How to choose Magnet and coil-wire thickness of a speaker ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By smcmillan2

post #1 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to choose Magnet and coil-wire thickness of a speaker ?

Hello there,

I am working on a speaker as hobby. I can produce it. However, I need information to choose correct materials.

1- Cost is not important.

2-Which type of magnet should I use (neodymium*?) and I see they put the halo magnet then they use a device to convert it a permanent magnet, am I right ? How can I get that meterial as non-magnetized for, last where can I find a magnetizing machine I mean who do that ?

3-This speaker will be used in parties or concert like situations. Therefore, I should choose correct type I think I will need BASS, TWEETER, Mid-Woofer. I do not have idea about their wires' thickness how can I learn the correct thickness values ? Are there companies who make quality coils for this purpose ?

4-I want to use a wooden case I want to use a specific wood rather then MDF. Is that a good idea or MDF is the best others bad ?

Sorry For My English

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 117
To be clear you don't want help just choosing drivers for your speaker project, you will be making your own drivers from scratch?
post #3 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 05:38 PM

To answer 4, I read an article that states plywood is better than MDF in almost all cases. MDF being cheap and consistent is the reason for it's widespread use. So no, you are not limited to MDF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleNixon View Post
To be clear you don't want help just choosing drivers for your speaker project, you will be making your own drivers from scratch?
@DaleNixon ,

Yes, I will make everything. I can order 3D design. I can work on metal (all operations). I can order woods. I can make press operation to form anything. Only parameters needed The size will be about 100cms x 70cms. Most important thing will be coil and putting it there. Since thats hard I am trying to findout which wire thickness will used for each. I can also buy it which made suitable with this purpose but I do not know where to look.

So far I think i will use:
1BASS
1TWEETER
1MID-RANGE

For your answer at 4.

Yes, you are correct and thank you I will consider using the best wood I can find.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 06:50 PM

This is well beyond my pay grade. I'll let the others here with more technical knowledge chime in with their advice. I wish you luck and will be interested in how this turns out.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 06:55 PM

Wait...you want to make a 100 cms "centimeter" diameter speaker? Even more interesting...
post #7 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomidas View Post
Yes, I will make everything. I can order 3D design. I can work on metal (all operations). I can order woods. I can make press operation to form anything. Only parameters needed The size will be about 100cms x 70cms. Most important thing will be coil and putting it there. Since thats hard I am trying to findout which wire thickness will used for each. I can also buy it which made suitable with this purpose but I do not know where to look.

So far I think i will use:
1BASS
1TWEETER
1MID-RANGE
What are your plans for crossovers? Active? What FR are you after? Sensitivity?

I'm not sure you're going to get too many helpful responses in this thread as the vast majority of the folks that frequent this forum build speakers/subwoofers using existing drivers. Have you approached any speaker manufacturers (Celestion, Eminence, ScanSpeak, etc.) with your questions?
gomidas likes this.

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #8 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I would try to take some sort of class on how to build speaker (drivers) first. I don't know where you're located, but in Arizona Patrick Chandler has a school where he'll teach how to pick and assemble subwoofer drivers. IIRC he does this in exchange for some labor around the place, etc, but I don't know the details. Bottom line, I'd start with learning how to make a bass driver from existing parts, see what's involved then piecemeal dive deeper into it.

Cool project, post about it if/when you do it!

Chris
post #9 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Making an actual driver absolutely from scratch that produces sound can be done. It won't sound good. It won't sound much like music. More like buzzing. It isn't just about winding a good coil and finding the right magnet (though that's important). The shape of the flux in relation to the coil, shorting rings etc, shape and stiffness of the suspension, surround, cone, dustcap, even details like how the leads are woven (or not) are important. Some companies invest significant cash into R&D over years just to make crappy sounding products (Pyle). Even crappy sounding drivers are difficult to design.

You could assemble drivers from some combination of existing motors and soft parts. A frankendriver of sorts. This has a much higher liklihood of at least producing crappy sounding music, not just crappy sounding indeterminate buzzing.

If you want to do either of those as a hobby then by all means, let us know how it turns out.

If you want to make something likely to be useful for parties or concert type applications, then let your design center around choosing the right combination of drivers and designing appropriate crossovers and cabinets. Many hobbyists spend a lifetime getting good at just that that part, and that alone is a surprisingly deep and complicated undertaking. But rewarding.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
... Are there companies who make quality coils for this purpose ?...
Quote:
...Most important thing will be coil...I can also buy it which made suitable with this purpose but I do not know where to look...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+coil&_sacat=0

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #11 of 13 Old 10-15-2019, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
What are your plans for crossovers? Active? What FR are you after? Sensitivity?

I'm not sure you're going to get too many helpful responses in this thread as the vast majority of the folks that frequent this forum build speakers/subwoofers using existing drivers. Have you approached any speaker manufacturers (Celestion, Eminence, ScanSpeak, etc.) with your questions?

Thank you at Celestion page I found everything I want. Specifications were good. I am looking for sensivity. If I got correct you mean with sensivity HZ values. The sound should be like glass. I did not know those brands since low quality productions sould in my country. I may buy the drivers as I will lose nothing with just trying them

If you think there is a better manufacturer or if you have an advice about those brand names (Celestion, Eminence, ScanPeak) please let me know.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-16-2019, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
"Making an actual driver absolutely from scratch that produces sound can be done. It won't sound good. It won't sound much like music. More like buzzing."
Thanks for your interest and sharing time. My English is not well to understand every word correctly. The word "stratch" I got wrong. Here I am talking about exactly producing the driver parts like suspension metal case, paper part and coil. I do not claim I can design something but I can exactly make a copy of a existing driver. Here in factory there are about 100 workers who can produce those parts with CNC machines or Press Machines. There are at least 5 CNC ies. However, at this time I may consider buying drivers instead of producing it because production of everything will take long time.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-18-2019, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Are you planning on selling the drivers you make after copying them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
bass , coil , mid-woofer , speaker , wire

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page