4 x Sealed Dayton Audio Ultimax UM18-22 18" (Build Thread) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 115Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 101 Old 06-28-2020, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabubu View Post
Hi mkohman!

can you try to describe the difference in „sound“ between the Minimarty and the seald UM‘s?

I am in the same boat like you back than, have 4 Minimartys and 2 Martycubes and think to go all sealed; in my room it always sound ,don’t want to say boomy but never clean and tight .My room is a basement all concrete walls at about 4,8/7/2,25m.
Sure that's exactly the reason why I wanted to go sealed. With 6 x 18 inch sealer subwoofers I get well into the single digits I'm flat upto 5hz then rolls off. Sealed needs more power and more subs to perform at best. I get much cleaner, tight and fast accurate bass now. Also ULF Bass.. Hope this helps

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
ultrabubu and djblackfm like this.
mkohman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 101 Old 06-28-2020, 06:44 AM
Member
 
ultrabubu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Regensburg
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Sure that's exactly the reason why I wanted to go sealed. With 6 x 18 inch sealer subwoofers I get well into the single digits I'm flat upto 5hz then rolls off. Sealed needs more power and more subs to perform at best. I get much cleaner, tight and fast accurate bass now. Also ULF Bass.. Hope this helps

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Do you have also six UM‘s now? Can you give me more details about the room volume , what mains do you use, one um takes the full power from the NX? if I go a little bit bigger in volume, say 170l internal,would affect the result negatively? sorry for the lot of questions,but I struggling in the decision to go sealed or not
mkohman likes this.
ultrabubu is offline  
post #93 of 101 Old 06-28-2020, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabubu View Post
Do you have also six UM‘s now? Can you give me more details about the room volume , what mains do you use, one um takes the full power from the NX? if I go a little bit bigger in volume, say 170l internal,would affect the result negatively? sorry for the lot of questions,but I struggling in the decision to go sealed or not

Hi no problem at all, actually I have 4 x sealed UM18's and 2 x Sealed Faital Pro drivers. The UM's can take the full power of the NX indeed. going a bit bigger will not have any negative effect on the results the NX6000 is plenty of power for those subs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200628_145011.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	2750166  
lknhomeaudio likes this.
mkohman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 101 Old 06-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Member
 
ultrabubu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Regensburg
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Hi no problem at all, actually I have 4 x sealed UM18's and 2 x Sealed Faital Pro drivers. The UM's can take the full power of the NX indeed. going a bit bigger will not have any negative effect on the results the NX6000 is plenty of power for those subs
That looks very nice 👍 how do you integrated the two faital pro? do you create a 2 way bass system, the UMs from 5 to 50-60hz and the Faital from 50 to 120/150 for strong midbass? I also have a few Magnum-12 drivers that I wanna use to achieve that chest punch that some people talk about.
ultrabubu is offline  
post #95 of 101 Old 06-28-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 16463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Sure that's exactly the reason why I wanted to go sealed. With 6 x 18 inch sealer subwoofers I get well into the single digits I'm flat upto 5hz then rolls off. Sealed needs more power and more subs to perform at best. I get much cleaner, tight and fast accurate bass now. Also ULF Bass.. Hope this helps
So would you say that your bass is now "much cleaner, tight and fast accurate" because you went from ported to sealed, or because you went from a single sub to 6 subs, 6x the cone area, 6x the power?
CallingMrBenzo and mkohman like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips TR Curves
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Fusion-8 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
aron7awol is offline  
post #96 of 101 Old 06-28-2020, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
mkohman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 941
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 485
In all honesty that's a difficult question because I have never had 6 x ported subs, however I believe it possibly may be the combination of both having multiple subs and more power. I personally prefer sealed subs for movies absolutely nothing wrong with ported subs at all

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Krobar, Mike Butny and aron7awol like this.
mkohman is offline  
post #97 of 101 Old 06-29-2020, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
rfbrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Nice build, great attention to detail.

Our Old Space
New House
PSN: brotj7
rfbrang is offline  
post #98 of 101 Old 07-04-2020, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Krobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 319
@mkohman
I currently have a single UM18-22 Mini Marty in a small room and considering moving to dual sealed. I'm still collecting measurements but it looks like I have very strong flat bass 18-35hz and then struggle somewhat from 70hz+ with a single Mini Marty.

Can I ask what volume/size room are these lovely subs in?

Last edited by Krobar; 07-04-2020 at 04:50 AM.
Krobar is offline  
post #99 of 101 Old 07-04-2020, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Can you please post dimensions of the your subwoofer box? It looks very beautiful!
Stephan Mire is offline  
post #100 of 101 Old 07-07-2020, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Sure that's exactly the reason why I wanted to go sealed. With 6 x 18 inch sealer subwoofers I get well into the single digits I'm flat upto 5hz then rolls off. Sealed needs more power and more subs to perform at best. I get much cleaner, tight and fast accurate bass now. Also ULF Bass.. Hope this helps

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Can you please post dimensions of your subwoofer? How is the sound quality for music?
Stephan Mire is offline  
post #101 of 101 Old 07-07-2020, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Falonious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: West MI
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Mire View Post
Can you please post dimensions of your subwoofers?

Read the first post....it's right there.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
.
Falonious is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off