AVS Forum banner

He's dead Jim, he turned the knob to 11 - A Dual Mini Devastator Build and Stuff

34K views 271 replies 22 participants last post by  Red Five 
#1 · (Edited)
The build is on! Just picked up materials from Lowe's, now for the long building process. The SAF184.03 is out of stock everywhere I looked, so I had to go with the SAN184.03. Both handle in a similar manner in the Mini Devastator. The design for the Mini Devastator is found here - The Devastator Index

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the guy missed 48.5".... At least the tallest panel is 40", so I can work around this.

#11 ·
And here I am also wanting something to replace the V3611s in front of my screen. Issue is, I can't go taller than ~23".

How deep can you go? An 18" can easily fit in 23" wide.

#13 ·
A lot more progress than anticipated! Took a half hour at my buddies cabinet shop to cut the MDF.

#17 ·
Since Home Depot is a long drive for paint, I am looking at this. Thoughts?

Attachments

#36 ·
Thoughts?

Just stumbled upon your thread. I really enjoy these build threads as they keep my head filled with plenty of great ideas...although my wife thinks it's a bit psychotic. Lol

As for your choice of coatings, I think adding the "Ultradeep" Base should work great for not only the appearance, but it should also make for some better TR & increased "Base" response. ;)

Enjoy your build, and I look forward to seeing the final results & impressions.

Darrell

#21 ·
I could see getting one if I did wood working projects more often. Right now I need a few toys to sell, subs ate my budget.

#22 · (Edited)
A couple sheets together on the first box!

#29 ·
Serious skills with that jigsaw. Who needs a router when you can cut holes that cleanly:)

#34 ·
It is really the saw, you should have seen how badly I botched the holes on the first Stormbreaker baffles with my buddies all or nothing saw with no orbital curve.

#39 ·
The index has been created for the many variants. The Mini is for 18"s, the PA460 does well in there. The sim is in the Mini post if I recall correctly. It is down around 8db vs a higher excursion higher power handling sub.

#40 ·
Some progress today. Hoping to get the side and bottom on the 1st Dev and the bottom port board on the 2nd Dev. Quiet mode has been a must during the time I could work today, so I limited as to what I can do without nails.

#44 ·
The wife has a heavy work week, so I will have to slow it down. The bottoms will have to get sanded down to be flush. I think the glue eats up some space during assembly. I cannot wait to fire these things up!

#51 ·
He's dead Jim, he turned the knob to 11 - A Mini Devastator Build

One more thought: If it makes sense for your workspace, maybe try sealing off part of the room with painters plastic. Keep the destruction contained if your dust collection fails.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#55 · (Edited)
The second one now looks like a Devastator :) That's it for today.

#65 ·
I am thinking of changing my paint direction, the project budget is getting pretty tight and this is much cheaper than the Sherwin Williams stuff....

Attachments

#66 ·

Should work. And if not, just paint over the top in the future.

At least you all have the woofers and amp. Now its just the little stuff to nickel and dime you.

Chris

#72 ·

I was running the RP1 bomb scene last night, since it really caused issues for my sealed subs. (Ended up with a new tune with the sealed 6db down, lol)
Once I had everything playing well, sat down at MLP and enjoyed it. The amount of air movement felt from the mini’s is crazy. That’s 8ft from the mouth. Might as well have a fan on.
I just keep enjoying these subs more every time I use them.

@Red Five, not to rush your build or anything :D

Chris

#73 ·
I was running the RP1 bomb scene last night, since it really caused issues for my sealed subs. (Ended up with a new tune with the sealed 6db down, lol)
Once I had everything playing well, sat down at MLP and enjoyed it. The amount of air movement felt from the mini’s is crazy. That’s 8ft from the mouth. Might as well have a fan on.
I just keep enjoying these subs more every time I use them.

@Red Five , not to rush your build or anything :D

Chris

I am looking forward to them :) JW2 have you ran that yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.