What New Sub to Pair with Marty Cube - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fazzz
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 108
What New Sub to Pair with Marty Cube

I'm itching to add another sub to my setup. Do I need another sub? Like most on here, definitely not. My wife thinks I'm going to crack the foundation of the house with what I currently have! But I have the space and would love to have some more bass.

I'd like to limit my build to an available kit from PE for simplicity's sake (and the fact that I'm not much of a builder beyond that). Which of these do you think would pair the best with my current Marty cube with 18" RSS460HO driver?

DA 18-22 Ultimax in 4' cube sealed box
RSS460HO Driver in 4' cube

Or should I absolutely not be pairing a sealed box with my current ported Marty?

Here's my current Marty cube (powered by an iNuke6000 and a pic with it my my theater next to my Fusion 8s.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7711.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	2634062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8758.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	2634064  
Fazzz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,824
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
What New Sub to Pair with Marty Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
I'm itching to add another sub to my setup. Do I need another sub? Like most on here, definitely not. My wife thinks I'm going to crack the foundation of the house with what I currently have! But I have the space and would love to have some more bass.



I'd like to limit my build to an available kit from PE for simplicity's sake (and the fact that I'm not much of a builder beyond that). Which of these do you think would pair the best with my current Marty cube with 18" RSS460HO driver?



DA 18-22 Ultimax in 4' cube sealed box

RSS460HO Driver in 4' cube



Or should I absolutely not be pairing a sealed box with my current ported Marty?



Here's my current Marty cube (powered by an iNuke6000 and a pic with it my my theater next to my Fusion 8s.





Not quite from PE, but:
https://shop.gsgad.com/collections/m...gsg-flat-packs

I would stick to similar tune ported to simplify integration.

A second cube with HO would be my choice.

Or if you have the space, a full or mini with a UM.

Chris


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a77cj7 is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 09:02 AM
Senior Member
 
lawdogx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 249
A bunch of us were just talking about this in another thread. There are reports of guys that can find that magic combination of timing, placement, phase, and slope that allow them to integrate different port tunes and configurations. There are many more (myself included) who banged their head against that wall and didn't find a satisfactory solution. I would definitely stick with configurations and port tunes that are as close as possible for ease of integration.

The GSG suggestion is a fantastic one. If you look on their "classified" section there's a guy from CT looking to split an order (would save you on shipping costs). I've built a half dozen of their subs and they're a very enjoyable and simple build.

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's and 2 x 21DS114-4 Devastators
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 3 x NX6000d.
lawdogx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Red Five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,961
Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked: 1199
I would also skip the sealed enclosure and do a ported box. It is hard saying what the room will do when it comes time to integrate the subs together. GSG has numerous flat pack options. Another cabinet with a similar tune would make a lot of sense. The UMs will most likely go on sale later next month. Black Friday turns into many new sub woofers around here.

This is the way...
Stormbreaker | WI HT Meet Thread | The Devastator Index | Dual Mini Devastator Build
7.2.4 | A3070 | XLS 1502 | 3000DSP | 2x Aphex 124A | 2x Bic EV15 | 7x Bic FH6 LCR | 2x Bic FH65-B | Epson 5010e | 120" DIY AT Screen | 2x Mini Devastators
Red Five is online now  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
Not quite from PE, but:
https://shop.gsgad.com/collections/m...gsg-flat-packs

I would stick to similar tune ported to simplify integration.

A second cube with HO would be my choice.

Or if you have the space, a full or mini with a UM.

Chris


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
A bunch of us were just talking about this in another thread. There are reports of guys that can find that magic combination of timing, placement, phase, and slope that allow them to integrate different port tunes and configurations. There are many more (myself included) who banged their head against that wall and didn't find a satisfactory solution. I would definitely stick with configurations and port tunes that are as close as possible for ease of integration.

The GSG suggestion is a fantastic one. If you look on their "classified" section there's a guy from CT looking to split an order (would save you on shipping costs). I've built a half dozen of their subs and they're a very enjoyable and simple build.
Looks like the consensus is to stay away from mixing sealed with ported subs. I hadn't heard of GSG before so thanks for sending over. Looks like it could be a very nice option. I bought my first Cube from DIY Soundgroup when they briefly offered Marty's.
Fazzz is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
a77cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sturgis, SD
Posts: 1,824
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazzz View Post
Looks like the consensus is to stay away from mixing sealed with ported subs. I hadn't heard of GSG before so thanks for sending over. Looks like it could be a very nice option. I bought my first Cube from DIY Soundgroup when they briefly offered Marty's.

More info about GSG:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...3024074?page=1

Chris


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a77cj7 is online now  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Hudsonville, MI
Posts: 573
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Definitely get an identical or similar sub, less banging head against the wall.

--
Denon X1300W/DIYSG Fusion 12 LCR/Volt-10 Rears/Micca M-8C Heights
2 @ VBSS End Tables - 2 More VBSS complete!
Epson 2030/DIY 110" AT Screen
Eosone RSF1000 for Enjoying Music
jevchance is online now  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Fazzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by a77cj7 View Post
More info about GSG:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...3024074?page=1

Chris


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Very helpful. I'm not here every day, but I don't know how I missed that. Love seeing businesses being born out of people's hobbies.
a77cj7 likes this.
Fazzz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off