• 3 Post By BlueGhost
  • 1 Post By lawdogx

post #1 of 17 Old 10-19-2019, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Home Theatre DIY Check

Building a home theatre and planning to replace my older speakers with DYI. Being very new to speakers and DIY I thought it would be good to check in with a lot smarter people on this topic.

Based on the DIY Sound Group .com here is my thinking. Let me know does this sound correct and or logical?

2 x Elusive 1099 (left and right channels)
1 x Elusive 1099 (center channel)

Model: The Elusive 1099
Frequency Response: 50hz - 20khz (+/-3db)
Power Range: 10 - 600 watts
Sensitivity: 99db - 2.83v/1m
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Tweeter: Denovo Audio
Midrange * 2: 5" Celestion T5306AWP
Woofer * 2: Custom Eminence 10"
Enclosure Type: Ported
Dimensions: 12.5" W x 36.25" H x 14.5" D

4 x Volt-8 (side and back)
The baffle is 11" x 15.5" with slot ports.

4 x Volt-8 (ceiling)
I'm building a small sealed cabinet for Atmos use and need the 10.5" x 10.5" baffle

Model: Volt-8
Frequency Response:
65hz - 20khz (ported)
95hz - 20khz (Atmos)
Power Range: 10 - 400 watts
Sensitivity: 94db - 2.83v/1m
Impedance: 8 Ohm
Tweeter: Denovo Audio DNA-150
Crossover Point: 2000hz
Woofer: Denovo Audio CX-08
Enclosure Type: Ported or Sealed Atmos

For Subs
Look to do a mini Marty and a Cube.
Reference: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...tysub-faq.html

Room is 2570 feet cuft

For Australian people the room is 7m x 4m x 2.6m
73m2

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers.png
Views:	49
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	2629492  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-19-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1257 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
give us a pictorial layout /placement

ow sound choices

tho some will want more woofage, if there's room

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #3 of 17 Old 10-19-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 1616
I was going to say the same speaker list looks great but I would vote more subs also

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Craig S King likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-19-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
At least two Full Martys, and don't look back. Everything else looks fine.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-19-2019, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
give us a pictorial layout /placement
See images, have removed the acoustically transparent screen, sidewall, and columns for side and rear surrounds.

So general feedback would be 2 full Martys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side_speakers.png
Views:	38
Size:	791.5 KB
ID:	2629578   Click image for larger version

Name:	top_speakers.png
Views:	45
Size:	554.0 KB
ID:	2629580   Click image for larger version

Name:	angle_speakers.png
Views:	42
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2629582  

Last edited by koolego; 10-20-2019 at 12:08 AM.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-20-2019, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You should do 3 identical 1099s, if they are going behind a AT screen there is no reason for a horizontal center.
htpc-geek, Saber008 and NotShorty like this.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-20-2019, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGhost View Post
You should do 3 identical 1099s, if they are going behind a AT screen there is no reason for a horizontal center.
Good point thanks
post #8 of 17 Old 10-20-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Nice looking list! If you changed nothing you’d be very happy with the result. Still, I’ll throw out a few ideas for your consideration.

1. The volt 8’s are $161. The HTM-8’s are a step up in quality, but are 50% more expensive. This was always the dilemma, whether to spend more for the next step up. Enter the HT series. Now for the same price as the volt 8’s you can get speakers that, according to several reviews, are the near sonic equivalent of the HTM’s. You may have other considerations for choosing volts for surrounds, but for the same money I’d look hard at the HT-8’s for surrounds.

2. Subs. REW will tell you the where and the how many. That number may be two or it may be more, again, REW will let you know the minimum you can get away with. Assuming it’s two, some flavor of Marty is a great choice. General advice is to use the largest box you can accommodate. However, if you look at the specs , they all have about the same footprint. The difference is in the height (so floor real estate isn’t a deciding factor). There’s a pretty big jump performance from the cube to the mini or full, and a small jump between the mini and the full. If you have the space for a full, do it. If not, the mini doesn’t give up very much.

3. Regarding the horizontal center, if you have a reason for needing it don’t worry about using it. I have equipment directly below my screen and need a horizontal center. I merely elevate it so the tweeters are in-line with the left and right tweeters and it works great. If you can accommodate vertical l-c-r that’s great, but if you cannot I wouldn’t be too concerned about the horizontal orientation provided your tweeters are all at ear height.
asarose247 likes this.

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's and 2 x 21DS114-4 Devastators
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 3 x NX6000d.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-20-2019, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
Nice looking list! If you changed nothing you’d be very happy with the result. Still, I’ll throw out a few ideas for your consideration.

1. The volt 8’s are $161. The HTM-8’s are a step up in quality, but are 50% more expensive. This was always the dilemma, whether to spend more for the next step up. Enter the HT series. Now for the same price as the volt 8’s you can get speakers that, according to several reviews, are the near sonic equivalent of the HTM’s. You may have other considerations for choosing volts for surrounds, but for the same money I’d look hard at the HT-8’s for surrounds.

2. Subs. REW will tell you the where and the how many. That number may be two or it may be more, again, REW will let you know the minimum you can get away with. Assuming it’s two, some flavor of Marty is a great choice. General advice is to use the largest box you can accommodate. However, if you look at the specs , they all have about the same footprint. The difference is in the height (so floor real estate isn’t a deciding factor). There’s a pretty big jump performance from the cube to the mini or full, and a small jump between the mini and the full. If you have the space for a full, do it. If not, the mini doesn’t give up very much.

3. Regarding the horizontal center, if you have a reason for needing it don’t worry about using it. I have equipment directly below my screen and need a horizontal center. I merely elevate it so the tweeters are in-line with the left and right tweeters and it works great. If you can accommodate vertical l-c-r that’s great, but if you cannot I wouldn’t be too concerned about the horizontal orientation provided your tweeters are all at ear height.
That’s an Awesome response @lawdogx thank you.

One of the reasons for posting the question is to leverage the experience from people such as yourself which just paid off. The volts was just what I was hearing, the HT-8’s sound awesome and will replace the volts.

Point 1
Reason for the volt 8’s was based on what I am hearing other posts. The HTM-8 would be a reach as I am also replacing my projector to a JVC and non 4k amp to a Denon 6500.
https://www.au.denon.com/au/product/...iver/avcx6500h

Point 2
Will go with the full-size Marty’s given your cand everyone's comments.

Point 3
Just trying to fit everything in behind the screen and line up the atmos and rear speakers, I will shift things around so it all fits with a vertical center speaker thank you.

A couple of questions:
For the Atmos, I notice you have 4 x RSL C34E's. Are you happy with them if so I will use them as well.
Working backwards to the amp, do you think the Denon would handle the speakers, I know I will need an Amp for the subs but not sure about the rest?

Any and all feedback is welcome.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-21-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 466
you need more subs I would go for atleast 4 18s or two of the 21" ones. For your atmos build a box that is at a 45 degree angle. Those volts firing straight down have poor off axis response. You could also go with something like the RSl in ceilings for atmos. Its what I plan on using to pair with my 1099s. I use klipsch for surrounds. and it all blends nicely.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #11 of 17 Old 10-21-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolego View Post
A couple of questions:
For the Atmos, I notice you have 4 x RSL C34E's. Are you happy with them if so I will use them as well.
Working backwards to the amp, do you think the Denon would handle the speakers, I know I will need an Amp for the subs but not sure about the rest?
Those RSL’s are the only holdout from my old system, I’ve replaced everything else with DIY options (and have found all my replacements to be an upgrade). Honestly, I want to not like the RSL’s so I can replace them and have a complete, efficient, high-end system, but they just sound great. They have no business performing as well as they do for what they cost. My stone cold honest assessment is that they are dirt cheap and sound very good, and they are angled and aimable (I think it’s only 15 degrees but I found that to make an audible difference in sq). On the downside, they’re on the bigger side so the cut-out is like 10”, and they’re rated at 88db sensitivity. Every other speaker I have is running in the -4 to -8 range and these run at +4 or +5. What difference does that make at my seat? None that I can tell, they sound very good, they’re just like 10 dB less efficient than the rest of my system.

I’m running the same speakers you’re looking at in a room twice the size of yours and my x4400 drives all my speakers to ear-splitting levels (including the RSL’s at their positive trim). Those diysg speakers are so efficient that it doesn’t take much to drive them. An x6500 will have no trouble at all.

Regarding subs, have you pushed whatever sub you have now around your room and run sweeps with rew? You may be one of those outrageously lucky guys who puts a sub or two in a convenient location and it provides perfect response. More likely though, you’re going to have to hunt for a good spot and then hunt again for a spot that fills in whatever nulls exist at that first spot. This was the single biggest lesson I learned on avs and the biggest jump in sound quality I experienced. I spent 10 plus years with subs in convenient locations without knowing they they were only delivering bass in narrow peaks within the bass spectrum. A $75 umik-1 and free rew software will be the best bang-for-the-buck home theater investment you will ever make. You can stack multiple 21” full Marty’s on top of each other, but if they’re sitting in a null your response will be poor.

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's and 2 x 21DS114-4 Devastators
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 3 x NX6000d.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
you need more subs I would go for atleast 4 18s or two of the 21" ones. For your atmos build a box that is at a 45 degree angle. Those volts firing straight down have poor off axis response. You could also go with something like the RSl in ceilings for atmos. Its what I plan on using to pair with my 1099s. I use klipsch for surrounds. and it all blends nicely.
I can vouch for the 21s in the right box there amazing and definitely a step up from the 18s

post #13 of 17 Old 10-21-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Whatever you decide on subs, go with a matching pair.

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Volt-10 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS on the Way
DIY 110" AT Screen
post #14 of 17 Old 10-21-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

For Subs
Look to do a mini Marty and a Cube.
Reference: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...tysub-faq.html

Great list... BUT.... BEFORE you start cutting..... check out this nasty beast and its the SAME SIZE as the mini Marty...... Mini Devastator. TWO of these will put you well on your way to bass nirvana....

Juju

Wish List: 2- Red Five DEVASTATOR MINI, 2- Red Five DEVASTATOR LFE, 1- BOSS platform.
Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html

post #15 of 17 Old 10-22-2019, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post

Regarding subs, have you pushed whatever sub you have now around your room and run sweeps with rew?

I wish I could but will have to wait.

Well, you see around 7 years ago I set up a basic home theatre system in an office when someone gave me a motorized screen. This will explain why my system is old and not so relevant anymore. Living in a pole home (see image) I had no real way to build a theatre room. To do this I had to buy a house that my wife liked and in doing so acquired two bedrooms and a hallway (after we added a second story) to build my home theatre. It's been a long journey so far.

I am currently building it now so asking the questions around speakers before the gyprock (drywall) and green glue goes up.

My speakers (my first speaker set)
https://www.jamo.com/products/e875
https://www.jamo.com/products/e8sur-2#
https://www.jamo.com/products/e8sur-2
https://www.jamo.com/products/e825

So I am hoping the sub will work somewhere at the front behind the screen as I don't have much room anywhere else to put them given the size.

Your RSL sound great and will do me well for now thank you. I will also have to get an umik-1 to play with. It sounds like fun.

What do you think of the new Aggressive 1299 from DIY group? Worth the extra couple of dollars?
https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-t...sive-1299.html

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polehome.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	2630562   Click image for larger version

Name:	theatreRoom.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	2630564  

Last edited by koolego; 10-22-2019 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Insert photo
post #16 of 17 Old 10-22-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd0823 View Post
I can vouch for the 21s in the right box there amazing and definitely a step up from the 18s

I can vouch that you and @lemonslush will get me divorce we feedback like that.

Not only do I have the cost of building the room, but I also have the cost of all new equipment (amp, JVC, screen, etc) and already I am 200% over budget, my wife will divorce or shoot me if I keep increasing the spend.

Thanks, I do like them......
post #17 of 17 Old 10-22-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can vouch that you and @lemonslush will get me divorce we feedback like that.

Not only do I have the cost of building the room, but I also have the cost of all new equipment (amp, JVC, screen, etc) and already I am 200% over budget, my wife will divorce or shoot me if I keep increasing the spend.

Thanks, I do like them......
Lol well the lavoce 21s on sale can be had for not much cost difference from a 18 sometimes cheaper depending the 18 being used

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page