He's dead Jim, he turned the knob to 11 - A Dual Mini Devastator Build - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 189Likes

post #181 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Just a warning, bass scenes seem to be getting hotter, lol.

I had my setup tuned using JW1 and oblivion. Had run JW2 also, good to go.

Then ran RP1. Yeah, sealed HT-18’s attempting to melt down, hitting clip lights on mini’s. That was unexpected.
I’m currently rewiring for 2500w to each mini, see if the extra 3db helps. Only issue with phoenix amps and minidsp, wiring isn’t quick plug and play.

I’ll have to pick up 2049, haven’t seen that one yet.

At least mini dev’s should be more child-proof than stormbreaker.

Chris

I also use RP1 to set my clip lights. That into scene seems to be crazy hot. Great for setting gain structure but for level it can leave us bass heads wanting more bass in a standard mixed track.

Always destroying exergy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle View Post
I also use RP1 to set my clip lights. That into scene seems to be crazy hot. Great for setting gain structure but for level it can leave us bass heads wanting more bass in a standard mixed track.

Yep, I came up with that side effect also. Which is why I’m throwing double power at the mini’s, and why I’m avoiding significant additional tuning till I have more firepower. I ran out of headroom.
And yes, it also showed me gain structure issues, lol.

Chris
post #183 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 647
I remember 9, been a long time since I have seen it. The 144min mark gun shot in JW3 should give me an idea of where I am at for output. That bottomed out a few subs around here unexpectedly.

Gain structure is going to be fun, I would like the output stage to be 1db ahead of the input signal. The nice thing is with the DSP you can see that in the application, some fiddling with pink noise, knobs and the gain setting in the amp should hopefully do it.

Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Mini Devastator Build
You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | 3000DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
I remember 9, been a long time since I have seen it. The 144min mark gun shot in JW3 should give me an idea of where I am at for output. That bottomed out a few subs around here unexpectedly.

Gain structure is going to be fun, I would like the output stage to be 1db ahead of the input signal. The nice thing is with the DSP you can see that in the application, some fiddling with pink noise, knobs and the gain setting in the amp should hopefully do it.

Gain structure is a PITA, lol. I had to back down to -9db trim on my avr, even though its listed as 1.something volt preouts, and my minidsp bal has 4v input. Gotta live dynamic peak vs RMS.

Chris
post #185 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gain structure is a PITA, lol. I had to back down to -9db trim on my avr, even though its listed as 1.something volt preouts, and my minidsp bal has 4v input. Gotta live dynamic peak vs RMS.

Chris

-9db is a good thing. You really do not want that input signal from the AVR clipping before it reaches the amplifier. My old sub sits at -7db and the AVR can only adjust down to -10db. I think the 3070 ran the LFE hot, just so I would not be pissed off after running an 8 point measurement and the angle measurements just to have the sub be out of range. For Yamaha AVRs a lot of guys like running an additional 3db on the sub trim adjust and another 3db on the bass tone setting. For that you want the sub level at least -6db to ensure it does not clip the LFE output signal. Turning the knob all the way to the left on the in line amp would take 6db off of the signal if the 3070 says it is too hot, that is the backup plan lol.

You can always turn it down, but you can only turn it up so much (before you run out of power, excursion or structural integrity).
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | 3000DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
post #186 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

He's dead Jim, he turned the knob to 11 - A Dual Mini Devastator Build

Quote:
-9db is a good thing. You really do not want that input signal from the AVR clipping before it reaches the amplifier. My old sub sits at -7db and the AVR can only adjust down to -10db. I think the 3070 ran the LFE hot, just so I would not be pissed off after running an 8 point measurement and the angle measurements just to have the sub be out of range. For Yamaha AVRs a lot of guys like running an additional 3db on the sub trim adjust and another 3db on the bass tone setting. For that you want the sub level at least -6db to ensure it does not clip the LFE output signal. Turning the knob all the way to the left on the in line amp would take 6db off of the signal if the 3070 says it is too hot, that is the backup plan lol.

-9db was giving me 1-2db headroom on the Minidsp. I do need to run the EOT intro with the subs muted though, I believe thats as hot as physically possible.

EDIT: that was with volume 3db above where I run it too.

Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 11-19-2019 at 08:15 AM.
post #187 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I’ve found the best way to do it is with 0db square wave in REW with all speakers unplugged. Let’s you really dial things in without the worry of any loud noises. Once I finish that I fire up RP1 and check. The first will allow me to set the relationship between input and output while the second I just use to ensure no further attenuation is required. Usually about 20 minutes or so total. Keep in mind AVR is set to 0 in speaker settings when I do this. Basically I try to set it where if I turn everything up to the max it is truly the max anything less than that and I know I’m safe for anything.

Using the Chinese amp on my BMD only I have been able to reach output around 128db at MLP and still didn’t reach max although I was darn close. I had no idea 130db was as loud as it is lol those with systems exceeding 140 are nuts. I’m really hoping I can add in the two minis soon to at least add another 4 db to the max output!

post #188 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’ve found the best way to do it is with 0db square wave in REW with all speakers unplugged. Let’s you really dial things in without the worry of any loud noises. Once I finish that I fire up RP1 and check. The first will allow me to set the relationship between input and output while the second I just use to ensure no further attenuation is required. Usually about 20 minutes or so total. Keep in mind AVR is set to 0 in speaker settings when I do this. Basically I try to set it where if I turn everything up to the max it is truly the max anything less than that and I know I’m safe for anything.

Using the Chinese amp on my BMD only I have been able to reach output around 128db at MLP and still didn’t reach max although I was darn close. I had no idea 130db was as loud as it is lol those with systems exceeding 140 are nuts. I’m really hoping I can add in the two minis soon to at least add another 4 db to the max output!

I should shut the amps down and send some sine and square waves at the mini dsp, good idea.

I’d hope the mini’s add some, lol. Just my pair were breaking 130db at mlp for a decent chunk of the spectrum, and on 1250w each before clip light. The mic gave up before the subs. I was close to grabbing some ear pro as well, and the house wasn’t happy.

Chris
post #189 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have some MDF left over so shelves to put the towers behind the screen I am thinking this. The weight on the wall should help mitigate the screen vibrating as much.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf concept.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	2643032   Click image for larger version

Name:	EV15 specs.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	2643034  

post #190 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 215
AT screens are surprisingly shake-resilient. I have a DIY AT screen made of spandex, with my 4 10's and dual VBSS back there I've never seen a vibration. The projector will vibrate before the screen.

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Volt-10 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
DIY 110" AT Screen
post #191 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
AT screens are surprisingly shake-resilient. I have a DIY AT screen made of spandex, with my 4 10's and dual VBSS back there I've never seen a vibration. The projector will vibrate before the screen.

The screen jumps around because it is coupled to the wall, the 21DS115 was a beast, I thought it was the projector more than the screen, but I was wrong. I should over engineer this a bit more. The height speakers will rest on top of the towers, not sure if I trust the MDF that much. The height speaker and tower will just fit inside the screen frame if my math is correct by two inches.

post #192 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The screen jumps around because it is coupled to the wall, the 21DS115 was a beast, I thought it was the projector more than the screen, but I was wrong. I should over engineer this a bit more. The height speakers will rest on top of the towers, not sure if I trust the MDF that much. The height speaker and tower will just fit inside the screen frame if my math is correct by two inches.

I definitely don’t trust mdf that much. I’d rather buy additional plywood than have a speaker come down.

Interesting on the screen. Mine is directly attached to the wall, draper screen in frame. The motion in mine is definitely from the projector though, it gets to blurring pretty good at certain frequencies.
Then again, my wall is against the concrete block outer wall, so probably not a fair comparison.

Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 11-19-2019 at 09:26 PM.
post #193 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’ve found the best way to do it is with 0db square wave in REW with all speakers unplugged. Let’s you really dial things in without the worry of any loud noises. Once I finish that I fire up RP1 and check. The first will allow me to set the relationship between input and output while the second I just use to ensure no further attenuation is required.

Are you using HDMI on your computer to do this? I just tried, and the 0db square wave was only -7db on the minidsp. The RP1 race peaks are quite a bit higher, saw -2db on kong.
@Red Five , your modeling of the mini with ds seems to be correct. I finally found the limits with 2500w each. Touching the clip lights caused some unhappy noises. Backed it down 1.5db and its happy. I believe you modeled 2000w to push the driver to 1/3 gap, so seems to match.

Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 11-19-2019 at 10:32 PM.
post #194 of 252 Old 11-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Just a little some thing interesting.....

Let the BASSHEADS say DB!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	church of BASS.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	2643292  

Wish List: 1- Red Five DEVASTATOR MINI, 2- Red Five DEVASTATOR LFE, 1- BOSS platform.
Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html

post #195 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are you using HDMI on your computer to do this? I just tried, and the 0db square wave was only -7db on the minidsp. The RP1 race peaks are quite a bit higher, saw -2db on kong.

Chris

When I do it I make sure to run through the entire frequency spectrum. Also make sure you max the output in rew. It sounds like something might be off. When I did it I was actually able to clip the input of the mini dsp HD but may be due to different receivers. I run my mini now at -2 to ensure it doesn’t clip. Just make sure not to actually play it though the subwoofers lol. Square waves can be pretty harsh on subs. (That’s the intro to EOT)

post #196 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When I do it I make sure to run through the entire frequency spectrum. Also make sure you max the output in rew. It sounds like something might be off. When I did it I was actually able to clip the input of the mini dsp HD but may be due to different receivers. I run my mini now at -2 to ensure it doesn’t clip. Just make sure not to actually play it though the subwoofers lol. Square waves can be pretty harsh on subs. (That’s the intro to EOT)

I tried various frequencies in the sub range, didn’t use a sweep though. My minidsp bal has twice the voltage capability of the HD, so that may be some of the difference. Different receivers, different master volume from receiver, plus i have the sub trim at -9db.
The interesting part to me isn’t the overall level, but the fact that the signal from RP1 is hotter at same receiver settings than the 0db square wave from REW.
Setting the minidsp input down -2db doesn’t avoid clipping, btw. It just reduced the output voltage of the still clipped signal. You need to use the avr sub trim to avoid clipping the minidsp input.
And yes, I did that testing with all three amps off. I like to keep the magic smoke inside my subs. Also, contrary to evidence, I do prefer to keep my hearing and drywall intact.

Chris

Last edited by a77cj7; 11-20-2019 at 09:53 PM.
post #197 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried various frequencies in the sub range, didn’t use a sweep though. My minidsp bal has twice the voltage capability of the HD, so that may be some of the difference. Different receivers, different master volume from receiver, plus i have the sub trim at -9db.
The interesting part to me isn’t the overall level, but the fact that the signal from RP1 is hotter at same receiver settings than the 0db square wave from REW.
Setting the minidsp input down -2db doesn’t avoid clipping, btw. It just reduced the output voltage of the still clipped signal. You need to use the avr sub trim to avoid clipping the minidsp input.
And yes, I did that testing with all three amps off. I like to keep the magic smoke inside my amps. Also, contrary to evidence, J do prefer to keep my hearing and drywall intact.

Chris

That is odd that it is so much higher than the REW output for sure. I know it’s hot but that basically matched what I was getting from an input standpoint. When you set up the 0db output use the arrows to slowly work through the frequency range of the sub. You should see the input move up and down a little even with no PEQ. I also do it with the AVR at 0. If it still doesn’t work the another good method is one I think you are already doing. Just play RP1 though the PC and watch the mini dsp and adjust lol a little more crude but equally effective!

post #198 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is odd that it is so much higher than the REW output for sure. I know it’s hot but that basically matched what I was getting from an input standpoint. When you set up the 0db output use the arrows to slowly work through the frequency range of the sub. You should see the input move up and down a little even with no PEQ. I also do it with the AVR at 0. If it still doesn’t work the another good method is one I think you are already doing. Just play RP1 though the PC and watch the mini dsp and adjust lol a little more crude but equally effective!

I’ll mess with it more tonight. I didn’t notice significant differences in level at various frequencies though. I have no eq/room correction set up in my receiver, so that may make a difference.
Blu ray is played from sony blu ray player, so different source, btw.

Chris
post #199 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ll mess with it more tonight. I didn’t notice significant differences in level at various frequencies though. I have no eq/room correction set up in my receiver, so that may make a difference.
Blu ray is played from sony blu ray player, so different source, btw.

Chris

Yeah seems like a lot of differences which could add up to different experiences for sure. I rip all my Blu-ray’s into my Plex server and everything I play goes through my HTPC.

post #200 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jujuman200 View Post
Let the BASSHEADS say DB!!!!
I've driven by that church a number of times and never really realized how much it does look like a subwoofer pointing down at the congregation. EPIC!
jujuman200 likes this.

--
Epson 2030 - Denon X1300W - Eosone RSF 1000 - Eosone RSC 300 - Volt-10 - Micca M-8C for ATMOS
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
DIY 110" AT Screen
post #201 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Red Five , your modeling of the mini with ds seems to be correct. I finally found the limits with 2500w each. Touching the clip lights caused some unhappy noises. Backed it down 1.5db and its happy. I believe you modeled 2000w to push the driver to 1/3 gap, so seems to match.

Chris

I forgot which inductance model showed 2/3 gap at 2500 watts. Considering you hit the limiter and Crown is usually conservative in rating power output, it could have been a little over the 2/3 gap mark at which point the DS will let you know it is displeased with your actions.

post #202 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A few quick updates. The terminators are being a PITA, before going into the box I could tug on them with a good amount of force and they did not come loose. The vibration from the subs though seems to break the crimps loose, so I will forced to have them soldered as an additional measure.

The bass is smooth and the SPL is harder to register. I gave them a little power with some music and very shortly there after had the wife yelling down the stairs at me. I really want to know what these will do after being calibrated
superkyle and a77cj7 like this.

post #203 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevchance View Post
I've driven by that church a number of times and never really realized how much it does look like a subwoofer pointing down at the congregation. EPIC!

Where is that Church located?
post #204 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
A few quick updates. The terminators are being a PITA, before going into the box I could tug on them with a good amount of force and they did not come loose. The vibration from the subs though seems to break the crimps loose, so I will forced to have them soldered as an additional measure.

The bass is smooth and the SPL is harder to register. I gave them a little power with some music and very shortly there after had the wife yelling down the stairs at me. I really want to know what these will do after being calibrated

Terminators....you can silicone them in place....

I'm glad you like the Minis.... looking forward to my build..... picking up wood on Friday..... WOOT!! WOOT!!

Juju
Red Five likes this.

Wish List: 1- Red Five DEVASTATOR MINI, 2- Red Five DEVASTATOR LFE, 1- BOSS platform.

post #205 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, did a decent 8 point measurement, they sound awesome!
jujuman200 and a77cj7 like this.

post #206 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujuman200 View Post
Terminators....you can silicone them in place....

I thought you had to lower them into liquid metal?

Chris
jujuman200 likes this.
post #207 of 252 Old 11-20-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
I thought you had to lower them into liquid metal?

Chris
Nice.....
Juju

post #208 of 252 Old 11-21-2019, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Minis really shine with upright bass. They also have smooth chunk for slap bass. I would say that is where they put the most distance between them and the DS, at least for the moment.
jujuman200 likes this.

post #209 of 252 Old 11-22-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am having fun with filters. This thing really does not eat much power until you get under 30Hz, then it gets hungry.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Filter fun Mini Dev.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	2644082  

post #210 of 252 Old 11-22-2019, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Put the amp in protect mode, AVR calibrated the subs 5 db or so hotter than the DS. They really rattle stuff, but do not sound as loud as a DR, it's weird.

Edit: played more music and bass test tracks. Clean and laid back, it all sounds very effortless. My left ear was bothering me a bit, they are most likely louder than perceived.
jujuman200 likes this.

Last edited by Red Five; 11-22-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
devastator , lavoce san184.03 , mini devastator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page