diy sub question - Infinite Baffle - 4 fi-car 18's in a single opposed manifold - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-26-2019, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
diy sub question - Infinite Baffle - 4 fi-car 18's in a single opposed manifold

i am building an infinite baffle sub with 4 18's in a single opposed box. i am trying to finalize the placement of the box.
due to my room layout the only option I have is he left wall of the room. this would be under the staircase and there is plenty of room back there for the sub.
My placement options are
option 1.
studs right to the left of the front left tower speaker cabinet. i think this would not be a good idea to have the sound outout right by the speaker cabinet
option 2
studs would place the output of the sub on the left and right in the front of the speaker. see picture. will this cause any interference of the sound output with the sub and the speaker?
option 3.
studs further away from the left front speaker however this leaves me where the top driver in the manifold will have its rear end very close to the bottom side of the stairs. i can use insulation here to dampen the sound reflection.

Any thoughts. i have the drivers and wood for the cabinet purchased and need to start cutting as soon as my decision is made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	25
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	2632342  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Do you have a way to measure these locations? I just recently built and IB set up with the $30 JBL 12's with two manifolds of six each. I measured possible locations by placing a sub at the MLP and placed the mic at the potential locations. This will at least give you an idea of which of the three has the best frequency response. I was going to use the IB318 v2's but the JBL's were so much less in cost.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 1617
Please watch these videos. Steve does an excellent job explaining things. I encourage you to do at least two manifolds with 2 opposed drivers each. This will reduce the resonance of the “slot” that will be created in the manifold and allow you to fix more nulls in your room. Steve’s latest video covers the topic of subwoofer placement, room modes etc. if your room is closed you can reasonably mode where to put your seats and your subs for the best sound.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwx...ORcMS9FmIaH1jQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-26-2019, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Please watch these videos. Steve does an excellent job explaining things. I encourage you to do at least two manifolds with 2 opposed drivers each. This will reduce the resonance of the “slot” that will be created in the manifold and allow you to fix more nulls in your room. Steve’s latest video covers the topic of subwoofer placement, room modes etc. if your room is closed you can reasonably mode where to put your seats and your subs for the best sound.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwx...ORcMS9FmIaH1jQ
my options are limited. i just have the 1 wall i can build something on. the front wall is not an option.
the room is not very well sealed as it is an L shaped and opens into a hallway and an office (it does have doors)

i might be able to put 2 sets of manifolds in here with 2 drivers each on the same wall but they will only be seperated by a set of studs or maybe 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page