
3. Find a driver that can work in that size of a box.

Trying to recycle boxes does not often work well
For that small of a box it will probably need to be sealed not ported...

Yes I understand you are trying to save a dollar, but why not do it right the first time?
jevchance likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-17-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Echoing what @buggers said, that is very small for a ported box and will not perform well with any subwoofer.

Build yourself a VBSS to start if you're trying to save money. Get the 1000D amp and a single VBSS box and then you can add a second one later.

--
Denon X1300W/DIYSG Fusion 12 LCR/Volt-10 Rears/Micca M-8C Heights
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
Epson 2030/DIY 110" AT Screen
Eosone RSF1000 for Enjoying Music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page